PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-27-2022, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
My last fluit

It has been a busy year. I built four 17th century ships for the 'Kaap Skil' Museum at the isle of Texel and I think it has been enough now. The museum needed the four models to connect them with the four compass points: For the East an Eastindiaman (the one I showed last month):
My last fluit-generale_vrede_3_hr.jpg

For the North a small fluit (which I based on the wreck find of the 'Ghost ship' in the Baltics:
My last fluit-fluit_hoorn_3-kopie.jpg

For the South a pinas, an armed trader, in this case a 'Straetsvaerder' which sailed to the Mediterranean (hence the name which means that the ship was bound to pass the Gibraltar Strait):
My last fluit-img_6598.jpg

And for the West a big fluit to transport lots of cargo. This one was finished last week and was built as a side project during the rigging process of the Eastindiaman:
My last fluit-img_9901-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_9917-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_9933-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_9948-kopie.jpg

My last fluit-img_0040-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_0045-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_0053-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_0051-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_0063-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_0047-kopie.jpg My last fluit-img_0067-kopie.jpg

The name of this ship is apparently 'Abrahams Offering', a name I took from an original fluit stern, hanging as a wreck find in a small Danish museum or a church (maybe one of the readers knows. Here a picture of the original taffrail:

My last fluit-schermafbeelding-2021-12-29-om-10.16.11.png

As for the setting of the sails I was looking for some action, like on this Van de Velde painting of the Liefde, shortly before the beginning of the Four Days Battle in 1666, in which it was burned.

My last fluit-image-large-.jpg

As I said, this completes what I had planned to make of 17th century Dutch ships. But four models in one year is too much, even for working in paper. Combined with troubles with my eyes and hands I will close the shop now and leave you all, maybe in the future I will return with new work, but I would not hold my breath.
I enjoyed your praise and enthusiasm for my humble work and greet you all.
Attached Thumbnails
My last fluit-img_0058-kopie.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2022, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are all magnificent models, abhovi!

It is always a great pleasure and an educational experience to see your models and to read your narratives.

I am very glad that you have shared them with us. Many thanks. I hope that circumstances will permit you to complete other models in the future, but I know I speak for many of us when i say that we are grateful for all the maritime history, models, building techniques, and other lore you have so generously presented over the years.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 02-27-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:33 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Closing your shop? Say it aint so Ab !!

You are leaving us with a wealth of images and so much good reading material.
But I note that you say: “maybe in the future I will return with new work, but I would not hold my breath.”

I won't hold my breath, but I’ll be watching.
Always Best Regards,
Mike
Old 02-27-2022, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Wishing you all the best, sir. I hope you will still keep up with the hobby, maybe in smaller bites on projects that are not as ambitious. I speak from experience that working in small chunks of time on projects is not easy, but it is therapeutic.

I hope you will keep visiting and offering insights, and maybe one day, we will be privileged to see more of your art.

Take care
Old 02-27-2022, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Just a Big Thank You for all the time you have spent on here showing us your models and educating us on Dutch Shipbuilding. The images and information on building techniques have been greatly appreciated.

Take care Ab, and hope to still hear from you in the future when possible on the Forum.

Fred
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2022, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi Ab!

It is kind of sad to hear, but also I am happy you'll have more time for your family.

Thank you so much for all I've learned from you on the forum and in person!

I planned to start this year building the dutch doubledecker from the book you gave me, so I hope you'll still be around to see it, even if you won't be building yourself anymore, but...never say never..
Model ship building is a very addictive hobby!

I am sure there is still a lot we can learn from you by you continuing to give us your constructive critisism. ^^

Thanks again!
-Radek
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 02-27-2022, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have enjoyed seeing photos of your models on this website. They are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing views of your work.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Magnificent creations ! Workmanship at the highest level. Thanks so much for sharing. You have been a real inspiration !
Old 02-27-2022, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Best wishes, thank you for sharing your models and knowledge.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thank you abhovi for all the expertice and knowledge you've shared with us. I've enjoyed every moment. And what a Grande Finale from you maestro! I wish you well and sincerely hope you take a peak what's happening here when you feel like. All the best for you.

Tappi
Google Adsense