PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-29-2020, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)

This is great looking ship, with all of its cranes and booms. At over 18.5 inches (47cm), its a good size to show them off.

However, I've not ever had a more frustrating build. I don't mind the hand drawn plans, etc, but some numbers seem to be off. In addition, the fit has given me fits. I'm no expert at building but there have been way too many problems for it to be just me. And finally, the plan only shows the starboard side and a lot of the details are lost because of the small size of the drawings used to show the build. Enough whinning.

Yes I still love the build and all being said, I'd still recommend it. Or am I just wrong and it is me? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-20200927_103801.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-20200929_092433.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-20201028_195753.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-20201028_195813.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-starboard-side.jpg  

Old 11-29-2020, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you for sharing!

These may help:

In particular this one

https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/thema...-whv/?pageNo=1

https://www.die-kartonmodellbauer.de...ern-1-250-whv/

https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/thema...?postID=531420
Old 11-29-2020, 05:53 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
You are an experience builder.
Your evaluation should be taken seriously.

Last edited by Michael Mash; 11-29-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Hi Greg,
Delighted you’re building this as I have it too and keen to try soon. Would be great if you let us know where things don’t fit, then at least we have a heads up about it.
Question: do you secure the keel plate to the board the prevent it from warping?

Regards,
Alan
Old 11-30-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Hi Greg,
Delighted you’re building this as I have it too and keen to try soon. Would be great if you let us know where things don’t fit, then at least we have a heads up about it.
Question: do you secure the keel plate to the board the prevent it from warping?

Regards,
Alan
Yes, I taped down the edges and once the ribs and keel are laid, I carefully remove the tape. I'll take a picture of one of the more visible problems I had.

Can you see the cut lines on the deck, below the small deck with the MVW logo on it? That deck was one whole piece. However, I hard as I tried, I could not get it to fit fore to aft. I cut it into three sections and was left with these gaps. The second pic shows the problem on the forward that I couldn't adjust. Its not bad, I can live with it.

Again, I do like the build challenges, just not ones of fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-upper-deck-1.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-upper-deck-2.jpg  
Old 11-30-2020, 11:13 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
Thank you for sharing!

These may help:

In particular this one

https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/thema...?postID=531420
AWESOME....thank you.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.09 MB
Hello Greg,

you´re POLARSTERN looks quite good so far. It was often said that this model isn´t easy to build in german forums and I wish you all the best. The result will be great!

Another modeler, much better skilled than I am, currently finished the POLARSTERN, see here. One of the critical points he mentioned was that the weak paper is a problem if you have one of the elder prints. He doubled basis and framework and recommended to better build a copy on paper with a modern standard.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to you´re build and I think you´ll get a fine model of it.

I´ve seen her a few weeks ago when she came back from the mosaic expedition to Bremerhaven in the morning sun...

Best regards, Nils
Attached Thumbnails
Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-rueckkehr-polarstern-002.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-rueckkehr-polarstern-003.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-rueckkehr-polarstern-004.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-rueckkehr-polarstern-024.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-rueckkehr-polarstern-030.jpg  

Old 11-30-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Light View Post
Hello Greg,

you´re POLARSTERN looks quite good so far. It was often said that this model isn´t easy to build in german forums and I wish you all the best. The result will be great!

I´ve seen her a few weeks ago when she came back from the mosaic expedition to Bremerhaven in the morning sun...

Best regards, Nils
Thanks, Nils. And your pictures are great. They show it's a good sized ship.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.09 MB
Awesome subject ship, looks like a beautiful beginning, in spite of the problems you have encountered. Looking forward to seeing her progress
Old 12-06-2020, 07:21 PM

Here are a few updated pictures. The build is going well. Still running into problems with being able to interpret the drawings with the parts being put together and placement. So it's a bit slow but I don't think there have been any gaffs.
Attached Thumbnails
Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-13-platform.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-12-platform.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-11-booms.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-14-plans.jpg   Polarstern (Wilhelmshaven)-15-ships-boats-1.jpg