PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-12-2021, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.09 MB
Wow, very well done. The helicopters are a cool detail & look to be amazingly fine work.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Very, very inspiring. I have one Polarstern in 1/400 enlarged from 1/500. After your build I think I need to move it into the priority list.
Thank you for sharing all the process.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:43 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Looks real good . . . including those helicopters.
Well done Greg!
Old 01-22-2021, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Beachead,
I am curious about the workboat on the port side aft of the ships lifeboats - is it really supposed to be stern first in the davits? Would be very very unusual, but then, welcome to the world of research ships..
Superb build by the way, love the choppers - that I find daunting!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-31-2021, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Beachead,
I am curious about the workboat on the port side aft of the ships lifeboats - is it really supposed to be stern first in the davits? Would be very very unusual, but then, welcome to the world of research ships..
Superb build by the way, love the choppers - that I find daunting!!
Regards,
Alan
Ah yes. The work boat. Well......just so happens that the starboard side crane, in its proper resting position, intervers with the deck house of the work boat. So I placed stern first. This kit was quirky.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.29 MB
Cool

Nice ship model!

I would be on board if was in the Arctic or Antarctica. The oceans around Antarctica are rough.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachead View Post
Ah yes. The work boat. Well......just so happens that the starboard side crane, in its proper resting position, intervers with the deck house of the work boat. So I placed stern first. This kit was quirky.
I had a look through a good few pics of Polarstern, fortunately there are many of such a unique ship. It seems to me that the inner boom of the crane rests at a higher angle when secured in the crutch and also the outer boom rests in its own crutch, both these crutches (or supports, rests as you prefer) lift the head of the crane up and apparently inboard (towards the middle of the ship).
I'm interested to know about this hiccup since I will build my own at some point.

Also on the topic, Polarsterns stbd lifeboats and port for'd lifeboat have been changed out fairly recently. In addition, the port aft lifeboat always seems to be larger and in a larger davit too, when compared to the other 3. Around this time the port aft lifeboat seems to have been exchanged for the workboat. Stranger still, the kit seems to have the original 3 lifeboats and yet has the new workboat?! (Or, so it seems!)

Hope this helps..

Alan
Old 02-01-2021, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
I'm interested to know about this hiccup since I will build my own at some point.

Hope this helps..

Alan
The cranes all go together ok however, they need to be built as sub-units. The parts that act as the pistons and guide rods can only reach so far. That dictates the angle of the booms. The "pistons" could be cut shorter - could have made a difference.

As for the type of ship boats, I'm fairly certain the models boats are the original load out when first commissioned. You'll also see some big changes to the forward mast equipement and radio/radar gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-26-mid-crane-boom.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-27-mid-crane.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-28-mid-crane.jpg  
Old 02-02-2021, 11:19 AM

Hello all,
Thought the attached might be helpful in model building..
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-workboat.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-old-new.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-port-lifeboats-new-crane-stowed.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-lifeboats-old-crane.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-crane-5.jpg  

Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-crane-stowed-3.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-crane-graphic-2.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-crane-graphic.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-crane-crutch.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-crane-outstretched.jpg  

Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-lifeboats-new-2.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-crane-stowed-2.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-stbd-lifeboats-new.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-polarstern-crane-stowed.jpg