PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 854.80 MB
Send a message via AIM to cwiokster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachead View Post

Question. The aft funnel is covered which I remember so. However - was the forward one also covered? I tried finding pics but couldn't tell.
Both Funnels were the same; the German ships were unique in having "macks" to support an updated sensor fit compared to the Adams class.
Lutjens Type 103 class Guided Missile Destroyer DDG German Navy

looking good so far.
Jeff C
Old 04-21-2020, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Hi Greg,

I am intrigued - with the mid-island pic, showing main deck port side, there seems to be a very long 'pipe' running all the way along near the top of the accomodation bulkhead.
Was wondering what it is and how did you make it?!

Alan

Bought 2 of these models from Diderick today!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiokster View Post
Both Funnels were the same; the German ships were unique in having "macks" to support an updated sensor fit compared to the Adams class.
Lutjens Type 103 class Guided Missile Destroyer DDG German Navy

looking good so far.
Jeff C
Thanks, Jeff. My intuition said same however...…
Old 04-21-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Hi Greg,

I am intrigued - with the mid-island pic, showing main deck port side, there seems to be a very long 'pipe' running all the way along near the top of the accomodation bulkhead.
Was wondering what it is and how did you make it?!
Hey Alan. If its what I think you're seeing, Navy ships actually had rain gutters which were pipes, feed by scuppers on the deck edges above, that carried the water overboard. I bent, folded, etc a piece of wire to give a 3D view. I need to add a few more.

Last edited by rickstef; 04-21-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 AM

Making good progress with being stuck inside for weeks.

The main mast is tricky. The three support pillars and the first 3 platforms have to be positioned before gluing. A third hand would have been great but I eventually got it right, give or take. The pillars go through the second platform, and the third one up has cut out for the pillars. All of this has to be manipulated, first the one the other.

The top to the mast is also pictured. It is in a triangle configuration. However the two supports that have to be "bent" were to narrow for me so I just split them with a hobby knife, leafing some white paper still attached to keep the parts together. Then I just bent them over and glued. Kinda happy with myself, it worked pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-33-mid-island-3.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-35-mid-island-5.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-36-mid-island-6.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-40-mid-structure-2.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-45-boat-davits.jpg  

Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-43-support-2.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-49-main-mast-2.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-50-main-mast-3.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-51-main-mast-4.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-52-main-mast-5.jpg  

Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-53-main-mast-6.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-55-main-mast-8.jpg  
Old 04-28-2020, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 854.80 MB
Send a message via AIM to cwiokster
The Mast turned out well. You stumbled onto a good method for dealing with impossible narrow folds, which also can be used for very small box shapes as well. An alternate method I've used before, is to pre-score and fold the legs before cutting anything out, then when cut free, the leg will fold surprisingly well. Sometimes though an edge to edge joint will look neater than a folded edge.

Another point; anyone thinking of converting this kit to an Adams class DDG will have to modify the topmast as only the German Navy ships had the sensor requiring the ground reference plane at the top. So good photos needed as some scratchbuilding will be required.

At any rate, looking good!

regards, Jeff C.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
If anyone is interested: I have two more copies of long-out-of-printJust contact me.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 100.19 MB
Brilliant technique for an awesome mast, very cool.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:38 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
That engineering in image 55 is quite a piece of work.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 AM

I'm really liking this kit. Making good progress. Have both deck guns installed and other small details. The container life boats are installed. Those are the white cylinders below the main mast. Almost forgot - have the surface search and missile control radars done as well.

Right now I'm working on the Standard missile housing and launcher. I always called these single arm launchers the "one armed bandit" during my time in the Navy. Not sure why I did, just a quirk of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-55-main-mast-8.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-56-bow.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-59-bow-3.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-60-missle-structure.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-61-missile-structure-2.jpg  

Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-62-life-boats.jpg   Type 103 Lutjens class (Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen)-63-radar-suite.jpg