PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-06-2021, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.40 GB
well, an aircraft carrier is the most complex machine. Nice siting for the air controllers.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good Evening,

Now there are two more levels of windows for the Air Traffic Controllers, this time on the forward end of the island.

The inboard wall of the island angles in to get around the mast (seen in the first photo, to the right of the blue windows). The corners of this cutout tend to flatten out since neither the bottom nor the top of this wall are attached to anything right now. However, I needed these walls to remain perpendicular so that the new window rows could be attached with the best alignment. To fix this, I added some "tension straps" inside the structure, shown in the second photo, to pull the corners back to 90 degrees. These are simply strips of card I cut from the margin of one sheet. First I glued one onto the wall and let it dry, and then glued the other end onto the cutout while pulling the corner to perpendicular. It worked pretty well, I think, and only took a couple of minutes.

Next, the deck above these windows is assembled (Part 10 group).

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1882.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1878.jpg  
Old 09-11-2021, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.65 MB
Kurt, thats a clever idea|
Old 09-14-2021, 08:15 AM

Good Morning,

Thanks, I first used those tension straps on castle sections and found them to be quite useful.

Well, amazingly enough (to me), I've finished cutting out and assembling parts. All that is left is to put the island onto the deck, add a few final details that are already made, final check and touch-up, and set the airplanes out.

One thing about the much-maligned tendency of Tacky Glue (or any water-based glue) to soften or warp the paper... We are going to use that quality to our advantage on the flag. I used the toothpick to lightly coat both inner surfaces of the flag, then pressed the sides together, as normal. Now, while it was still wet, I bent the flag back and forth, working from the base to the outer edge, to give the rippled look. It's much easier and looks better than doing it when the glue is all dry.

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1883.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1884.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1886.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1888.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1889.jpg  

Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.40 GB
I do appreciate a realistic flying flag.
There is nothing worst than to see a well detailed ship with perfectly rectangular/square flags!
Login to remove ads
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Hello,

I worked out how to fly the flag without rigging the lines. (There is no information on rigging with the ship, and also I have more and more trouble aligning thread because my depth perception isn't what it used to be.)

First I cut a thin strip of card from the excess in the kit, coloring it black with a felt pen. Then bend it so the flag will hang the desired distance below the bend and glue the flag to the strip. Finally, trim the other leg of the strip to the right length and glue it beneath the arm on the mast.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1891.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1892.jpg   1/250 USS Forrestal aircraft carrier (Wilhelmshaven)-img_1918.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 837.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cwiokster
Nice touch with the flag. I started doing the ripples back in the 70s. After awhile, I figured out how to delaminate the thicker flags to get a more cloth like thickness. At any rate, much better than the "sheet of plywood" flags, which are seen more often than you'd think!

regards,
Jeff C.