PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > > >

Old 07-30-2020, 05:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
You are welcome Greg. I hope it works out for you.
The Driggs-Schroeder cannon and propeller look fine.
Mike
Old 07-31-2020, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.78 MB
Calling my sleek little runabout done.

She's all paper or cardboard except the porthole rims, handrail and the torpedo-handling davit on the bridge cupola, the steam whistle on the whaleback, and the vent line on the port stack...all from copper wire. (I forgot the support stay on the funnels --those are elastic EZ-Line.) I ended up using paper for the railing cable after all...though this is one application -- a single-line railing -- where having the stanchions a bit more rigid would have helped keep the railing straighter. My error entirely: I may go back and coat the stanchions with CA, and re-tension the line a bit.

Other than that, I'm really quite happy with how it turned out. It was a fun little project.

A hearty thanks to all who followed along with the process (and who took the time to offer much-appreciated inspiration and advice). A special shout-out to AirDave for his mini-ship-base design (available from his Dave's Card Creations site); it was the perfect accent for this build.

Enjoy the photos!

Last edited by gregbal; 07-31-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 541.32 MB
Wonderfully done, sir. I might have to try a real boat model (as opposed to gaming terrain pieces) sometime.

Totally agree with you on the base. Looks great without distracting from the model
Old 07-31-2020, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great photos. Great work. Congratulations.
1/72 scale worked out nicely. It certainly helps with that Driggs-Schroeder cannon support.
Those are real challenges when made at 1/250 scale.
Looks like the paper railing worked out quite well, even before you go back and make some adjustments.
It was fun and very motivating to watch the process of creating this from scratch.

Mike
Old 07-31-2020, 01:09 PM

Thanks Vermin_King and Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Great photos. Great work. Congratulations.
1/72 scale worked out nicely. It certainly helps with that Driggs-Schroeder cannon support.
Those are real challenges when made at 1/250 scale.
Looks like the paper railing worked out quite well, even before you go back and make some adjustments.
It was fun and very motivating to watch the process of creating this from scratch.

Mike
Funny you should mention the gun mount.
Simply as a place to start, I 'blew up' the same part from the scan of the HMV Maine parts, to 1/72 scale...and it was next-to-useless for anything other than general dimensions. Angles and curvature were 'off.' (I'd used the photo-etch parts on the model, so I hadn't had to deal with the paper version.)
I appreciate the kind words (and the inspiration.)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-31-2020, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 312.77 MB
I like it.I'm not much into boats but this one catched my attention from post one.

Very beautiful lines and model shows it well.I think model could use a cut-out sailor somewhere to show just how small that boat was.

Personally I can't imagine working in engine room.I bet inside of it would be very similar to USS Monitor or early submarines-hot,cramped and full of plumbing.Even gunners don't seem to have much better.The hatch is pretty high and right where gunners feet will be .I think this will be access to ammo box because there is none on deck.

Great work.I wonder if anyone did movie with early torpedo boats.I'll see if I can find one -thanks
Old 07-31-2020, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
What an amazing model. Not to nit pick but, there weren't 50 states in the union back in those days. 48 stars until Alaska and Hawaii were granted statehood.
I wonder if Puerto Rico hasn't been granted statehood so far because it'd screw up the flag.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
What an amazing model. Not to nit pick but, there weren't 50 states in the union back in those days. 48 stars until Alaska and Hawaii were granted statehood.
I wonder if Puerto Rico hasn't been granted statehood so far because it'd screw up the flag.
Actually...it seems it's a 40-star flag, although it's supposed to have 44 stars for period accuracy. Good catch.
It's actually the only thing I used from the scans of the HMV Maine kit, blown up to scale; I really should know better than to use it without checking.
I appreciate the kind words.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.36 MB
Very beautiful model, mate!!!

Well designed, well coloured, well built!!

You made a really great job on this little boat... it can be a good example for who will build a new USS Maine model in the future..

What’s next??
Ciao
Jp
Old 08-01-2020, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 428.74 MB
A superb build, nicely done, Sir.
Login to remove ads