PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-09-2021, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
Don,

The Fallen Timbers build was submitted to the Ship Modelers Association Newsletter editor at his request. I included your research notes. Thank you. Remember I am an airplane guy and know next to nothing about ships other than I get really sick flopping about in terrible seas aboard a troop ship (Breckenridge two smoke stacks)1957. We made a rescue in heavy seas requiring rough navigating and with props coming out of the water even though we were heavily loaded. Those Breckenridge sailors in a tiny boat kept disappearing yet were able to transfer a sailor from his Norwegian freighter to the doctor on our troop transport. The David Shanks had only one stack, I had doubts of seeing home again, however, the return trip from Korea was pleasant and happy.

Bob
Old 02-09-2021, 05:50 PM

SCEtoAUX

Doug,

I had no idea what an Oiler was until hearing a presentation by one of your fellow shipmates. He was on the USS Nemasket WWII. Uppermost is the memory he implanted. Barney Leon and his buddies stood at the rail waving good luck to Marines as they passed underway on their approach to the Iwo Jima shore that was only a few hundred yards away. The marines did not look up or wave. They lined up shoulder to shoulder one behind the other rifles held at presentation facing forward. This thought kept recurring during my build.

Bob
Old 02-09-2021, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 291.90 MB
I recently started work on the Fallen Timbers also. I noticed there were no tabs to join sides to deck and base. Did you make tabs or just line everything up? Nice build by the way.

Rich
Old 02-09-2021, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Nice work on Wayne's T-2, Bob!

Incidentally, USMC Fallen Timbers (Maritime Commission Hull Number 803) was built at the Kaiser Swan Island Shipyard in Portland, Oregon, was launched on 21 April 1943 and completed in May of 1943.

There is a lot of information about the U.S. Maritime Commission T-2 tankers is available at T2 Tanker Page

Images of Fallen Timbers and its subsequent manifestations are at Fallen Timbers

A lot of T-2s were named after American battles. The Battle of Fallen Timbers was the last battle of the Northwest Indian Wars and was fought on 20 August 1794. Soldiers of the Legion of the United States (as the U.S. Regular Army was known at that time) commanded by General Anthony Wayne and the Kentucky Militia commanded by General Charles Scott defeated a combined force of Shawnee, Ottawa, and other Native American warriors near the Maumee River in Ohio. Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

I'm looking forward to your next build, Bob.

Don
The name T2 is the name for a category of tankers built by/for the USMC and also the name of the first design in that category. An example of a "true" T2 tanker is the SS Corsicana, built in 1940/1941 and taken over by the US Navy as AO-36 USS Kennebec

Fallen Timbers is from another design in the T2 category, T2-SE-A1. The most important differences are the dimensions (SS Corsicana measured about 150 meter over all (501 feet), Fallen Timbers was nearly 10 meters longer, 159 meter.
Fallen Timbers' powerplant (steam electro) differed from SS Corsicana (steam turbine). SS Corsicana was 1,5 knots faster than Fallen Timbers

In total 533 tankers in the category T2 were built, and from that number 481 were built to the T2-SE-A1 design
Old 02-09-2021, 08:31 PM

Ship Dad

Howdy Rich,

My build photos may be seen on Free Model Contest #6.

Yes , tabs had to be added.

Have fun,

BP
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2021, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Very nice. I really do appreciate seeing one of my designs being built well and shown off.
Wayne
Old 02-09-2021, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Ooops! I dunno what happened to the hull tabs on several of my T2 models. I just checked my CAD drawings and the tabs are there. I'm not sure how I deleted them from the final models. I will see about correcting this and re-issuing the models.
Wayne
Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 PM

Wayne,

Thank you for making all this possible.

Bob
Old 02-09-2021, 10:51 PM

Rich,

These two in-process photos should be helpful.
I used wire.

BP
Attached Thumbnails
Fallen Timbers US Navy oiler-20.jpg   Fallen Timbers US Navy oiler-21.jpg  
Old 02-10-2021, 04:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 484.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklein View Post
Very nice indeed, for me it would have to be double the scale to build though.I'm too old and shaky.
I'll have to advertise myself a bit :-D If you want a bigger scale, I redesigned all 4 tankers from Wayne to 1/400 and you can download them from my catalog ;-). Otherwise, once again I have to pay tribute to the author - I consider his ship designs to be excellent!

Catalogue of my models
Google Adsense