PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-15-2021, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.79 MB
Kit bashing – HMAS Sydney

G’day from Down Under! There are very few card modellers in Australia, but isolation sometimes leads to innovation, so I thought I might open a discussion on the topic of kit bashing – making a model that has deliberate and purposeful variations from the kit that was supplied – and see where that discussion leads.
Kit bashing requires a spare parts box. Mine comes from using my home office equipment to scan model pages in 1/200 scale in order to re-print at 80% to match my existing 1/250 scale fleet. As well as changing the scale, that enables me to adjust any crude colouring on some of the older kits (e.g. yellow decks - ugh!) and create an unlimited supply of spare parts!
As a specific example, the model kit for HMAS Sydney published in the Ukraine is a “must build” for any Australian modeller (or indeed anyone else who wants a Leander class cruiser in a 1941 Mediterranean colour scheme.)
The misspelt name on the front cover was a bit of a worry, but almost every other aspect of the kit is beautifully accurate. However a comparison with black and white newspaper photographs of the Sydney when it returned to its namesake port from the Mediterranean in 1941 confirmed the overall camouflage pattern but disclosed some small errors – the need to extend a dark blue diagonal across the front of the bridge structure and sides of the AA gun platforms (readily fixed with water colour paint) - and the fact that X turret should be dark blue on a timber deck, not light grey on a blue deck as supplied.
The turret problem might have been fixed with a paint job, but that would have destroyed the original card model texture and printed detail. My solution was to print an extra copy of B turret (blue) and the forward shelter deck and fit that into the X turret position.
Also, the Walrus aircraft was coloured too dark for the RAF and needed to be re-coloured light grey and green in a paint shop program on my computer. These changes were only possible because I was working with scanned copies and not cutting up the original kit.
Portholes and skylights were drilled or cut out and filled from the back with some clear nail polish – a trick I saw practised by a modeller of passenger aircraft. Weathering effects were simulated by applying a little ground up coloured chalk with a dry brush. My objective was to make the necessary colour changes whilst preserving the texture and printed detail that can make a card model stand out from its plastic neighbours.
Attached Thumbnails
-p1020495.jpg   -p1010691.jpg   -p1010686.jpg   -p1010690.jpg   -hmas_sydney_at_circular_quay.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2021, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
Kit bashing – HMAS Sydney

That is a beautiful model!

I am fascinated to find you doing so many things that are similar to my own practises. Last year I built a model of the Imperial Russian Navy's monitor Uragan by re-colouring and modifying a Magnus Morck kit for the United States monitor Lehigh and currently I am building the Royal Prussian Navy ironclad Prinz Adalbert from a Heinkel Models kit for the Confederate Navy ram Stonewall which required scaling down from 1:200 to 1:250, re-colouring, and modifying details. One of my upcoming projects is the British destroyer Griffon when serving with the Mediterranean Fleet in 1898. I am using the Orel Models kit for the Laird-built Russian destroyer Boyevoy scaled down from 1:200 to 1:250, the upper works above the sheerline re-coloured 'Admiralty Colour' (buff), and details changed to match the As Fitted drawings I have from the National Maritime Museum (the kit offers the option of a white hull, which is what I need).

I am interested to hear that there are very few card modellers in Australia since I notice that Fentens - the publisher of what might be considered the 'Rolls-Royces' of 1:250 scale card ship models under the HMV label - has opened a retail outlet there, which, as far as I know, is the publisher's only operation outside Germany.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
-uragan-1.jpg   -prinz-55.jpg  
Old 03-16-2021, 05:45 AM

Hi Maurice,
Glad to find someone else who is experimenting with the medium. I'm completely sold on card models - I've found them much more robust than plastic and the available range is huge. I've been able to focus on my particular interest in pre-dreadnoughts and am running out of display cabinet space at home.
Ben Fenten is based in Brisbane about 2,000 km North of Melbourne, where I live. I met him when he set up stand at our annual Model Expo a couple of years ago and a few of us bought lots of items that were on our respective wish lists. However he has remained up North since then so I guess there weren't enough customers down South. I notice that he has introduced a couple of Australian lighthouses into the HMV model range, but no Aussie ships.
- Ron
Old 03-17-2021, 12:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 223.11 MB
Smile Waratah

Funny you mention about no Australian ships as Fentens have just released the tug Waratah based in Sydney ,another one for the stash ,never have too many:
Old 03-17-2021, 02:02 AM

Waratah

My apologies to Ben Fenten! Must check it out
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2021, 02:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hello "roncar" I am writing to you from Spain. By the way "roncar" in Spanish means "snore". I really like your model, with the "asymmetric" camouflage designed to make it difficult for the enemy to identify the ship and the range of colors that you have given it, as well as the extremely careful execution, make it the boat of this type. that really attracts me. Well, as a sample of Australian modelers, you present yourself as one of the best. I love Australia. A very warm greeting
Old 03-17-2021, 03:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
A great result, she looks great.