PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-03-2020, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Foot/cycle ferry 'Masie B.'

Hello all,

Due to now working from home I had time to finish a project that had lain almost complete for a while. She is a small ferry called Masie B. which I imagined would exist transporting passengers and bicycles across a river mouth in Cornwall, UK. The vessel is complete with life raft and liferings, radio mast, lights and a little Cornish flag (yes, I know this should technically be the Red Ensign but this is fictitious...)

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HesAeSdkXmnNSLGB6

The hull was made by layering strips over ribs, than the cabin based around perspex rectangles to form the windows. As I had made the rudder and propellor and wanted to show these, I decided to try and create some kind of water so that the model could be seen from below when placed on a plastic box (the packaging from the action camera for my bike). At first I just cut some transparent plastic to fit around the hull but this wasn't very effective, so I then covered this with some absorbant card from a kitchen wipe centre soaked in a mixture of blue and green paint, glue and cornflour. Hair wax also helped attach it to the hull and create a watery blur. With a bit of sculpting and layering this created some quite effective wave shapes. Then to make it sparkle more like real water I glued on clingfilm with some varnish over the top, adding more at the bow and after the 'dip' of the wake further along. I admit I didn't quite judge the shape quite right but it still looks pretty satisfactory. Hope you enjoy.
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2020, 02:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I got the photo tags to work...