PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-05-2024, 03:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.43 MB
Smile Cargo ship Le Thabor, aka Soldek, 1/200, Maty Modelarz

Hello there,

I come back after a long pause, since boats are not my first interest. After The Titanic, the Carpathia (1/1200) and the Neptune (1/600), I come bzck to boats and paper, but this time with a big one, a 1/200 model of the Soldek.

The Soldek is the first cargo ship built in Poland after WWII. Not specially interested in cargo and in Poland, this boat has some fame since she is now a museum boat in Gdansk, Poland. This fame is certainly the reason why this particular ship inspired the Thabor, Cdr Calec's boat during his Indochinese adventures.

If you do not see my point, this may be for the comic "Tramp" is not famous outside France.

Please note that the color of the boat on the frontpage of the book just above is wrong compared to the actual ship and to the ship in the story.

My father, having seen my previous builds, "suggested" me to build one of Cdr Calec's ship. Since the model will not be stored at home, I kept the 1/200 scale, which makes a 40 cms model. Dad will be happy; mum a bit less

The model is an old polish one. I had to translate the instructions into French before beginning. Googled polish is not always clear, but I hope it will be enough.

It begins with the hull's skeleton, which is realised with thin cardboard.

Hope you will get interested, please add a comment!
Google Adsense
Old 04-05-2024, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.21 GB
An interesting work. I will follow with pleasure.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:11 PM

I worked on the lower side of the hull. It is hard to obtain a perfect match between the differents parts, so I glued thin strips of unused hull parts of the same reddish colour to hide the spaces.

The next step consist of gluing the deck on this, then the upper side of the hull.

Please comment to help me progress !
Old 04-19-2024, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 GB
Interesting project.
I am a fan of this comic Tramp!
Old 04-19-2024, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I tried building this model in mid 80s when I was a kid. Failed spectacularly in part due to use of water based glue. I'll watch your build and see what I missed lol

I've seen cover of this comic Tramp somewhere in Poland. Too bad I didn't pick it up.
Google Adsense
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

Hello,

The hull is finished. I suffered building her stern. The rear part is too short to fit with the sides parts. I had to reshape the rear deck to shorten the perimeter and it was not enough.

Next step will consist of minor changes on the hull: coloring the paper edges and the spaces between them and trying to write the name of the boat.