PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-11-2020, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Manual steering could take many men to control the wheels.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:14 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaloakmin View Post
Manual steering could take many men to control the wheels.

Thanks Fred. That makes sense and goes along with what Greg wrote.
Looks like they could put at least 3 or as many as perhaps 6 on the wheels if needed. Tough work in stormy seas.

Mike
Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbal View Post
I've never been much of a paper model 'purist.' All genuine respect to those who can make paper gun barrels, ventilators and railings look good...but mine generally don't. I'm perfectly happy to sub a little plastic rod stock or photo-etch to make my creations look a little more presentable.
I agree, it's your model use what you want.

Last edited by rickstef; 05-13-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
This morning I installed the last of the rigging...mounted the flagstaffs at the bow and stern...gave 'er a quick all-over shot of Vallejo Matt...and finally hoisted the colors at the mizzen. Resisting the ever-present urge to 'fiddle' endlessly, I'm calling her done and ready for sea. (As soon as the crew can manage to get the port-side accommodation ladder raised and secured....)

Not the slickest build I've ever done, but she was great fun nearly across the boards. (Only the seemingly-endless parade of ship's whaleboats, gigs, launches and steam pinnaces -- with their tiny and largely-uncooperative parts to be folded every-which-way -- was the cause of some minor 'nearing the finish-line' frustration.)
The etch set was most convenient, perfect for things like railings, shrouds and catwalks...but less-so for items like anchors and davits that needed some real thickness; for those I used the 'paper' parts, or a combination of the two. Smaller-caliber guns were made up from wire and styrene rod, using the more-delicate etched mounts.
To give a little more rigidity, masts and yards were made with styrene rod -- reinforced with wire, where necessary, to stand up to the pull of the rigging. The rigging itself was mostly easy-to-tension -- and forgiving if accidentally 'knocked' -- elastic EZ-Line...with a little stretched sprue here and there where called for.
Enjoy the shots.

A fun and very satisfying return to the 'paper' side of the hobby. And...as always...new ideas for potential projects are stacking up like cordwood.

As a for-instance...
In addition to the small squadron of the Maine's various ship's boats, the kit provides two 63' steam torpedo launches, to be mounted on the flying bridge between the central and aft superstructures. Though I built and mounted one...it turns out this is something of a WHIF. This torpedo boat design was conceived to give both the Maine and her distaff 'sister' ship, the pre-dreadnought battleship Texas, an extra tactical 'punch' in action, each ship mounting a pair of the smaller craft, each of those fitted with a single bow-tube to fire the new 18" Whitehead torpedo. A single prototype was in fact built...and found to have a disappointing top speed of only 12 knots instead of the 18 knots expected. As a result the whole project was cancelled...and neither the Maine or the Texas ever mounted their 'stinging mosquitos.' The unloved prototype apparently lived out its days serving in a training and utility role at the Navy's Newport Torpedo Station.

However, researching that 'would-be' torpedo boat -- of which, incidentally, the HMV versions are pretty mediocre renditions -- has given me the fire for what may yet be my next scratch-build project [though in paper, or more conventional materials, is yet to be determined]. At either 1/96 or 1/72 scale, it would be an entirely manageable size and project...and chock-full of the neat 'old timey' details of the steam-powered pre-dreadought era. I was able to find some excellent drawings...and a few photos of other builders' models...so we shall see how things develop.

Last edited by gregbal; 06-09-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Amazing work! Quick question about the final coat of matte - I would think that it would leave droplets on the rigging. Was the spray very fine?
Google Adsense
Old 06-09-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
Amazing work! Quick question about the final coat of matte - I would think that it would leave droplets on the rigging. Was the spray very fine?
Thanks!
As for the matt coat, droplets have never been a problem. I thin it about 50/50 with Tamiya thinner or alcohol, spray with my beloved Badger Anthem and no special compressor setting.
More problematical is dust. I went over it -- quite well, I thought -- with a largish soft brush before spraying...but once the spray hit, a few annoying little 'flyers' could be seen. Most could be picked off with tweezers...but I see from the photos that I managed to miss a few.
Cheers
Old 06-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I think it is superb. I very much enjoyed all the large, clear images you provided.

Don
Old 06-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 167.82 MB
Excellent build. Thank you for sharing.

-chris
Old 06-09-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I think it is superb. I very much enjoyed all the large, clear images you provided.

Don
Thanks, Don!
It always 'hurts' to see every flaw and error magnified...but I figure people who know what they're about wouldn't be fooled by grainy or out-of-focus shots, anyway.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c wiseman View Post
Excellent build. Thank you for sharing.

-chris
Thank you, Chris!
Google Adsense

Tags
hmv, uss maine