PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-03-2021, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Thanks for the nice comments, Radek.

I've been extremely neglectful about posting here, I see. But, I did set the model aside to deal with some family matters and then my wooden model projects(!).

I'm actually quite close to completing this Hanse Kogge von Bremen kit, so it's time to put some more focus on it and get it done.

Lately, I've been discovering parts on the sheets that should have been added to the model earlier. I had to dig back through the instruction images to find out where they go, and mostly found them.

However, I did discover some parts that the instructions missed. But, I manged to figure out where they went and got them into place.

Now, aside from the various little doo-dad parts, I'm starting to deal with more rigging issues. And, since the linen thread that comes with the kit is pure white, I've started dying it in preparation for use on the model. I've mostly used some wood dye to color the line. For darker, tarred line, I happen to have a jar of the old Floquil Marine Colors Dark Stockholm Tar Rigging Stain. Mostly, turns the line a dark brownish gray.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1825.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1826.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1829.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_1832.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2280.jpg  

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2302.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2301.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2303.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2304.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2305.jpg  

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2308.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2309.jpg  

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com
Old 04-07-2021, 12:00 AM

Yesterday, I added the last of the major structural components to the cog model. Specifically, the parts that are supposed to represent the ends of beams that on the real ship pierce the hull planking and stick out slightly.

Of course, on a card model, these are made up of several layers of small parts. 48 parts make up the 12 beam ends.

Because these are made of moderately thick cardboard, which likes to delaminate, I soaked each assembly with a couple drops of thin CA glue. This wicks into the card stock and hardens to a plastic-like consistency. I was then able to file down and paint the surfaces, which seemed to work pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2331.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2332.jpg  

Old 04-09-2021, 10:46 PM

It's now time to turn to masting and rigging of the model. For Shipyard kits in particular, the model stops being a card model and becomes more like a wooden ship kit. The kit provides dowels for the mast and yardarm and I'm mostly using these materials.

For rigging, this boxed kit includes linen rigging line, which is very good, but it's plain white in color. I've been coloring the line to be used for the standing rigging (stays, shrouds, etc) using some old Floquil brand rigging stain. I've had this stuff in storage for 20 years and it took a little mixing, but it's still good. The color is called Dark Stockholm Tar.

For the running rigging, essentially the sail handling lines, I was hoping I had some Floquil Light Stockholm tar rigging stain, but I couldn't find any. Instead, I just used some wood dye, mixed to give just about the right color to the line.

As for shaping the masts, they have this kind of three-stepped appearance, with two "shoulders" for the stays to rest on. Rather than try to shape the single mast piece provided in the kit, I decided to use separate pieces of appropriate diameters inserted into holes drilled into the ends of the mast pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2324.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2327.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2325.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2328.jpg  

Old 04-09-2021, 11:03 PM

Next, I used Golden Oak stain on the mast. While that was drying, I added the bolt ropes to the sails.

Today, I laced the bonnet (lower sail piece) to the main sail. It took a long time to do, but wasn't difficult.

To help keep the holes in the sail large enough to pass the small rigging line through, I took a sewing needle and glued it into a handle. Sort of a modeler's marlin spike. Later, I also cut open the eye of a needle and mounted that into the other end, so I can lightly grab rigging lines with it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2337.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2335.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2333.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2346.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2347.jpg  

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2349.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2350.jpg  

Old 04-12-2021, 10:17 PM

Kind of a small update here, but an update none the less...

Over the past couple days, I finished making the mast and shaping the yardarm.

With the yardarm done, I laced the sail to it. Like lacing the bonnet to the main sail, it took a little while. But, the results were good and I'm happy with how it went.

I'm now preparing the rigging line for the next step, which is to add the shrouds to the mast. This includes attaching the shrouds, turning each around a deadeye, and then reeving the lanyards through the deadeyes to secure them into place.

Looks like I'm also ready to add the reefing points to the sail. These are short pieces of rope used to tie up part of the sail to the yardarm to reduce the sail area in heavy winds.

The kit instructions simplify this task a bit by attaching separate pieces of riggign line to both sides of the sail. I'm normally used to threading a single piece of line through the sail. Following the method shown in the instructions means that I don't have to poke holes in the sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2358.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2359.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2360.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2021, 12:55 AM

I added most of the reefing points on the sail yesterday and finished them up today. This method of attaching reefing points actually has some advantages. It's not difficult to do and since they're glued on, they "hang" perfectly. Threaded reefing points have a tendency to float unrealistically, and you have to treat them with some kind of glue and maybe some ironing to get the correct results.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2364.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2370.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2361.jpg  

Old 04-17-2021, 10:03 PM

While working on the sail, I was also working on adding the shrouds to the mast. Today, I finally finished seizing the ends around the deadeyes, and started the process of reeving the lanyards through the deadeyes.

One issue I ran into is that the holes in the cardboard deadeyes close up from the soft cardboard material. I tried running a need through them to open them up, and I tried drilling them out. Problem is that they close up again – at least enough to keep the rigging line from threading easily through the holes.

I finally use some thin CA on the deadeyes, which hardened the cardboard. Then, I could drill them out and the holes pretty much stayed clear. However, I did run the needle through them just before threading the line through. This worked like a charm.

The only trick is that it was hard to reach the lower deadeyes and drill them out. I had to hold a block of wood behind them as I drilled out the holes. It was the only way I could get leverage on them.

If you look closely, you might notice that I also added some of the blocks and cleats to the deck and hull. Still more of those to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2373.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2372.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2382.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2383.jpg  

Old 04-18-2021, 06:51 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Real nice work with your Bremen Cog.
The close-up photos show the excellent details.
It all has the appearance of real wood.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 04-18-2021 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 05-01-2021, 09:06 PM

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the nice comments.

I know this model is painted, so it's different, but my first paper kit was Shipyard's 1/96-scale HMS Alert kit, a naval cutter. I took it to a ship model conference, so mostly all wood ship modelers. The main question I was asked, even with that one, was what kind of wood did I use?

I wasn't sure how well my model would look like it was real wood, but I followed Shipyard's instructions, more or less, including color mix. I'm pretty happy with the results too.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:28 PM

Once I got into the rigging phase, I started grousing about the build a bit. I guess I haven't rigged a sailing ship model in while. At least not one as detailed as this Shipyard kit.

It seemed like the more work I did, the more work was left to do. There was a light at the end of tunnel, but ever time I got closer to it, it just didn't look any closer.

But, finally, this week, I finished up all the rigging, and I then I made and added all of the rope coils yesterday.

Very happy with how this model turned out!
Attached Thumbnails
Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2400.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2405.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2408.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2413.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2414.jpg  

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2418.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2422.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2428.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2430.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2433.jpg  

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2434.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2435.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2406.jpg   Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_2411.jpg  

Google Adsense