PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-18-2020, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Deck Fittings And Tuning Up

Ahoy PaperWrights

For the Assembly for today I Burnished more Of the hull smoothing Things Out Here and there Time to move to The Deck furniture which Is Plenty. I constructed the anchor windless and the Wildcats On the windless Companion ways Sky Lights Were all constructed. Before assembly Commenced I Removed the Bilge Keels Bilge Keels Were not Used until the Very Late 19th Century 1890 to the 20th Century. The Screw and rudder Assemblies were constructed And Installed On the Hull Giving Her Power to Master the Sea.

One Thing I love About this kit not Only It Easy assembly and well design Its the Era These Immigrants Traveled On They Were A Quite Improvement apposed to the Clippers Of that Era all Steel Hull Early Navel Engineering. What could Be much Better then Having an Option Steam Or Sail.

Construction Wise This Truly A Well Designed Kit And Presents No fit Issues Dry Fitting Is A Must Like all Models In General. Below Are todays construction Pictures Of Vessel Stay Posted more tomorrow Letting Her Dry Over night Resume tomorrow. Please Be Safe Fellas God bless Everyone

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00088.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00089.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00090.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00091.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00092.jpg  

Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00094.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00095.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00096.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00097.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00098.jpg  

Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00099.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00100.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00101.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00102.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00103.jpg  

Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00104.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00105.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00106.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00107.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00108.jpg  

Old 11-18-2020, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent work on the deck furniture!

Don
Old 11-19-2020, 06:52 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Good to see your work again Boats.
Be careful with those cigars.
We don't want any shipyard fires or coal bunker explosions.
Mike
Old 11-19-2020, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Hi Boats,

How do you prevent the hull from warping (eg, so you don't get a 'banana' shaped hull!)?

How do you prevent the hull skins from buckling? (It seems the skeleton of the model has only the keel, waterplane and the deck - and the skins have to be stuck to these with no support in between?)

Regards,
Alan
Old 11-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Hi Boats,

How do you prevent the hull from warping (eg, so you don't get a 'banana' shaped hull!)?

How do you prevent the hull skins from buckling? (It seems the skeleton of the model has only the keel, waterplane and the deck - and the skins have to be stuck to these with no support in between?)

Regards,
Alan
Ahoy Positive
Thank you for Tuning In The Keel And Hull stations were Built On A Building board to Prevent Warpage. The Formers Have Butt Strips Glued On top Of Them I am not done with The Hull Yet. I Have Plating to do On the Hull I Am Adding more Detail to the kit then What It Was Designed The Butt Strips Were no Pictured they were Put On After the first Posting All kit Have former butt Strips This kit does Not haver butt Strips You Have to Make your Own. I Added The Hull plating On the Port Side Got the Starboard side to do A lot more work Will Be added to This build. This kit got Me Interested To No End I love 19th Century Vessels They Have Great Hull lines for that Era.

Boats
Old 11-19-2020, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Hi Boats,
Ok - after the keel and hull stations were complete - did you remove from the building board at that stage?
I have the idea the keel and upper hull stations were then added to the waterplane, then the lower keel and lower hull stations added?
I haven't attempted a full-hull model as yet so I am wondering about the best sequence and a master like you knows all the tricks!
I have made a mistake with my latest build, a waterline model, its a slight banana boat now! I should have glued the waterplane area to the building board (or glass) first, then add keel, stations and deck before cutting it off and adding the hull plates (3 sections port and starboard). I have a slight bulge on one side now, never mind, I learned, and can still carry on with the rest of the model.
Thanks for your reply,
Alan
Old 11-21-2020, 03:38 PM

Deck Furniture And Tuning Up The Hull

Ahoy PaperWrights

another update Here Stay posted I Should Have another posting By Late this Evening. Okay Back to the Build Thus Far from the Last Posting I constructed the Remainder Less Cowl Vents and Funnel Along with the Bridge. Have been constructed and attached to the Deck The Hull Was Re Burnished Adding Card Stock to Simulate the Hull plating They were Bashed in By Bashers Using Clinker Type Hull Plating Which was done At that era. Weathering the Hull plates with Pastels. A Technical note I went Beyond The Straight construction as designed from the kit The Weathering and Other Details Have Been added to give the Vessel 3D and Its elements A Professional English modeler Brian King Once noted As I Quote Americans Build to Clean No substance Of Elements Of the Real Vessel. It Can Be done On Paper Easier Then Plastic Or Wood Its all in the skill from your Heart to your Hands.

In Overview This Is A wonderful kit and Design I Have A Love for the Late 19th Century and Early 20th Century Designs In the Developing Of Trans Atlantic Liners. anyone Who Has This kit will find It Very Delightful to build without fuss, When Adding bottom sheathing Of the Hull skins Make Certain you glue down colored Butt Strips to the Hull formers So The Hull Skins Can Be Attached There Are none In the kit the Designer Left This for The Builder to add his Own If Wished. Below Are The Following construction update.

Thank you Everyone for your views and comments Ole boats Is Honored Always

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00111.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00112.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00113.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00114.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00115.jpg  

Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00116.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00117.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00118.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00119.jpg  
Old 11-24-2020, 01:46 PM

Fitting Out And Deck Furniture

Ahoy PaperWrights

Another Build update More to come Having A Ball with This One done some research On this Vessel And found some Drydock Photos Of Her The Hull plating Was done By Bashers Back In Those Days No Klinker Type Metal plating Was done All Over Lapped with Plenty Of Rust No model Looks good without The elements Of Wear and Tear. I Added the Hull plating I went Beyond the kits Design So anyone Who Buys This kit and add It to your files No sense Of doing what I Have done the model looks great without the Extra work The construction Is optional.

The Mast were Rolled With A little water to soften up the Fibers for easy Rolling I Made A wooden dowl formed to shape and rolled the Paper Mast Over the wooden dowl Its east to form Parts first Before assembly. The boat Davids were cutted Out from the Kit Mersed In Crazy Glue to change the Paper to plastic It Makes Parts like this Very Strong No Fear Of Bending Plenty more work Has to Be done Before the final reveal.

I Personally would love to thank the designer for this kit He done A wonderful job Designing A Vessel from A Bygone Ear the Grand Daddy Of the Trans Atlantic Liners. Below Are some Shots Next the Completion Of the Mast and Yards and A Few more sundries will complete the Build

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00120.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00121.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00122.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00123.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00124.jpg  

Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00125.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00126.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00127.jpg   Heinkel  1/200  S.S. FRISIA-dsc00128.jpg  
Old 11-24-2020, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Hi there Boats Nice to see a ship in paper and your work, I like the paper masts a lot.