PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-01-2020, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The hull looks good to me.

I am glad that I am not the only person who, when faced with a model building choice, makes the wrong one in spite of spending some time thinking the issue through. How many times have I said, "How could I have done that?"

In this case, all's well that ended well.

Don
Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
The hull looks good to me.

I am glad that I am not the only person who, when faced with a model building choice, makes the wrong one in spite of spending some time thinking the issue through. How many times have I said, "How could I have done that?"

In this case, all's well that ended well.

Don
Sir I think most of us facing the same problem. only people who don't do anything don't do any mistakes
Old 10-01-2020, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Trust me, your build is terrific. Didn't mean to criticize and appologize if you took it that way. I've never seen instructions from any designer or publisher that even shows this detail. My Hornet screws are all drawn the same and the dotted lines used to show the blade location is only correct on 2 of 4 screws. I have remind myself on every build to make sure i get it right but have flipped more than once. I wouldn't attempt to fix your model, it is beautiful as it is.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER FAN View Post
Trust me, your build is terrific. Didn't mean to criticize and appologize if you took it that way. I've never seen instructions from any designer or publisher that even shows this detail. My Hornet screws are all drawn the same and the dotted lines used to show the blade location is only correct on 2 of 4 screws. I have remind myself on every build to make sure i get it right but have flipped more than once. I wouldn't attempt to fix your model, it is beautiful as it is.
wow no need for any apology, I am actually happy that someone is keeping eyes on my build and help me with my Yukikaze... I wish I had more comments like yours, this is the only way to make it better..Once again thank you Paper Fan
Old 10-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Olo,

Can you describe how you built the wires around the funnel and presumably its the same technique over the launchers.

Bending a long wire is manageable, but I'm really interested in the miniscule 'supporting' struts that hold the larger 'ring' onto the funnel, same on the launchers.

Have just started my own first steps into the wires. I'm making JSC's SOLDEK (1:250) and just did the galley exhaust using small paperclip wire. Thats 4 straight parts 20mm, 4mm and 2 X 3mm. The smaller are assembled into a 'H' supported by the larger.

I used CA. In the first makey-learney attempts used way too much. Finally I got a half decent result. I learned that CA seems to 'grab' more readily if you use less, like a film of it or a really small 'dab'.

So - if it was me, to make that ring on the funnel, best way I can currently think of is lay the main wire straight and horizontal, supported here and there maybe with blu-tack etc. Cut the 'supports' and dab a tiny bit of CA onto the main wire where I want the supports. Carefully add the struts. I'd be hoping the CA would 'grab' the support??

I don't know - but would be great if you have any tips?!

Regards,
Alan
Google Adsense
Old 10-03-2020, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olo View Post
I know there are some people that are so strict in the way models should look like ,but for me it is supposed to be fun... And experimenting is part of it ,otherwise it is hard to learn something. Your models even too dirty are always looking great so dont stop making them the way you want to express them I just hope that one day I will build something as real as possible with all help and comments from real modelers I noticed that the only way to improve is to post your mistakes so people can correct me
That is exactly right. At the end of the day, it's your model, you build it the way you want to, if that means making it dirtier than it might've actually been then go for it. There's always going to be people who'll tell you it's over weathered or not accurate, or built wrong etc. Just as there's going to be people who tell you it's not a paper model if you add too many wires or paints or whatever... blah blah blah. It's up to you how you choose to take those comments and having the ability to accept constructive criticism and learn from it or choose to ignore the negatives is what will help you grow and evolve as a modeler. You're doing an awesome job and learning heaps along the way, just as I'm also learning from your journey, keep up the great work.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 10-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I agree. Being too nice carries the risk of turning the community into a closed self-reinforcing echo chamber. Criticism is a necessity as long as it does not turn into (or is perceived to be) a personal attack.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Olo,

Can you describe how you built the wires around the funnel and presumably its the same technique over the launchers.

Bending a long wire is manageable, but I'm really interested in the miniscule 'supporting' struts that hold the larger 'ring' onto the funnel, same on the launchers.

Have just started my own first steps into the wires. I'm making JSC's SOLDEK (1:250) and just did the galley exhaust using small paperclip wire. Thats 4 straight parts 20mm, 4mm and 2 X 3mm. The smaller are assembled into a 'H' supported by the larger.

I used CA. In the first makey-learney attempts used way too much. Finally I got a half decent result. I learned that CA seems to 'grab' more readily if you use less, like a film of it or a really small 'dab'.

So - if it was me, to make that ring on the funnel, best way I can currently think of is lay the main wire straight and horizontal, supported here and there maybe with blu-tack etc. Cut the 'supports' and dab a tiny bit of CA onto the main wire where I want the supports. Carefully add the struts. I'd be hoping the CA would 'grab' the support??

I don't know - but would be great if you have any tips?!

Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan, The way I am dealing with the wires around the funnels is as follow:

First I make holes where the wires will go in parts before cut parts out. Than I build the part ex.funnel. Nest step I glue the support wires around the part, than shaping the wire that go around accordingly to the drawings. Posts I make by using .3 mm wire and .2 mm for railings.... I am placing shaped wire on the support wires ,which are slightly longer, and than glue it.I use CA glue. At the end I am timing extra wires and paint them...
Old 10-04-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
I agree. Being too nice carries the risk of turning the community into a closed self-reinforcing echo chamber. Criticism is a necessity as long as it does not turn into (or is perceived to be) a personal attack.
I would say if someone is commenting your post with criticism and that person is right, it is the best part of being in the forum. This the knowledge that we can gain from more experience people. I want to learn how to build better models so I am always open for any criticism that will improve my models
Old 10-08-2020, 04:13 PM

In my last ship HMS Hood I left the railing on the main deck as last ,and it wasn't good idea so this time I finished it first and it was so much easier ...

yukikaze destroyer-20201008_180731.jpg

yukikaze destroyer-20201008_180737.jpg

yukikaze destroyer-20201008_180742.jpg