PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-13-2021, 04:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
WW2 US Ocean Going Diesel tug Design V4-M-A1

From wikipedia:

"....The V4-M-A1 was the largest and most powerful tugs in the world when they were built. Each was named after lighthouses, built in 1943. Steel hull, 1,613 tons, 195 foot long, beam 37.5 foot, draft 15.5 foot. Max. speed 14 knots. There were two engine manufacturers: National Supply Company, with 8-cylinder sets of 3,200 bhp and the Enterprise Engine & Trading Company with 6 cylinders and 2,340 bhp power. The V4s operated by Moran Towing & Transportation in New York on behalf of the War Shipping Administration. Built by: Avondale Marine in Westego, LA, General Ships & Engine in East Boston, MA, Pennsylvania Shipbuilding in Beaumont, TX, Globe Shipbuilding in Superior, WI, Froemming Brothers in Milwaukee, WI, Pendleton Shipbuilding in New Orleans, LA...."

It is said the US Maritime Commission had these designs made after a close inspection of the famous Dutch Ocean going tug "Zwarte Zee" (1933) when it had entered a US port. (see this wiki article about the "Zwarte Zee" (in Dutch only, so you'll have to translate)
The intention was to make the US towing companies more competitive with European companies after WW2

Visit this page for scans from microfilm of the design drawings for a V4-M-A1 tug. About 454 drawings available for free and legal download. Includes linesplan, formplan, deckplan and so much more. You will have to do some editing, as the scans are so large, that you wil need to "digitally" glue them together to get full sheets

A sample:

I think this will do for this moment, but this is only the beginning, so if you're looking for something particular, please let me know

Last edited by Foute Man; 01-13-2021 at 04:41 AM. Reason: typos & grammar
Old 01-13-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decaturbeginner View Post
Hello, not sure if you are after a specific tugboat or not, but The German Shipping Museum's online library of docs may interest you:
DigiPEER: StartseiteDigiPEER: Startseite

It's a wonderful resource. Hope all's well by you
This is a great website indeed, there is a difference between the images for the pre-1945 ships and post-1945 ships. Post-1945 ships can be viewed as thumbnail and a larger image. Pre-1945 drawings can be viewed as thumbnail, a larger image, and can be zoomed in, so you will see tiles from a mosaic. Downloading all the tiles and glueing them together will take a lot of time, but it can be done if you're very patient

With a special tool called "Digipeer Downloader" you can down download all the tiles and have them glued together automaticly, so at the end you'll have full sized scans. As said, the tool only works for the pre-1945 ships.

The tool should be available on the internet, if not, send me a pm

Sample: this is a randomly choosen tugboat as you can download it straight away

this is a 940 x 686 image (83 Kb), the image downloaded with "Digipeer Downloader" measures 3841 x 2817 (12,9 Mb)

Last edited by Foute Man; 01-13-2021 at 04:31 AM. Reason: typos & grammar
Old 03-20-2023, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Digipeer downloader

Dear Sir,
I am searching the "Digipeer downloader", in Internet I didn't find it,
where You recommend to search?
Many thanks.
P.S. Wonderful work at archive.org!!!
Old 04-17-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuccpapermodel View Post
Dear Sir,
I am searching the "Digipeer downloader", in Internet I didn't find it,
where You recommend to search?
Many thanks.
P.S. Wonderful work at archive.org!!!
Apologies for the late reply. I do not visit this forum that much anymore, and I post even less.
The Digipeer download tool is hard to find indeed. Found it on a Russian Modellersforum a few years ago. It was written by Petr Osipov. I've attached the zipfile.

Extract all files to a single folder and run the program. Instructions are included in a doc file, you'll have to translate the file yourself in google translate....

but the whole process is not rocket science

Thanks for the compliment about the Ship Design Drawings collection on the Webarchive. At the moment the counter is on 1058 sets of drawings, including some Dutch and British WW2 era tugboats

I created a special page on Facebook for this collection, so for the latest uploads, just follow me on Facebook

groetuh!!!!

PS: Contact me either via PM on Facebook, or send me a PM here on this forum, I should still recieve the notifications
Attached Files
File Type: zip DigiPeerDownloader 1.0.zip (1.04 MB, 1 views)
Old 04-18-2023, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ok!!!

Many thanks!!!
Google Adsense