PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 06-26-2021, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Clean build. This will be a nice model once done. A pre-computer designed gem.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Hello,

Thanks, I continue to be amazed at how such a large kit was designed in the days before computers, and how well all the parts fit together. They were true craftsmen!

Here are several more small decks for the starboad side of the hull. Some of them served to remind me of earlier alignment problems I incurred on the side panels, and I had to do some adjustments to make these decks fit where they were supposed to. Nothing too serious, though.

Once again, I'm glad the elevators can be moved.

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1696.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1705.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1707.jpg  
Old 07-06-2021, 09:31 AM

Hello,

I ran into some trouble with hidden interior frame for the starboard forward gun deck, so I changed sequence for its twin on the port side. The problem is Part 65c in the photo. For the starboard side, I glued it into the gun deck assembly prior to attaching the assembly to the ship. I must have had it clocked slightly wrong, or located too far forward, because it would not allow the deck to fit properly against the hull. So I took a scissors and cut up the frame (rather than tear it back off). The starboard deck looks fine without that interior frame.

For the port side, I glued the 65c interior frame to the hull before attaching the deck assembly. This worked very well.

When I attached the deck assembly (on both sides) I first glued the front nearly-vertical tabs since it was quite difficult to hold all the sides in place at the same time. The rest went on easily.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1710.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1712.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1713.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1714.jpg  

Last edited by BigGiraffe; 07-06-2021 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Correct some wording
Old 07-07-2021, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.93 MB
Maybe the pictures can help you.
Greetings
Adolf Pirling
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-bau-133-web.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-bau-140-web.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-bau-141-web.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-bau-165-web.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-bau-166-web.jpg  

Old 07-07-2021, 05:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
I wonder if this has green decks because British Aircraft carriers did.
Cheers, Bob
Google Adsense
Old 07-07-2021, 07:34 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
I wonder if this has green decks because British Aircraft carriers did.
Cheers, Bob
The Firestal, had a gray/grey deck, and from the times I have visited the Midway Carrier Museum in San Diego, I want to say the hangar deck was either light gray or blue
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-08-2021, 03:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
What I meant to imply was that Wilhelmshaven designers may have thought it was
green like the British carriers.
Cheers
, Bob
Old 07-09-2021, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 854.80 MB
Send a message via AIM to cwiokster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
What I meant to imply was that Wilhelmshaven designers may have thought it was
green like the British carriers.
Cheers
, Bob
We understood, or at least I did. I've always thought that was the reason.

Regards, Jeff C.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:12 PM

Hello,

That is interesting you can remember those part numbers long after building the ship! And, that you used the realistic railings. Thank you for the photos, Mr. Pirling.

I've started on the catwalks. The first thing I noticed was these little slivers, labeled as "A" on the model, that are meant to be placed about 1/4" apart on the outer side of the catwalk walls. Not only are they tiny, but they are to be doubled in thickness. Sorry, but those are not going to happen on my model.

The catwalks hold many boxes and fire hose reels. I'm going to make those smaller parts as I need them, one catwalk section at a time.

The first section went up more easily than I expected.

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1715.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1716.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1717.jpg  
Old 07-19-2021, 09:59 AM

Hello,

Now the catwalks on the one side of the ship are done. The sections went up pretty easily, except for the aft-most one. Earlier I created a misalignment at the adjacent elevator support, so I had to make adjustments to that catwalk assembly to compensate. All fit problems come back to haunt you later, right?

I also had to mount the two lifting booms since the catwalks fit over their housings. I was delaying that because now I'll have to be careful not to snag the booms while working. The booms are moveable, by the way.

But anyway, onward to the other side...

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1718.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1719.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1720.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1737.jpg  
Google Adsense