PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-11-2021, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi,

Thanks for the source of the gun rigging. I am currently thinking about how to rig my Spanish pirate galleon guns, and noticed that there are the British/American rigging, where the breech line (the very thick one) goes around the carriage and is attached to the gun versus the continental rigging for Dutch, French and other ships, where the breech line goes through a hole in the gun carriage, like in the drawings you refer to.

I think for my model I'll go with the continental.

-R
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 02-13-2022, 03:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 385.3 KB
Send a message via Skype™ to et2B
Any progress on this major undertaking?
Old 02-14-2022, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@et2B@
The construction of the model is ongoing, I am waiting for the co-operators to finish the work. There will be something new soon.

Tomek
Old 05-22-2022, 05:57 AM

Hi friends
I must admit that I am not building the model at a dizzying pace, mainly because of the limited time and more and more details that need to be prepared and thought over. It took me a long time to make various attempts (mostly unsuccessful) to prepare the sculptures on the stern in the form of paper, which would slightly resemble THE SCULPTURES. The external company fulfilled the orders and I have all the sculptures ready for 3D printing, but those made of paper also had to be developed (because it is to be a cardboard model). This is what the first sample printed in resin looks like:

Therefore, I couldn't resist and replace the figurehead. Below is the old one of cardboard and the new one printed:

In the meantime, I put the rest of the artillery on the decks. There was a lot of it, so I helped myself with ready-made gun barrels and 2mm 3D printed blocks.

The print was gray, but the Vallejo primer sticks very tightly and nothing is peeling.
Now it's time to glue gunport lids, sculptures and lanterns, and all rigging "devices". Oh, and two more boats. I believe that in June I will start erecting masts :-)
A few photos of an already armed ship:

Best
Tomek
Old 05-22-2022, 06:41 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Tomek,
It is very interesting to see the close-up photos of the figurehead, one made with card and one produced by a 3D printer. Looks like you put a lot of effort into the “card” version because it does not look bad. But I agree with you, the 3D version is hard to beat.
Sometimes card is better, and sometimes it is not.
I enjoy watching this project. It is a masterpiece.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2022, 06:24 PM

Wonderful, Wonderful and Wonderful.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.43 MB
Hi Tomek.
I agree, it's a great piece of work you are doing on this model.

As for the technique, I think the part dictates the way it can be done.
Despite it's a paper model forum, every material is good as long as it gives a good result.
It only depends on the modeller.
However, it's exciting to thing of a model entirely made from cardboard, hand rails, ladders.. everything, perhaps except the ropes ... which is also possible by the way.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:05 PM

Hi everyone,
thanks for comments. I'm glad you like the model (as a builder, I know all the stumbles and mistakes, but I like the general view as well).
Some time has passed since the last update, but it was not time wasted because I can announce that I have finished working on the hull of "De Zeven Provincien" !!! Hurrah!!!!
I made gunport lids (I have a slightly "bent" eye, because a large part of them is slightly twisted in the same direction; similarly with the holes for the ropes lifting these covers, they are all slightly shifted to the left :-))) There was a lot of work on the starboard too, because I did not print the hinges for gunport lids, believing that sticking thin strips would be nicer. I don't know if it's nicer (probably not), but it's definitely more time-consuming.
But after dealing with nearly 80 gunport lids, it looked better and better. At the same time, I had to make deadeye attachments because it was getting tight in some places. In fact, I didn't simplify them, I just changed the shape of two lower parts (1 and 2), which I covered with small circles (3). Details in the drawing.

Equipping the bulwarks and decks with various types of riggin equipment is a normal job and nothing interesting to write about.

I helped myself with a 3d printer again and it was a move almost brilliant :-))) I printed 180 belaying pins: delicate, small, nicely contoured shapes. The end result and the time needed for them is incomparable to those made of wire and thickened on top with a drop of thick glue. I am delighted with this solution, especially since I printed in brown resin right away (pigments are not cheap, but the time savings justify the expense)

It remains to finish the work on the decorations: the designs of the sculptures were prepared by an external company (I do not have such skills myself) and after minor corrections they were printed and painted. Even though the design on the computer matched everything together, there were in fact slight variations in dimensions, as the number of parts must have resulted in a multiplication of minor errors. For example, the central figure of the goddess, supported on her back on the upper decorative handrail, did not reach the pedestal with her legs (the handrail is too high). So I had to thicken the pedestal. Similarly, I had to thicken the pedestal for the side figures of Neptune / Poseidon.
In the meantime, I glued the sloop for the second time, because the previous one was over 1 meter too long, and now I have the second time to glue the boat, which I made 2 meters too long (I still do not know how I rescaled and why I did not check the dimensions after rescaling. And I spent a few hours gluing the boat together before realizing that something was wrong: - (((()
All that's left to do is put a few dozen eyebolts in the decks and set the sloop amidships.

A few pictures...

Greetings
Tom
Old 06-25-2022, 02:38 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Tomek,

That final view of the stern is terrific. The decorations are very finely done.
The extensive details make this a masterpiece.

Mike
Old 06-26-2022, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
I agree with Michael, looks awesome, congratulations so far !!
Google Adsense