PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-29-2020, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
I assume you mean that not many models of pre-1900 warships are shown on this site. There are well over a hundred such models published; so many that my biggest problem often is trying to decide which one to build next!

Maurice
Old 12-01-2020, 10:44 AM

SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale

I have made further progress with building Prinz Adalbert. Forward on the main deck I have installed the funnel and its associated steam pipes. These were built the usual way by rolling the parts around suitable mandrels. I used tracing paper to make a tab when joining the funnel seam. Each steam pipe I rolled around brass rod and left most of it inside to give me a peg at the bottom that fitted into a hole in the casing. Their support brackets are a single piece of fine brass wire passed through the funnel from side to side.

Towards the stern I installed the circular fixed turret. I opened up two of the gun ports and fitted the two guns that armed the turret. There are eight ports around the turret but, even though the guns could be moved to fire through any of them, their field of fire was very limited.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-26.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-29.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-27.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-28.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 11:45 AM

Progress has been slower than I had hoped, partially because of other pressing obligations and partially because making up parts has sometimes been frustrating.

It was surprisingly easy to add the finer details (skylight, gun port lids, ventilator) to the fixed turret, although there was some excitement assembling the turret top ventilator, which is a single piece a little less than 5mm high.

The ventilators forward of the funnel proved to be a different matter. I made up the tall slender ventilator first, reasoning that it would be the most difficult to make because it was the smallest. To my delight, it too was not too difficult. Once again I used a suitable brass rod inside the shaft to provide a solid fixing for the finished part.

The two large ventilators just forward of the funnel were an entirely different matter. I formed each shaft around more brass rod. Heinkel’s design for the bowls of all these ventilators is rather unusual and, in this instance, came close to defeating me. The two items you see installed on the model are the survivors of no less than seven attempts to make these two ventilators. The only positive aspect of the entire process was that it demonstrated one of the advantages of modelling in paper or card; when I ruined one assembly I could simply print another copy and try again.

You may notice I have installed one of the ladders leading up to the foredeck. This is a laser-cut paper item that was rather delicate to put together. There were two ready to put in place at one point but the other flew out of my tweezers on to the floor, where I promptly stepped on it when I went to pick it up. I decided then that I should take a break and calm down before resuming this project.

Thank you again for all your encouraging support.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-31.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-30.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-33.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-32.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 12:31 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Maurice:
Most of us could build an entire ship out of the parts we drop on the floor.
Your Prinz Adalbert looks good. Ventilators are tough. I have made many of them out of paper and some out of wood. The paper ones require much more attention and work.
Mike
Old 12-05-2020, 05:23 PM

Today was much calmer and more productive.

I first assembled and installed five more ladders: the other one leading up to the foredeck, two accessing the turret top, and two leading to the poop deck.

I then rolled the bowsprit and made the two box-section catheads. After fitting the chocks for these parts I installed them on the foredeck.

With the bowsprit and catheads in place I was in a position to fit the railings around the foredeck, a task that essentially completed that part of the model. I also shaped and fitted the railings around the turret top, which completed that area of the model, too. The railings are from laser-cut paper.

I also added the funnel stays from very fine copper wires. The final details I completed today were the accommodation ladders which again are from laser-cut paper and installed in their stowed position just forward of the entry port against the bulwarks on each side.

Thank you again for your encouragement.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-35.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-36.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-34.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-06-2020, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Your details look great. Wonderful job you're doing.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:01 AM

I really appreciate your support for this project. Thank you.

Today I began work on the model’s spars. This brig’s fore and main masts were identical, which was quite common during this period of sailing warships. Prinz Adalbert’s spars were an interesting combination of new and old technologies. The lower masts were iron tubes, the topmasts and yards were wooden. I used Heinkel Models’ parts for the masts, but I wrapped the paper pieces around brass rod cores for strength. The tops and mast caps were Heinkel's laminated card which I hardened with CA glue and then painted (something I was going to have to do because of the raw edges).

I really hate the way my phone’s lens makes it seem that the masts diverge – their rakes are in reality identical and parallel to that of the funnel!

I tried to use the parts supplied to make the two gaffs but, after several attempts, I failed to make satisfactory tapered spars using them. Instead I made new gaffs from brass rod.

I had already decided that my model would have furled sails. I am using the Heinkel Models sails printed out on tracing paper. I first coated them with an approximately 50-50 mixture of white glue and water. After they were dry, I cut them out. For these gaff sails I cut off half of the sail measuring from the luff (the edge against the mast) so that the finished result would not be too bulky. After coating the sails with water (which makes them malleable) I furled them parallel with the mast using tweezers to do the work. After letting them dry again I glued them to the masts and the gaffs.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-37.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-38.jpg  
Old 12-11-2020, 10:05 AM

I started on what will be the very long process of rigging Prinz Adalbert.

First, I mounted the model on a temporary base because the extreme tumblehome of the sides was making it difficult to handle without damaging the top hamper.

The channels came from the kit—I used brass wire pins plus glue to make sure they were fastened strongly.

Next I added all the stays for the foremast. The fore stay is 0.3mm Albion Alloys brass, the topmast and topgallant stays are 0.2mm brass from the same source. The chain bobstay is photoetched brass from Aber that I found I had in stock.

I added the furled jib in a similar way to the two gaff sails. I am not depicting a ‘harbour stow’ of the sails because I am planning to show Prinz Adalbert entering port under steam power having arrived under sail, so the sails are simply furled.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-39.jpg  
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 PM

I am free at last from dealing with issues caused by the current situation and able to return to working on my model of Prinz Adalbert. I began by making the shrouds. My method is an adaptation inspired by a concept I saw used on another site for a model of the original Ark Royal of 1588. I use a simple frame from strips of styrene set around a full-size drawing of the shrouds. The wires are held by double sided tape.

These are the starboard lower shrouds from 0.2mm Albion Alloys brass with 0.1mm nickel silver ratlines, all held together with minimal amounts of solder for the outermost intersections and CA for the others.

Thank you all again for your interest and support.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-40.jpg  
Old 01-27-2021, 01:05 PM

Soldering the outer shrouds was not a success! My main concern was to avoid distortion due to expansion and I succeeded in that but, when I separated the shrouds from the jig, they curled into vertical semi-tubes and I could not make them flat.

Accordingly, I started from the beginning but used CA only. This worked very well and I only had two ratlines loosen while cleaning up the pieces (which was simple to correct). Now I can assemble with confidence the lower shrouds for the port side and all four sets of shrouds for the topmasts. I just have to steel myself for the next phase which is making and fitting almost ninety deadeyes and their lanyards.

In the meantime, today saw the installation of the stays for the mainmast: mainstay, main topmast stay, and main topgallant stay. Prinz Adalbert’s mainstay and main topmast stay were doubled because they had to pass on either side of the funnel. The model’s stays once again are Albion Alloys 0.3mm and 0.2mm brass rod. The only remaining standing rigging task is fitting the backstays but that must wait until I have the shrouds in place.

I also fitted the peak halliards for the two gaffs. Since these are standing gaffs, there was no need to fit throat halliards.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-41.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-42.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-43.jpg  
Google Adsense