PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
What like the most on your models is the Technical and Historical approach, and they, look really awesome in quality, with a excellent photographic explanation !!
Old 09-01-2020, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you JohnMGD.

Indeed, when building sailing ships, I am more fascinated with engineering / technical solutions than with historical issues.
But now I read what I wrote and I see at least two errors :-) The first is not very important, but instead of "jiboom" it should probably be "jibboom". The second one is in the sentence "(...) The advantage of course was the very fast service of the boom, (...)" of course it is not about some "boom (?)", but about a sail called "flying jib". Then it makes sense that "(...) The advantage was the fast handling of flying jib (...)"
And there is a "fopmast" instead of "topmast":-))

Greetings
Tomek
Old 09-01-2020, 12:38 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Its fun following your Armed Virginia Sloop Tomek.
All very artfully done.
Mike
Old 09-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Hello Tomek. Tell me, please, why the forestay is fixed on the bowsprit but not on the stem?
Old 09-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
thats a fine build awesome job
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2020, 02:51 AM

Hi @Dane@,
there is no particular reason for attaching the mainstay to the bowsprit and not to the stem. Both solutions, mounting to the stem and to the bowsprit, were commonly used (probably more often to the stem). The attaching to the stem is on the plans of Miller (based on drawings by Chapelle) and Chapman; the attachment to the bowsprit can be seen in the plans of Edson, Feldman or the Sloup "Mediator" (by Chapelle). I mainly use Feldman's work and the angle between the mast and the stay was probably the key aspect for the author. This angle cannot be too small, because one of the most important ropes on the ship would not fulfill its function. I have no engineering knowledge to calculate the forces acting on the stay and choose the optimal angle (:-) so I believe Feldman was right. Attaching the stay to the bowsprit was not unusual, so I found it possible and credible.
Below is the same drawing of a Bermuda Sloop (Chapman) with a different reconstruction of the sails (Chapelle and Edson).

Greetings
Tomek
Old 09-04-2020, 02:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
That's what I mean the Historical and Technical background and explanation is what I like on your models !!
Old 09-04-2020, 03:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp View Post
Fascinating for a newbie to both paper card modeling and ships. I am working on my first paper card ship, Heinkel CSS Tallahassee and have run into the starving cow hull issue already. Fortunately the hull color is dark and is mostly in shadow sitting on the stand.

Your lengthwise planks have inspired me to eventually try my hand at older sailing ships. Looking forward to watching your progress.
sp

Hello
The problem of the "hungry cow" is avoided by gluing strips of cardboard over the edges of the ribs that make a wider edge.
And then do not press hard when covering the hull, all very gently because if you do this, the "cow" has a soft belly and without marking the ribs.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Armed Virginia Sloop 1:100 scratch-forrado-tel.jpg  
Old 09-14-2020, 01:55 PM

Hello,

thak you for comments and opinions.

Armed Virginia Sloop is finished. I decided that she would be on the side of the rebellious States around 1776. Rigging was not too difficult, there was easy access everywhere, so I dealt with it quickly.
She has even won a "skirmish" at the first model competition in many months (due to COVID-19).
Please visit the gallery:

Greetings
Tomek

PS. Anticipating questions about a possible model release and date, I am pleased to inform you that it should happen in September (this year :-)
Old 09-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking so good, sir. A very handsome vessel
Google Adsense