PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-02-2024, 05:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
Sms goetzen - gpm kit - 1:100

Hello and Happy New Year to all paper modelers worldwide !!

As here we say : "what you'll do at the first day of the year, you'll do for all the year.." on 1st January morning I have put my hands on the paper model of the German armed merchant ship SMS GOETZEN, in 1:100 scale, based on a kit of the brand GPM.

The history of this ship is quite interest... built in Germany on 1913, was dismounted in thousands of pieces (about 5000 boxes), and brought by ship, train and feet (on the shoulders of hundred and hundred men) up to the Tanganyika Lake in Africa.

Here the ship was reassembled on 1914, launched on 1915 and armed with a couple of guns and two revolving guns, making of her the most powerful "warship" on that lake.

After some adventures (and a sunk and a refloat) and many changes of owners, this old ship is still afloat and in full service, making his job of transport of goods and people along all the Tanganyika lake, with the actual name of MV LIEMBA.. and probably she is one of the oldest ships (having today more than 110 years old from his building) still in service, worldwide, from that period..

Here is a Wikipedia link where is the history of the ship :

MV Liemba - Wikipedia

The kit published by GPM is a very good one, well designed and printed, with the right dimensions for all the pieces.. Just a note about the assembling instruction that should be a bit more clear in the printing, especially for the ship general arrangement.

The kit proposes the ship in two version : the SMS GOETZEN (the armed one) and the GRAF GOETZEN (without weapons installed) ..
I have choose the armed one, also because the scale of the model (1 : 100) permits me to work very well, especially on many particulars of this ship.

The model has a total length of more than 70 centimeters and actually is one of the largest model I have built..

There are still many things to build on this model, before to have completed it... so, the GOETZEN will be one of my models for the new year 2024...

Again a big wish of an Happy New Year full of joy and paper models to everyone..

Ciao from Italy

JP

Old 01-02-2024, 07:01 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Great choice for a project JP.
I had never heard of this ship.
Very interesting to read the history.
Mike
Old 01-02-2024, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very cool!...
Old 01-02-2024, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Nice choice. A ship with character.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:09 AM

Good morning to all paper modelers...

after a long time of "missing pics", now I would share with all of you the actual status of the dockyard of the armed merchant ship SMS GOETZEN on which I worked on during last months...

The model, in 1:100 scale, is quite completed...

Are just still missing the boats, flags, propellers and rudder, a stand and a transparent case...

I have chosen to build this model looking at the 1st World War appearance, when it was armed with a couple of guns and a couple of revolving guns..

This time, I have left boats as last elements, because I'm still thinking which is the best way to build those elements... Honestly I don't like very much the approach used by the designer.. and I would try something of new for those boats that are enough large to have a more detailed building...

Anyway this GPM kit is well designed, also if (sometimes) I have found little mistakes in pieces dimensions and in instructions (some assembling schema are not very clear..) but I'm satisfied of the final result.

I how you'll like this model and the pics.

Happy paper-modeling to everybody !!

ciao

Jp

Old 04-02-2024, 05:56 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Beautiful JP.
You really show us some fine work here.
The ladders, railing and guns are perfect. And the work with all of those weather protection frames is outstanding. You have the patience for it.
If I may ask, how did you create the ratlines? Again, beautiful.
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 04-02-2024 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added to the comment.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Truly outstanding craftsmanship!

I really like the look of this armed merchant ship with its most interesting history.

Don
Old 04-02-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Beautiful JP.
You really show us some fine work here.
The ladders, railing and guns are perfect. And the work with all of those weather protection frames is outstanding. You have the patience for it.
If I may ask, how did you create the ratlines? Again, beautiful.
Mike
Hello, Mike…

Honestly speaking the ratlines were photoetched parts on paper ..

This time those parts were not made by me..

But, always honestly speaking, I prefer to make ratlines by myself, because the photoetched are too much “flat” while should be a bit overlapped in their crossing.

This was the first time I have used photoetched elements for ratlines .. and I think it will be the last one..

Have a nice time and happy paper modeling!!

Ciao
Jp