Old 02-19-2021, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Coming along in museum quality.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:32 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
06 – Upper Hull

Thank you Ab, Joe, David, Dan and Greg.
I appreciate the response. Glad to see your interest.

Here are several new photos to show the completion of the hull.

The addition of a stern platform shows the influence from Russian and French Predreadnought battleships. I have heard this sort of thing called an “Admiral’s Walk”. I don’t know the history behind the phrase. Perhaps somebody following this work can add some comments about that. The platform “wings” serve two purposes: First as propeller guards, second as gun platforms. I will probably mount 47m Hotchkiss type guns, one on each platform.

The final image (044) shows the armor belt installed from bow to stern. The graphic use of “rivets” can be seen throughout the armor belt and upper hull. I first saw the technique used on the Digital Navy Russian battleship “Oslabya” that I built in 2009. I always admired the way it enhanced the appearance of the hull, so I included it here.

There will be a number of design characteristics that will be spontaneous with this project.
One of them appears in image 040. I had not planned it in advance, but I created a “Coat Of Arms” that looks about right for the stern.

I have not yet made a final decision about those “gold” propellers. I may yet change the color to what I used on Neptune.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-039-stern-platform.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-040-stern.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-041-port-bow-armor-belt.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-042-hull-overview.jpg  
Old 03-21-2021, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
As construction progresses, we can see more surprises.
Is the coat of arms or design inspired?
Regards, Joe
Old 03-21-2021, 04:54 PM
POTM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe711 View Post
As construction progresses, we can see more surprises.
Is the coat of arms or design inspired?
Regards, Joe

Thanks Joe: The “Coat Of Arms” is my own creation. Here is an enlarged image for clarity.
As you can see, it has swords, a Viking helmet and a pair of birds (representing Ravens) . . . all in harmony with the “Ulberht” theme.
At the center are the first two symbols seen on an actual Ulfbehrt sword . . . . . as you can see in the second image.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-046-stern-shield-decor-graphic.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-047-ulfberht-sword.jpg  
Old 03-21-2021, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a beautiful hull and a fascinating alternative universe project.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2021, 06:25 PM
POTM Moderator

07 – Barbettes, Bulwarks, Superstructure

Thank you Don.
Here are a few more images.

I created the barbettes (card) for the forward and aft 305mm guns, and the barrel/axles (my name for them) that allow the turrets to rotate. Then I created the bulwarks (paper). I plan to mount several 47mm guns along the top of the bulwarks later.

This project has now reached the point where superstructure needs to be planned and created.
These old ships had simple superstructures, when compared with the dreadnoughts that came later.
Ulfberht will follow that pattern. The final image shows the lower superstructure (paper), navigation deck (card), and various brackets (paper).

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-048-turret-parts-skylights.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-049-forward-305-mm-gun-barbette.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-050-aft-305-mm-gun-barbette.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-051-bulwarks.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-052-barbettes-bulwarks-installed.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-053-superstructure-elements.jpg  
Old 04-04-2021, 12:39 PM

After the hull block, I'm waiting for the onboard equipment. This is the world of fine, precise cuts and fitting ...
Regards,Joe
Old 05-01-2021, 05:02 PM
POTM Moderator

08 – Forward Superstructure

Thank you Joe.

Good progress has been made with the forward superstructure. It includes some experimentation with lamination. I have always laminated/doubled the thickness of card for frames and sometimes for decks. I decided to try laminating paper. For the support frame (Image 55), I was looking for something thicker than paper, but thinner than card. So I laminated/doubled the thickness of my 20lb paper stock. It worked out quite well. It remained easy to cut, but did not have as much loose paper fiber along the edges . . . perhaps because of the glue between the two layers. I am very happy with the result.

Image 56 shows the support frame pieces (upper right) after all the cutting was done. Also in this image is the (paper) bridge, its parquet floor and rolled paper support columns for the navigation deck.

Image 57 displays the simple balsa jig I created to help keep the navigation deck support columns straight and uniform during installation.

Image 59 includes the lower superstructure, the laminated assembled support frame and something I seldom use: a laser cut steering wheel for the bridge. The company I am employed by has a customer that works in graphics arts. They use laser cutters, so I paid (dearly) for them to create a few laser cut parts for Ulfberht. There will be a few more laser parts in the future, and I will point them out as they appear. The wheel was cut from 0.026” card stock.

The final images show the lower superstructure and navigation deck coming together.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-055-print-layout-arches.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-056-bridge-support-columns.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-057-support-columns-installation-jig.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-058-underside-nav-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-059-forward-superstructure-assemblies.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-060-navigation-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-061-navigation-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-062-navigation-deck.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-063-test-fit-nav-deck.jpg  
Old 05-02-2021, 12:49 PM

My experience with cutting glued paper is very positive. It is a very good idea to use the template shown in the image to fine-tune the columns. I think that on this scale, laser cutting is absolutely necessary to give a true-to-life display of the steering wheel.

Regards,Joe
Old 05-02-2021, 02:38 PM
POTM Moderator

Hello Joe:
It is fun to experiment. This project provides an opportunity to learn new methods.
I made steering wheels for my previous ships. However, I cannot cut them as fast.
And I cannot cut them as precise as the laser cutter.

Szia Joe:
Nagyon jó kísérletezni. Ez a projekt lehetőséget nyújt új módszerek elsajátítására.
Kerekeket készítettem előző hajóimhoz. Azonban nem tudom olyan gyorsan vágni őket.
És nem tudom olyan pontosan vágni őket, mint a lézervágó.
Mike
Google Adsense