PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-13-2020, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cristobal Colon 1898

So I am slowly, very slowly, building this model of Cristobal Colon in 1/200 ( published by Modelarstwo Kartonowe ). When it came to cowl vents, it was way beyond my time and patience span to make them all the way model designer intended. Instead I developed my own set of 3D printed cowl vents that are way easier to paint and install than the paper version. At least in my case.... Now I'm thinking maybe some of you might also find them useful if you ever consider building this model or even another one with similar type of vents and so I made them available through PaperLab Shapeways store. You can find them here:https://www.shapeways.com/shops/pape...ccessories&s=0
Attached Thumbnails
Cristobal Colon 1898-cristobal_collon.jpg   Cristobal Colon 1898-cristobalcolon_200scale.jpg   Cristobal Colon 1898-cc-cowl-vents.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 09:10 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello PaperLab:
I am not familiar with 3D printing.
Questions: What is the material used by a 3D printer to make objects?
Could you provide a closeup photo of the vents on the ship? I can see them in the photo, but they are small and too distant to see your paint scheme.
Anyway, real nice looking work throughout.
Mike
Old 07-13-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
So I am slowly, very slowly, building this model of Cristobal Colon in 1/200 ( published by Modelarstwo Kartonowe ). When it came to cowl vents, it was way beyond my time and patience span to make them all the way model designer intended. Instead I developed my own set of 3D printed cowl vents that are way easier to paint and install than the paper version. At least in my case.... Now I'm thinking maybe some of you might also find them useful if you ever consider building this model or even another one with similar type of vents and so I made them available through PaperLab Shapeways store. You can find them here:https://www.shapeways.com/shops/pape...ccessories&s=0
The designer is me and the model is spectacular. Congratulations.
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/heinkel-models
Old 07-13-2020, 01:42 PM

Oops, sorry forgot to mention, if the entire set is bit pricey and has too many pieces, I am also offering each sprue as an individual item but you need to talk to me first because I'll be printing them on my own high quality 3D printer. In fact if any of you are looking for some custom made parts for your model I'll be happy to help.

Now to specific questions; Mike the material is plastic or more precisely resin. What Shapeways is using is different technology from what I have. Paper Lab parts on Shapeways are done on Polyjet type of printer. Basically it deposits tiny droplets of resin layer by layer. Similar to paper printers except for a third dimension. My printer is SLA ( Stereolitography ) type of machine and uses narrow laser beam to solidify liquid resin also layer by layer. SLA parts have smoother surfaces than Polyjet's. They closely resemble plastic models you buy in the hobby stores. Except I'm currently using black color resin, which, to think of it, is actually better for this model because you have fewer surfaces to paint...
I've attached couple of quick shots of leftovers already primed and partially painted. When raw these Shapeways parts are white and somewhat translucent.

Heinkel111, thank you for an interesting subject. I find your model very nicely to work with. I only wish I had more time for this hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Cristobal Colon 1898-cc_vents_leftovers_1.jpg   Cristobal Colon 1898-cc_vents_leftovers_2.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 01:58 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Thanks for the photos PaperLab.
Yes, I can see, very detailed.
It even puts the cross supports across the mouth of the opening.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2020, 06:07 PM

Actually you should give me a little credit, those inner brackets I added myself from chopped up PE. ..
3D printing doesn't mean no more manual dexterity....

Cheers

Darius*