PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-17-2020, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
Austro-Hungarian monitor Leitha

This model I completed about two months ago of the Imperial and Royal Navy’s Danube Flotilla monitor Leitha, a vessel that is still afloat almost 150 years after it entered service, restored as a museum ship.

My model was built from the 1:250-scale paper kit published by JSC with some extra detail. I added laser-cut paper ladders and railings and substituted model railway chain for the anchor cables. I scratch built bollards and the jollboot (because it seemed too deep compared to my drawings) from paper. I added scratch-built masts, flag staffs, steam pipes, davits, anchor davits, a siren, and a galley chimney from brass rod. I also scratch built bitts, mooring posts, and the two pumps from brass because JSC provided these only as two-dimensional shapes printed on the deck. The hawse pipes and cable fairleads were from copper tube. JSC produces a set of laser-cut card details for this kit but I used only part of it: the steering wheel, the anchors, the landing brows, and the interior details and rudder for the gig. Rigging and the tackles on the davits were from chemically blackened fine copper wire.

Nevertheless, this JSC model was a great deal of pleasure to build.

I made the ‘Danube River’ and the plinth in the same way as for my model of the Russian monitor Uragan. The sailors were modified Preiser Z-scale figures. The most important changes were those needed to make sure they were not too tall because Preiser’s figures are 1:220-scale whereas the model is 1:250-scale. Let us hope Leitha's crew is ready to salute the captain as he comes aboard!

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
Austro-Hungarian monitor Leitha-leitha-2.jpg   Austro-Hungarian monitor Leitha-leitha-4.jpg   Austro-Hungarian monitor Leitha-leitha-1.jpg   Austro-Hungarian monitor Leitha-leitha-5.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2020, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Great model of another monitor I never heard of.

I found 360 inside view of it.

https://www.360cities.net/image/sms-leitha-3
Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great build.

Wyvern
Old 11-18-2020, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Another amazing monitor!
Let me ask you about the crew.
What type of figures are these?
It's ok to be any media!!!
Old 11-18-2020, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.45 MB
Great job, great diorama!
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2020, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
Another amazing monitor!
Let me ask you about the crew.
What type of figures are these?
It's ok to be any media!!!

I use the Preiser Z-scale figures for model railways shown below. Preiser offers a great variety of poses which is very useful. The one problem is that the figures are 1:220 scale and my models are 1:250 scale. This may not seem too far apart but a average height male in 1:220 scale is 8mm high, which is a person 2 metres in height in 1:250 scale--not impossible but quite rare. Fortunately, Preiser's figures also are of various heights so it is possible to select those closer to 7mm high, which equates to a more average male's height. Also, it is possible to adjust figures to make them a little shorter--and the height difference is less noticeable when dealing with seated figures.

The fact that this set is for model railways is helpful because quite a few figures are in various styles of uniforms. To modify clothing I use gesso and thick primer paint shaped with small files and knife blades, and also paper punchings and pieces of fine wire.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
Austro-Hungarian monitor Leitha-leitha-6.jpg  
Old 11-18-2020, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Nice work, thanks for sharing!
the Leitha great my favorite...
regards,joe