PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-17-2020, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
SSN-23 USS Jimmy Carter

The moral of this modeling story is that when someone is kind enough to do a repaint for you, print it out right away to make sure the colors are right. You’ll both appreciate it.

Back in 2016, I was emailing back and forth with the late John Bowden and the subject of submarines arose and I said in passing that a model of the USS Jimmy Carter would be cool. A few days later I opened my email in-box to find John had repainted/revised Trent Henry’s Seawolf-class sub and I now had a model of the Jimmy Carter.

I saved it to my virtual stash on my iPad, and last week, after I built Trent’s Seawolf, I decided I’d build the Jimmy Carter, too. I loaded the file on my thumb drive, ambled down to my local copying shop and had them print the model.

The colors looked ok on my iPad, but I got home and looked at the printed pages and discovered the colors were, well, off. The Jimmy Carter is all black. The sub’s hull printed out in FOUR different shades of dark gray. Having zero repainting skills, there was nothing I could do, so here is an unintentionally colorful Jimmy Carter.

The Jimmy Carter is the third and last Seawolf-class submarine, but it is unlike its sister ships. A 30-meter Multi-Mission Platform, or MMP, was added to the hull. Much about it is secret, but it is known to include hatches for divers and remotely operated vehicles. It includes special operation equipment, an ROV handling system and other top-secret gear, as well as a passage between the fore and aft sections of the boat.

John’s repaint was in 1/200, but I resized the model to 1/250 to match my Seawolf. Like my Seawolf build, I scratchbuilt the pump jet propeller housing out of gray cardstock to make it more accurate than the version offered in the kit. (Yet another shade of dark gray on the model.)

Maybe I just need to add some judicious weathering....
Attached Thumbnails
SSN-23 USS Jimmy Carter-img_9676.jpg   SSN-23 USS Jimmy Carter-img_9678.jpg   SSN-23 USS Jimmy Carter-img_9680.jpg   SSN-23 USS Jimmy Carter-img_9682.jpg   SSN-23 USS Jimmy Carter-img_9683.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2020, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Apart from the amazing colour mismatch/misprint, great build.

Is this model available somewhere?
Old 06-18-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikischutt View Post
Apart from the amazing colour mismatch/misprint, great build.

Is this model available somewhere?
It was a repaint John did of Trent Henry’s Seawolf. Given that and John’s untimely passing — hence his inability to chime in on the matter — I’m unsure of the propriety of sharing it.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
If you don't have the time to learn to repaint, here is an easy solution for you:
1) use photoshop, or download free the GIMP program
2) look in the menus for the "light/contrast" option
3) Increase/decrease contrast and light untill the hull looks right.
4) Save, print and enjoy
This is a very simplistic solution that works only in this case
Old 06-30-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
If you don't have the time to learn to repaint, here is an easy solution for you:
1) use photoshop, or download free the GIMP program
2) look in the menus for the "light/contrast" option
3) Increase/decrease contrast and light untill the hull looks right.
4) Save, print and enjoy
This is a very simplistic solution that works only in this case
Thanks. I fear the issue here is a printing one. On my iPad and laptop screens, the grays are all the same. Yet when I have them printed at a local print shop (we lack a color printer at home) the grays differ from page to page.

The same thing happened when Yukonjohn repainted one of Murph's Twin Otters in UAE colors. The aircraft is a single shade of dark gray and when I got it printed out, I got different shades from page to page.

Yukonjohn (and John Bowden before him with the Jimmy Carter) certainly didn't change the grays from page to page and, like I said, they look fine on the screen. So all I can figure is there is some printer issue.
Google Adsense
Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Then the problem could have been that the ink cartrige was low or the injectors dry