PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-25-2024, 03:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 157.17 MB
USS TEXAS 1892 - 1:200 from Heinkel Models

Hello to all paper modelers...

As wrote in another thread (the PELAYO one), having completed the model of this Spanish battleship, I was looking for a new model to start...

Looking at the same period of the Pelayo, just around the years of the Spanish-American war, I have decided to build another kit from Heinkel Models firm, and I decided to build a model of the pre.dreadnought american battleship USS TEXAS for which I bought the kit drawings some months ago..

As promise to some of you, for this model I'll try to manage this thread in "steps" during the building of this ship starting from the very early stages and going forward as the build will proceed.

So, the following are the very first pics of this "dockyard"... one is the first page of the kit, while the second pics is about the first step of gluing the false keel and the ordinates of the hull on a single sheet of cardboard (1.5 mm thick) that i still had in my cardboard reserve.

As for many other models, I prefer do not "connect" each other the parts of the false keel, preferring, instead to glue the sheets of those parts in a just one single element, in the way to avoid joints that could bring to differences and change of shape line if not very glued and aligned.

On the same sheet of cardboard I have glued (using a spray glue) also some other elements... In the next days I'll have to buy another sheet of cardboard of the same thickness in order to glue on the reinforcement at the waterline level (as a false bridge) and the whole upper bridge.

In any case, when I'll cut the false ordinates (or ribs..if you prefer..) I'll cut also the slots for passing wooden walnut strips (4 x 4 or 5 x 5 mm) along the hull length and also I'll cut on top, at the level of the upper bridge, some slots that will permit to put on some wooden strips of 1.5 x 5 or 6 mm, that will be used to permit the upper bridge to be glued straight and increasing the strength of the whole hull...

Honestly still don't have yet decided if Ill left closed the lateral casemates for guns or I'll open them... In this second case I'll have to add the floor and the space to host the guns that will be visible.. .

Anyway... those are my very first steps for this model..

Soon I'll update you when the building will go on...

For the moment.. have an happy paper modeling !!!

ciao from Italy

Jp

Old 03-25-2024, 05:50 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Ciao JP.
As always, looking forward to your report. Last year, I thought about building this ship from scratch. I did a few drawings. But now, Heinkel has done it all.
Looking forward to seeing your work.
Mike
Old 03-25-2024, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.20 MB
Much improvement in the construction of this model JP...it is designed very well..
Old Today, 03:27 AM

Hello to all paper modelers !!!

As promised, regarding this kit from Heinkel Models of the battleship USS TEXAS, I'll try to share as much as possible the ongoing building, describing also the approach, the changes and the tricks that I'll use during the realization of this model.

Le'ts start from the false keel ....
because the kit is printed on A4 pages, the designer has divided into two parts the false keel... that, once glued on 1mm or 1.5 mm cardboard, should be cut and joined using some reinforcement pieces of cardboard.

Honestly, I don't like this kind of join and, anytime I can do it, I prefer to realize the false keel in just one piece avoiding the horizontal separation between hull above waterline and below waterline.

So, I bought a 1 mm cardboard and I glued on it (using a spray glue) the two pieces of the false keel, one close the other, aligning the two pieces with a metal ruler, to assure the gluing without any variations along the hull lenght.

Once glued, I have measured for each ordinate, the length of the slot that I have to cut vertically, to permit to every ordinate to be positioned on the false keel, having enough space for gluing the ordinate on the keel.

The following picture shows the false keel, realized as above described, and are indicated the slots I have realized, calculated for each ordinate.
Is indicated also the "connection line" between the two pieces of the false keel that I have glued on the same piece of cardboard.

Ordinates
Then the following step was to cut every ordinate to be insert on the false keel, but making on each one the following modifications from the original design :

1) Cut of the vertical slot that permits to "slide in" the equivalent realized on the false keel for each ordinate;

2) Cut the "horizontal slots" that will permit to slide in the two pieces (not yet realized at this moment..) at the waterline level, that will be used as reinforcement for the whole hull and will provide a support for gluing the hull covers pieces and the lateral sides of the hull above waterline;

3) Cut, on the upper top of many ordinates (excluding the first and last one) a series of slots (7 x 2 millimeters) that will be used to install some wooden strips that will help to maintain the ordinates in the right angle (with the keel) and provide at the same time a greater strength of the whole hull plus a further, straight base, when the bridge will be glued, from stem to stern.
For many ordinates (the largest) have been cut 4 slots on top : 2 to insert a longer wooden strip (more close to the centerline of the keel) and 2 a bit smaller, more close to the external side of the ordinate, and following towards stem and stern the shape of the hull..

In the following picture you can see the ordinates, with all the slots cut, ready to be inserted into the false keel..

Mounting of ordinates on false keel
In the next two picture you'll see the mounting of the ordinates on the false keel and the positions of the wooden strips on top the ordinates in order to reinforce the hull and give a good base for the upper bridge (once positioned in place)

now, next step, will be to glue on 1mm cardboard, the lateral parts of the reinforcement of the hull at the waterline level, avoiding joints (like done for the false keel), cut the slots into those pieces , insert in the way to "touch" the false keel and glue everything with attention...

Hoping you'll like this method (that I'm using quite on every model) of building, I'll keep you updated for the next steps.

Have an happy paper-modeling

ciao

Jp
Old Today, 03:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.20 MB
Interesting tutorial JP...I will follow your posts with interest...Continued success with the construction of this model..
Google Adsense
Old Today, 05:48 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Ciao JP,
Your description of your techniques is excellent. Nice work. There is a lot to learn here.

I like your technique to install “wooden strips on top the ordinates”. I see many advantages to that. May I borrow your technique to use on my next ship?

Regards,
Mke

Last edited by Michael Mash; Today at 06:36 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old Today, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool

I love those old warships from the late 1800's

I do not build card models of boats, but am an avid modeler of radio controlled boats. One such model is an old Torpedo boat TB-6 USS Porter . it is 6 ft 5 inches long.

USS TEXAS 1892 - 1:200 from Heinkel Models-tb-6.jpg

USS TEXAS 1892 - 1:200 from Heinkel Models-tb-6-cradle.jpg

Also an old 1918 vintage Mine sweeper.

Isaac
Old Today, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Ciao JP,
Your description of your techniques is excellent. Nice work. There is a lot to learn here.

I like your technique to install “wooden strips on top the ordinates”. I see many advantages to that. May I borrow your technique to use on my next ship?

Regards,
Mke
Hello, Mike!!

Sure you ald all others paper models can use what I have just shared here..

It’ very good to have something to show as is very good for me learn something from other modelers!!

Have a nice time.

Ciao
Jp