PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is an absolutely superb model!

Don
Old 07-22-2020, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
The island superstructure is starting to take shape. I will add the funnel grills, ladders and rails at the end to keep the part a little less fragile while I work it.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k21.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k22.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k23.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k24.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k25.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k26.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k27.jpg  
Old 07-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
So to see is this model very well designed, your quality of work is the same as the designer himself, looking forward to the finished model and other models designed by SZKUTNIK !!
Old 07-26-2020, 07:32 PM

Some additional island work. There are a couple errors with this model.

The real ship had more port holes on the bridge, closer together. In addition on the real ship the flying mast 2nd upper structure was shorter on the backside than the upper top. OK, I'm fine with these errors. I added the 3 port holes on the lower structure under the island. All of these errors are visible on internet images.

The main supports under the bow flight deck are not ovals, they are actually just circular. I can simply correct these.

Overall, couldn't be happier. I bought this model over the GPM kit because the edge printing is so much better. GPM for some reason uses black lines on the edges and in the sidewall printing, very unrealistic.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k30.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k31.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k32.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k34.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k35.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k36.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k37.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k38.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k39.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k40.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-k41.jpg  

Last edited by PAPER FAN; 07-26-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The island looks superb.

Excellent work on the funnel caps? covers? gratings?

It is a truly impressive model of this famous warship.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2020, 07:06 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
You have wonderful building and photo techniques.
Some of the images make the viewer feel like they are standing dockside, surveying the immensity of the ship from bow to stern.
Great work.

Last edited by Michael Mash; 07-27-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The island was the first big element that I designed with the model. Therefore, these minor errors may arise.
Overall, more than the build quality, I'm more happy that you are having a good time with it. I always said that I can't call myself a designer until someone builds my model, I think I can slowly As for the edge lines of the elements, I use 80% black so that they are not that visible.
Additionally, the print quality and color saturation is great. Szkutnik paid a lot for printing, but it was worth it. Thanks to you, despite the holidays, I am motivated to work on New Mexico
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-instrukcja-newm.jpg  
Old 07-28-2020, 10:40 AM

I appreciate the intricacies of designing such a piece of work and am way more pleased than not. Interesting all 3 ships had different flying bridge tops. Enterprise was partially enclosed (most attractive). This model top actually reflects the Yorktown more which the second level from the top was long and thin, extending beyond the upper in both directions fore and aft. Hornets was truncated more.

Just looked at more photos of Yorktown, it appears she actually had the upper mast enclosed similar to Enterprise sometime before Midway. Really odd, since for the most part the U.S. Navy was doing away with enclosed bridges on both the cruisers and BB's at the time.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I found such an interesting comparison of all the islands. I admit that after years of experience, I would work it out better today, but there are so many interesting topics to move forward
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-porownanie-nadbudowek.jpg  
Old 09-04-2020, 04:31 PM

Been awhile, summer, lots of golf and more.

Most of the boats are done and half of the 18 - 3 part rafts. Tedious but rewarding. Also since last post added the deck edge arresters. Will wait to end to add the wires, just befoe the Mitchells and rail.

Added the 3 port holes to the after lower structure under the island and just after the rafts. These are clearly visible in photos of the time period.

Intersting footnote of Hornet. Never intended to be a ship. The US built Yorktown and Entrerprise as two of three ships for tonnage allowance. Wasp followed but significantly lighter with zero protection. The world exited the naval treaty. The US was not ready with a follow up design, so to save time chose to build the 3rd Yorktown. Wasp did introduce the deck edge elevator concept, now the only means, but Hornet was not adapted.
Google Adsense