PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-18-2024, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wow! I wish Jim were here to revel in that coincidence.

Please indulge me while I quote here the beginning and end of my remarks at Jim's celebration of life last year. It seems to me appropriate to use this thread to provide a remembrance of a fellow member of this Forum and my best friend:

"History is contingent. I first met Jim in the autumn of 1954 because he and I both decided on the same day to join the Parkville Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol. We soon discovered that we shared a lot of interests. Aviation, obviously, but also ships and the sea, railroads, the study of history and geography, nature and the outdoors, art, and literature and music.

Over the next four years, we were inseparable: exploring the Baltimore waterfront; walking and bicycling around the city; visiting the Pratt Library and the Walters Art Gallery; hiking and backpacking; building models; firing rockets into the air with the Rocket Research of Baltimore club; flying with the CAP or at Quinn Airport, where we both learned to fly in the same ancient yellow Piper Cub airplane; or listening to music from Mr. Reuter’s vast record collection . . .

Throughout his life, Jim was an avid learner. In the last message I received from him, Jim said, “Dear Old Boy – I am reading Rebecca West’s Black Lamb and Grey Falcon,” after which he set forth some thoughts on the history of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Every time I read or hear about something within our very wide orbit of interests, I find myself thinking, “I have to tell Jim about this.” And in my mind, I still carry on the conversation that began 69 years ago.

And I always will."

Don
Old 02-18-2024, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, MIke.

Magnifique!

I agree with abhovi that your wonderful model is a lock for Picture of the Month, but of course there is a problem. How many member's votes would it take to override the choice of the POTM editor?

Fabulous concept and execution of a remarkable vision.

All the best,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 02-27-2024, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
I don't toss around words like "epic" too often...but this was truly an EPIC project both in concept and execution. A stunning build of my favorite era of ships...and the 'Jules Verne' comparisons are entirely appropriate. Congratulations on an artful and majestic build!
Old 03-01-2024, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.77 MB
Good day Mike.
After I came across your unique project, or as you call it an experimental project, I couldn't tear myself away from watching it. Unfortunately, using Google Translate I can hardly express my admiration for your work. But I can say the following. I have been making and designing cardboard models for many years, but your masterpiece made me discover the beauty of cardboard ship modeling. I'm already starting a third ship model. From tomorrow I will start showing it in the forum. I want to say that you play a big role in its creation.
I wish you many more beautiful models to please our eyes.
Lachezar