PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-15-2020, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
My method for making sea bases

Several people asked how I made the water for Uragan.

I use an adaptation of a method I believe was developed originally by Jim Baumann in England for his excellent resin waterline models. The water surface is heavy (300gsm) all-cotton artisanal watercolour paper sealed and painted using car body touch up lacquer aerosol paint cans in various tones of grey, blue, and green. For a shiny surface I use the gloss coat for these touch-up paints.

The model is in a recess. I glue risers (Japanese toothpicks for Uragan) underneath the paper to make wave crests and the basic wake. I then join the paper to a base of 3mm black foam core board using heavy-duty double sided tape and fill any gaps at the edge with Polycell’s Polyfilla from a tube or something similar and blacken the edges. This base then fixes on a suitable plinth with the same double-sided tape.

I fill any gaps between the paper and the hull with gloss artist’s gel and also use it to add additional texture to wakes, wave crests, and create additional ripples. I dry brush details using white, light green, and light blue paints and finish the process by giving the whole water base a coat of acrylic gloss floor polish (like Pledge, Kleer, Future, or whatever it is being called in your locality).

I find this method is very controllable, produces predictable results, is relatively clean (in terms of its impact on your working space), is quick to create, and looks very realistic. Thanks again to Jim Baumann for its genesis.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
My method for making sea bases-base-2.jpg   My method for making sea bases-base-3.jpg   My method for making sea bases-base-4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesaxe View Post
Several people asked how I made the water for Uragan.

I use an adaptation of a method I believe was developed originally by Jim Baumann in England for his excellent resin waterline models. The water surface is heavy (300gsm) all-cotton artisanal watercolour paper sealed and painted using car body touch up lacquer aerosol paint cans in various tones of grey, blue, and green. For a shiny surface I use the gloss coat for these touch-up paints.

The model is in a recess. I glue risers (Japanese toothpicks for Uragan) underneath the paper to make wave crests and the basic wake. I then join the paper to a base of 3mm black foam core board using heavy-duty double sided tape and fill any gaps at the edge with Polycell’s Polyfilla from a tube or something similar and blacken the edges. This base then fixes on a suitable plinth with the same double-sided tape.

I fill any gaps between the paper and the hull with gloss artist’s gel and also use it to add additional texture to wakes, wave crests, and create additional ripples. I dry brush details using white, light green, and light blue paints and finish the process by giving the whole water base a coat of acrylic gloss floor polish (like Pledge, Kleer, Future, or whatever it is being called in your locality).

I find this method is very controllable, produces predictable results, is relatively clean (in terms of its impact on your working space), is quick to create, and looks very realistic. Thanks again to Jim Baumann for its genesis.

Maurice
Thanks! I will definitely try using this method.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you very much for sharing!
And yes, Mr. Baumann is an excellent modeler!
ModelWarships.com - Gallery
Old 11-15-2020, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Ohhhh, THAT is an idea!
Old 11-15-2020, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
thanks for sharing
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2020, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Thank you for sharing, very good idea !

Regards, Joe