PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-26-2020, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 132.67 MB
Looks fantastic!
Old 07-04-2020, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Started my F4F's. Two prototypes. One full wing, one folded. I'm pleased with both, the unfolded wing model is obviously much easier. I plane to build 16, 5 for the upper deck, 10 below and not sure where I may place the unfolded version. I may set it with the Dauntless and Devastator on the model base. The after two will be fully loaded. All depends on the B-25's. I'm leaving enough of the smaller aircraft to load out the flight deck should I screw up the Mitchells.

Some fun, comparative images from the Hiryu. The Kates really outclassed the Devastators while the Dauntless outclassed the Vales. Also, obvious how small the Zeros were when compared to the Wildcats. Amazing considering the Zero and Wildcat entered service at about the same time. Ultimately the Japanese could not keep up in quality or quantity but they did have talent, the Zero was a masterpiece at the beginning of the war. The wildcat was quickly supplanted with more advanced and more capable aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl01.png   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl02.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl03.png   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl04.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl05.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl06.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl07.png   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl08.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl10.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl11.jpg  

Old 07-04-2020, 04:58 PM

Additional images
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl12.png   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl14.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl15.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl13.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl13a.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl16.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl17.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl18.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-pl19.jpg  
Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Outstanding builds.
The "angels" are in the details!
Old 07-11-2020, 07:57 PM

I've built enough planes to fill the upper hanger, the visible parts. The F4F's and Dauntless aircraft are really well designed. I installed the planes into the hanger, not sure of actual wartime layout but suspect there really wasn't one so I placed the Dauntlesses and the F4F's mostly forward and the Devastators aft. The deck is dry fitted in place. The color match from plate to plate is not perfect but I kind of like the shade variations. I laminated the main deck plates onto card after photocopying them from gloss model paper to cardstock. the under side was printed on thin paper so I photocopied those onto card as well. ultimately 3 layers of 120lb card. I used DAP CA medium to laminate, works great to prevent warping but makes cutting difficult. I have stated this before but this model is so well designed (printing aside) that the construction is almost easy.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1976.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1977.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1979.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1980.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1981.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1982.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1983.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1984.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1985.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1986.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1987.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1988.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 PM

Additional images
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1990.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1991.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1992.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1993.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1994.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1995.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1997.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1998.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1999.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 PM

Deck improvements. As seen in the previous photos the colors mismatch on the decks. I tried to improve them somewhat, 1st photo. I cut away all the deck edge plating giving the deck a 3D appearance. I'll build up the arrester wire frames and add them later.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s1.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s2.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s3.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s4.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s5.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s6.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s7.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s8.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-s9.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 04:54 PM

Deck edge structures completed. A few very minor issues and one major one. The port side requires two structures, the forward one has a couple pot holes, no issue. The aft one was not in the book or the instructions and except for the big white spot you may not miss it. I fabricated the part we excess stock and moved on. Basically a long skinny box.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k1.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k2.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k3.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k4.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k5.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k6.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k7.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k8.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k9.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k10.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k11.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k12.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k13.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k14.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k15.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k16.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k17.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k18.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k19.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 06:00 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Good grief . . . you have a lot of great photos Paper Fan.
And they all show wonderful work. I had to go back a second time and look at all those aircraft, particularly those with the wings folded up. You put a lot of effort into those. They look terrific sitting inside the hanger, with the deck girders overhead. Serious work going on here.
Mike
Old 07-19-2020, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Is this going to be a museum piece?
It looks that way.
Google Adsense