PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-30-2020, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.87 MB
After finishing the bell, windpipes and a winch, I added railings on the pilot house and the radio booth. On top of the radio booth belongs part 35, which is part of the antenna, but the lasercut of it lost any shape before I place it there. Sometimes, there simply is no replacement for fotoetched parts...
Attached Thumbnails
LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-15.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-18.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-19.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-20.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-21.jpg  

Old 04-30-2020, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks very good, even with the merciless close-up images.

Don
Old 05-01-2020, 01:05 AM

Hi Don!
Thank You for Your kind words! I confess, that I myself am quite satiesfied with it, although there are quite a few spots with the hull, that should have been cleaner. I even started another one in that contest, but goofed that up completely, so this first one here had to do....
Meanwhile my pictures are real-time, what You see here is, what she looks like this morning. With the exhaust system nearly finished (they are to be rigged es well), there is only little more to do with the hull and I´ll soon have to start with the masts.
Attached Thumbnails
LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-22.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-23.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-24.jpg  
Old 05-01-2020, 08:07 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Digital Navy’s Lightship Ambrose is one of my favorites. Before I was a paper modeler, I came across Roman’s website (Digital Navy) while searching for a “plastic” early American battleship to build and put above my desk. The Ambrose was one of the free downloads. It has been so popular, and a modeler can do so much with it. Nice to see your fine work.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Heiner:
Thanks for the tip of using lego blocks to square up the former. Now I have to see if any of the nephews kept any of theirs and will share some
Enjoy,
Miles
Old 05-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Hi everybody!
@ Michael: thank You for Your appreciation! And yes, You are right: there is a lot one can do with her. I´ve developed some ideas, that I put into work here, just watch...
@ Miles: I know a shop, where You can get these blocks, even without Nephews...
Meanwhile, most of the hull is finished. I plan to replace the one lifeboat availabele (of course, I could print another one...) with 2 of another download. At that, we still lack the foghorn and at the back the steering quadrant, but these will come later. Right now, the rigging started.
Attached Thumbnails
LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-25.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-26.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-27.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-28.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-29.jpg  

Old 05-04-2020, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 100.19 MB
Beautiful work
Old 05-07-2020, 03:04 AM

Hi everybody!
@ Decanturbeginner: may I say the same thing about Your BREMEN? I would love to see more of Your work!
Meanwhile... well, threads have never been my favorite toy, and I´m afraid, that this will never change, so I´m "bitching" myself through rigging this model, but after some "interesting" evenings I now found a way to work with my tweezers without ripping all of the ship apart (fortunatly, I built her strong)

Still, beginning with the lantern´s platform does not belong to the great ideas, that I might have had in my life, so I strongly recommend to first finish the threading instead. The aft mast (hopefully) will then be a piece of cake...
Attached Thumbnails
LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-30.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-31.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-32.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-33.jpg  
Old 05-07-2020, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 100.19 MB
Hello Heiner,

Thank you for the compliment on BREMEN. And I agree, rigging is a bitchy challenge, but I have to say, it looks like you're doing a very good job of it, and definitely better than I could manage. What type of thread are you using, it almost looks like wire in places?

I'm sorry you didn't get to enter your lightship in the competition, it looks like it was a great deal of fun for those on kartonbau.de. . . hope you are posting her there too
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 AM

Hello, everybody!
Some more steps are taken to the finish - in a very litteral sense, these few steps (each of them has been applied to its place at least three times - no b...t!) on starboard took the better part of last week from me, but fortunately, I am done - with the first mast. One more to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decaturbeginner View Post
... , it looks like it was a great deal of fun for those on kartonbau.de. . . hope you are posting her there too
It was! Not only, that we came (virtually) together, we had at last three brandnew, never published constructions to awe at And of course, this build is presented there as well - now, it´s content, not contest... but the photos are the same!
I hope to get the second mast this far by next weekend...
By the way; the thread in places IS wire (no sense in pretending otherise), especially around the exhausts and the steps. The steps are made of 0,4 mm wire, the exhausts mostly of stretched 0,3 mm, and the rigg of the y-shaped tubes is from wonderwire. Where thread was used, I took MADEIRA Polyneon No. 75 in black, a very fine and robust polyesterthread that my wife uses for her emrodery-machines - actually, she couldn´t stand any longer me, stealing meters and meters from her, so for tidying up her workshop I got a cone of my own - 2500 m!
Attached Thumbnails
LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-34.jpg   LV-87 AMBROSE, Digital Navy, 1:250-35.jpg  

Last edited by Heiner; 05-10-2020 at 07:28 AM. Reason: missspellings - oh, again...
Google Adsense