PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-12-2020, 10:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Pic 56: Ok – trouble. Here it is with no adjustment.
Pic 57: Here with the top of the stbd just nudged onto the port.
Pic 58: … And the tabs at the bottom more-or-less held in place.
Pic 59: Dry fit the fo’cs’l deck. – Theres part 21 sticking out!!! Ugh!!
It should’ve been attached at the bottom part, not at the cardeck. But it really doesn’t look like that!
Pic 60: Tried my luck peeling it off – nope!

Ok - not sure what went wrong. Seems by the shape of the 'm' that I now have, that pushing the bow to be more 'flat nosed' than it currently is would take some out of it.
But the fo'sc'le deck itself is just a standard sheet, no reinforcing at all, so it can't really lend itself to helping the shape of the side parts. I think I did the right thing shaping both the outside parts and the inside parts individually, before gluing them together.
Maybe I should have worked and worked and worked at that rolling to get them perfectly aligned and flush against the sides individually before gluing? But I still doubt if that would have given the desired result....
I can still try to bend the sides as they are, more flat nosed at the join.
Once dried, I could also take a bit more of the 'm' out by drawing the black line accross the middle of the 'm' and possibly trim (but how exactly?) the tops of the white parts. Just use a new blade - and be careful!

I seem to recall this dilemma with both OLDENBURG and MARY ARCTICA, though not so stark.

Musn't be the first to have this result - Any tips?
Comments and suggestions gratefully appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2624.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2625.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2626.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2627.jpg   JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-img_2628.jpg  

Old 04-12-2020, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 854.80 MB
Send a message via AIM to cwiokster
Check out this thread on the German Forum, Kartonbau. The modeller in question has designed many kits himself, and always upgrades other kit He builds. Should answer your question about what the bow area should look like. You are on the right track!
https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/thema...sc-bearbeitet/

good luck
Jeff C.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:12 PM

Thanks Jeff!
All advice and suggestions gratefully accepted!
Alan
Old 04-13-2020, 12:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Dear Positive-Rate:

The model is rather complicated due to the vehicle tunnel and unusual JSC construction technique.
There are a few things I always do:
a) never use the original but a copy of the model, in case of a problem.
b) a very, very sharp knife help you correct misalignments
c) cyanoacrylate may help in very small amounts when you may not use tabs or other glues
d) sometimes you may sand and paint and sand again with very fine sand paper, but try elsewhere (not in the model) first and treat the model as a vacuformed (or thin plastic)

I just recently build a vintage model that required a final surgery in the front fuselage that looked like a banana and had to pull the nose into place.
It seems that you are on the right track.
Finally, this is a hobby, no one is going to die due to a slight misalignment, but the perceptive modeler, and only figuratively.
Looking forward to see your final model with the vehicle deck full of vehicles.

A little bit late, Happy Resurrection Sunday
Old 04-13-2020, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks great. I really like the addition of info to go with the pictures.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:26 PM

Hi Jeff,

Went to Kartonbau and had a look - wow, was very impressed with what some people can do!

...And I got the great idea about installing the bow visor where it actually is - so thanks to you and Henning - problem solved.

Pleased to say, after a couple of days break, and tackling other little bits here and there on the model I have actually prevailed and done a pretty good job of rescuing the bow - will post some pics tomorrow I hope.

Thanks for your idea!

Alan
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM

Hi Greg,

I am wondering what you think:
Would I be better to refer to the actual photo number (eg '2543') cause that's what its saved as - or continue like I have been?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Alan
Old 07-04-2021, 11:15 AM

Hi Alan, I recently started the Bute from JSC and I am enjoying the build so far. Although I have done paper models before, this will be my first paper ship. It does have some challenges and the type of glue used certainly affects the build. Looking at the build at Kartonbau.de it seems he has gone the extra mile and added a lot of detail to the ship. Any idea where the steps/railings, bollards , winches are from? He also cut out windows and finessed the smoke stacks to look more realistic, it's really well done. Have you done any more on yours ? I think using the actual photo number would be easier to follow. Look forward to your progress!!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
great build, i have only ever used UHU glue since day 1 of building my paper models
Old 07-06-2021, 08:08 AM

JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-15cb7ab6-f878-46a7-90b4-327fb4409644.jpgHi Herky, you must be happy with the Uhu glue you use!
Which one do you use?JSC Models - 'BUTE' Scottish Passenger Ferry-15cb7ab6-f878-46a7-90b4-327fb4409644.jpg
Power, or all purpose?
Google Adsense