PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-22-2020, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
"De Zeven Provincien" the second attempt (1:100, scratch)

Hello,

there was a building log called >>> "De Zeven Provincien" 1665 [1: 100] <<<, which died quite a long time ago. I am asking the admin for a dignified "burial" not to clutter the forum (by the way I will free up the hosting place for photos).

And here I start the second (and last) approach to the design of the model "De Zeven Provincien" and I will not describe why the first version ends up in the trash.
Short and meaningful information about "De Zeven Provincien" once written by Ab Hoving, which I will use again as a quote:
"... De 7 Provinciën was built in 1665 in Rotterdam as the new flagship for the famous Dutch admiral Michiel de Ruyter (1607-1767), who sailed it from 1666-1674. Its measurements were 163 x 43 x 16.5 Amsterdam feet ( 46.13 x 12.17 x 4.67 m), it carried 80 guns, its displacement was 1600 tons and there was a crew of 420 men aboard.

The name was chosen because of the seven counties that fought the 80-years war of liberation against the Spanish from 1568 to 1648. The united country had also freed itself from the Catholic Church and nobility and the name is a tribute to an organization, which proved its right of existence without a ruling king between 1649 and 1672. In that year stadtholder Willem III, Prince of Orange, the later king of England William III (1650-1702), returned to Holland.
The ship fought in the second (1665-1667) and third (1672-1674) Anglo-Dutch Wars and took part in the Four-Days Battle (1666), The Two-Days Battle (1666), the Chatham Raid (1667) , the Battle of Solebay (1672), the Battle of Schooneveld (1673) and the Battle of the Texel (1673). In 1674 the ship even visited the West-Indies. In 1692 she fought in the Battle of Barfleur and was broken up in 1694.

The lines of the model were reconstructed by Ab Hoving, Herbert Tomesen and drawn by Cor Emke in 2006. They were based on both contemporary Dutch shipbuilding literature and specification contracts of comparable ships of those days. Also earlier publications by G.C Dik and O. Blom were used in the new design. It was intended to rebuild the ship that was put on the stocks of the Bataviawerf in Lelystad, Holland, in 1996 which project appeared to fail in the beginning of this century. Though great progress was made in the first three years the revived project was stopped because of a lack of money ... "

So let's sail now!

The frame made of millimeter cardboard up to the height of the deck with the graceful name verdek. The next higher decks (halfdek and bakdek) will be added later and supported on beams and posts.
Below is the overloop deck with the heaviest artillery and the lowest one, which is invisible. So I painted these interios that will be visible through the open gun ports and pasted there simplified gun carriages. The guns will be seen only on the left side, the the right one will be "closed".

First vertical plating:

I wanted to reproduce the thickness of the boards (on a scale of about 1.0 mm), which edges will be visible, e.g. in open gunports, and that is why I put two layers of longitudinal plating. The first made of cardboard of 0.5 mm thickness, into which I fitted the gun port frames ...

... and then a second layer of cardboard 0.7 mm ....

Only now I glued the final colored planks on such a "double -underplanking". It is not perfect, there are places where my skills have simply let me down and in the unfavorable light you can see small faults between the neighboring boards. The effect would be much better if I treated the hull with a putty, but ...

In order not to destroy the model by continuous rotation / sliding / squeezing in subsequent stages, if possible, I will "wander" gradually upwards, which is why I started with the rudder and transom.

That's all for now.
Best
Tomek
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2020, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Looks very nice, sailing ships is not something I usually do but this one is make me wonder why not!
The planking looks super cool!
Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Wow! That's an amazing start of this build. I must admit, like wireandpaper, this is not my turf but the Zeven Provincien is a very famous ship in Dutch history (plus all its successors....) and I have seen the unfinished replica at the Batavia shipyard. Such a pity that due to lack of money this project was stopped. Instead, a 1:10 replica has been build which is an absolutely stunning piece of modeling, and still of a very respective size.

Good luck, Nisko!

Erik
Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
Very beautiful work sir. Thank you for sharing
Old 04-22-2020, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Hi Tomek,

Great start! My avatar is actually De Zeven Provincien and also have the book by Dik. Managed to get a set of the plans from the original publisher in the Netherlands.

Will be following.

By the way, will this become another one of your models for sale? If so, I'm a buyer.

Fred
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2020, 12:46 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This site is blessed with great sail ship builders.
Looking forward to more of your work Tomek.
Mike
Old 04-23-2020, 12:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you all for comments.
I will try not to disappoint you:-)
@Fred@ I plan to publish the model, of course. But I can't declare the date.

Tomek
Old 04-23-2020, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I see, much to my delight that you toned down the blue on the counter. For the upper works a little bit more yellow will give an even better effect
This asks for a follow up soon...
Ab
Old 04-23-2020, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Great work, It looks fantastic...!!!
Old 04-23-2020, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
The hull is beautiful to this point. I think the only flaws noticeable are to you. The builder always knows, the rest of us see excellent craftsmanship.
Google Adsense