PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Calling all Unterseeboot Commanders

I have thrown my hat into the ring, and started the north sea camo repaint of the type VII C U-boat....Ive completed the 1st 3 stages of bulkhead assy, and was wondering, how everyone was going to attack the skinning ?
Build each section and skin ?, or join all sections then Skin, Ive started skinning but just the very front of the bow section.
Was just curious what everyone's take is about the skinning...
Thanks....Craig:D
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Have not started skinning yet.

I am going to complete all the former sections, think there's 5 total, before moving on to skinning.

Someone else tried attaching all the former sub-sections together, then skinning. It apparently didn't work out and he restarted the build.

Regardless, joining al the sections would make for an unwieldly thing to be handling when skinning. There's no magic, it will be a lot of adjusting in small increments for a fine fit.

My biggest skinning concern is color. I want to print out all color pages at the same time when print conditions will be constant. One day to the next (or week) could result in some color shift.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
ooooh goody!!

another one to watch!!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 AM

I have the front section/frame built. I did try a conventional ship framing, frame the hull as one piece, however, as designed, it is best to build in sections. I too will build the frame in sections, all of them and cover/align ea. section as I go. I have studied many times the process and there can be a mismatch if you are not careful. This is a grand sub but does take some study to pull off. This is interesting that three are going @ same time. Between us, there should be no surprises. I look forward to seeing your post f18fixer.:DRick
Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Progress

Well here is my progress so far...Its going along pretty good, the frame work is going rather quick thanks to CA glue..Ive completed the 4th section.
I guess the way to go at it as far as skinning goes is to skin each section and then put them together.
I was also thinking that I might put 2 sections together and skin them together, well Ill think about it, anyway here are some progress pictures.
Later....Craig:D
Attached Thumbnails
Calling all Unterseeboot Commanders-img_0150.jpg   Calling all Unterseeboot Commanders-img_0151.jpg   Calling all Unterseeboot Commanders-img_0152.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
oh wow...would ya look at that!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looking fine, Craig. How did the skinning go? Well I hope.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM

So Far no problems, but that is an awful lot of area to skin....The easy part is building the bulkheads, my progress will start to slow as these next section are completed and I start skinning them.
But the front section was not bad at all.
Later.....Craig
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Looks great, I am building the second frame, and after seeing your front frame covered, I am juiced to cover as well. I am leaving Saturday f/Bristol, Tenn. f/race, but when I return, I plan to cover the front frame. Hope I can do as good a job as you did. Looking forward to your next post. Rick:D
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Update

Well Ive started to skin the second section and I got so jazzed about how it looked, I just had to go out of order on the instructions, so I added the deck to the first and second sections and this is how it came out.....
I'm pretty happy considering Ive been building paper models for about 6 months now.
Later...Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Calling all Unterseeboot Commanders-img_0153.jpg   Calling all Unterseeboot Commanders-img_0154.jpg  
Google Adsense