PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-01-2020, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
Starting to look semi-recognizable: main turrets on and able to rotate (no guns yet), secondary turrets installed on center 'island,' funnels up and straight, and starting to add a few deck details like skylights and vents.

Rather than simply 'rolling' the funnels, I like to use cardboard to make a little sturdier structure.

I ran into an odd situation with the kit's main gun turret positions. The two circular turrets are mounted over half-sponsons which project from the hull sides -- with one sponson a little larger, so the respective parts are easy to tell apart. But both the sponsons provided on the sheets turned out to be too large and the wrong diameter to match the turret positions marked on the main deck. Trimming those parts was easy enough to do...but since the sponsons have an angled bottom plate, making the sponsons themselves smaller moved the join-line between that angled plate and the hull side farther up on the hull.

The fix probably isn't precisely plans-accurate, but was close enough for my purposes. I just made another bottom plate and fixed it back at the correct level with a spacer. Then I used spare paper stock to 'skin' the revised sponson contours. Here's the before and after.

Much of the center 'island' structure will end up obscured under some fairly-extensive racks for the ship's boats. Having only a limited patience for constructing such fiddly bits from paper, I opted for the manufacturer's matching photo-etch set for the boat racks, stairs and railings, and assorted fine details...so there should be some PE in the next set of photos I manage to post.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:20 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice to see the latest photos bringing this icon back to life.
You deserve credit for the extra work with the coaling hatches and gun sponsons.
Mike
Old 05-06-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Nice to see the latest photos bringing this icon back to life.
You deserve credit for the extra work with the coaling hatches and gun sponsons.
Mike
Thanks, Mike!
Old 05-11-2020, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
You have a really great build. Enjoying watching the updates.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachead View Post
You have a really great build. Enjoying watching the updates.
Thanks, Greg. Since it's been a while since I've done one of these, I figured it might be modestly amusing, if not instructive!

I've gotten well into the photo-etch, running into a slight snag. It appears many original parts like the catwalks and ladders/stairs -- and hence the PE parts that copy them -- are just a smidge too short. While I'd ordinarily be perfectly willing to chalk up some of this to lapses in my own craftsmanship...since the positions of deck structures are clearly marked on what are mostly single-piece parts, it's hard to figure how even I might have screwed it up. In any case, I'm adjusting on the fly, adding extensions and connectors where needed.

It may not be accurate...and sometimes a bit odd-looking, I suppose...but I'm still having a great time.

Should have some update photos posted today or tomorrow. Thanks for following along.
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2020, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
This kit of the USS MAINE was my second paper-model kit at all, many years ago (near 8 years ago)

I found less or more the same problems you're facing, and, honestly, you're making a very good job, much more better than mine, thinking that I faced your same errors, but I made many other big mistakes...

For example I do not colored the white angles of the pieces, the gun barrels of main guns were a bit too short, I do not used (not yet) self-made railings, and I made the rigging by thin cotton wire.. not metal, not plastic..and not paper like now !!

So... my true compliments for your building and I hope to see it finished soon with some very nice pics to look !!

Happy modeling and stay safe !

ciao
Jp
Old 05-11-2020, 10:11 AM

Grazie, JP, for your reassuring words!
Such encoursgement for a challenging project is always welcome.
Greg
Old 05-11-2020, 02:26 PM

I've never been much of a paper model 'purist.' All genuine respect to those who can make paper gun barrels, ventilators and railings look good...but mine generally don't. I'm perfectly happy to sub a little plastic rod stock or photo-etch to make my creations look a little more presentable.
On this build, particularly, photo-etched items like the fore and aft catwalks over the main batteries appear much more 'to scale' than I could ever reasonably get their paper versions to look.

Assorted details:

Old 05-11-2020, 02:29 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Maine is looking good.
Nice images.
I have always been curious about the function of the "three-in-a-row" steering wheels.
Do you know why they were designed that way?
Mike
Old 05-11-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Maine is looking good.
Nice images.
I have always been curious about the function of the "three-in-a-row" steering wheels.
Do you know why they were designed that way?
Mike
Thanks, Mike.
The only explanation I've ever heard for the 'multiple ship's wheels' idea is to provide extra leverage (or sheer motive power) while steering in heavy weather or stiff currents. I suppose in a day when all the linkages were purely mechanical, being able to put a few more fit young steersmen on the wheel would have been an occasional necessity.
Cheers
Google Adsense

Tags
hmv, uss maine