PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 08-14-2021, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.90 MB
JSC Jahre Viking

Hi Everyone,

I am not new to this excellent site, I have been following your expert builds and your advice for years, and thank you for that. I have decided to get in the game! Yes, I have built scratch models before using polystyrene, wood, etc but not paper. Geographically I live in Peekskill NY, USA.

Years ago, I requested, in writing, General Arrangement, Capacity, and Midship Section plan from the Owner for the ship I wanted to build, and from those, I built my model. The plans you get are large! Usually 1:200 or 1:250 scale. Not sure you can do that anymore but most shipowners are sympathetic towards model builders.

So my new project is to build a complete model of the "Jahre Viking". I see that several of you started the model from JSC and abandoned it for various reasons. Our esteemed member Jim Bean got as close to completion as anybody else.

So why this ship? It is not only the largest ship ever constructed, I visited the ship in France. For most of my career, I was a Shipbroker and I was visiting a fellow broker in Le Havre. My contact asked if I was interested to see the ship, which was due the next day. So we drove up to Antifer which is a super deepwater oil terminal and part of the Le Havre port.

I don't think I can adequately describe my first impression. The ship was absolutely enormous. The first officer treated us to a tour. Everything on deck was on a different scale than I have ever seen before.

So, the way I approach any new project is to buy everything I need. This actually motivates me to get started.

I have the 1:400 JSC version with all the Brass Etch detail packages. I know there is a 1:250 version available from Scaldis but it's just too big for me to display. I also purchased the following:
1:400 2 rail etched rail set from HobbyistHaven x 2 (Probably not enough),
1:400 assorted accommodation ladders also from HobbyistHaven,
Polystyrene solid pipe from Evergreen in the correct diameters.

Amazon sold me:
A perfect set of different Exacto Blades with 3 holders and a nice wooden box.
Set of tweezers with different tips.
Super pair of precision scissors.
Several different size steel rulers and a template form for round cuts etc.
I got all the glues I need from my local hobby store (UhU, Super Glue, Elmers, etc)
An etch bending tool from HobbyistHaven.
A hot-air electric heating tool that will help bend the polystyrene pipes.
A set of 'pencils' that are tacky for the small parts.

Most of you have all this stuff, but I am starting from scratch. I am not retired even though I am 67, my process may be slow since I work full time for Subaru and my hours are long. I would love to get some feedback on how to post pictures on the website. I just have my iPhone, no other cameras. Do I need to buy something?

Thank you for all of your support. Kudos to those who keep this site a pleasure to visit. Thank you.

Peter
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2021, 08:24 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Hey Peter,

Thanks for sticking with us all these years.

Check out this thread I created on how to post pictures to a thread/post, you will be able to post pictures from your iPhone, as I think I used my iPod touch from a few years ago to add the mobile upload directions How To: post pictures to a thread

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-15-2021, 02:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Looking forward to your build!
Old 08-15-2021, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.29 MB
Cool

I awaiting seeing the model.

The Jahre Viking went by different names: Oppama, Seawise Giant, Happy Giant, Jahre Viking, Knock Nevis, and Mont. It is the largest ship in terms of length.

Seawise Giant - Wikipedia
Old 08-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
I look forward to watching your build!
Best regards,
Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2021, 04:31 PM

Thank you for your info Rick and for the expectation and support from all my fellow members.

All the ordered tools arrived today so I am laying down the 'keel'. I will try to post an image of my build regularly. I work long hours so please don't expect regular updates.

The really great thing about this ship is that there are hundreds of photos and videos on the internet. There is even a video of a crew member walking the deck!

I am new to this paper medium so I start this project with some trepidation…..
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Jahre Viking-img_1088.jpg   JSC Jahre Viking-img_1089.jpg   JSC Jahre Viking-img_1090.jpg  
Old 08-22-2021, 05:33 PM

Hi all

Made some good progress on the tanker today. I have just the stern section to make and the hull will be ready for assembly. Lots of scoring is needed!

This model seems extremely well designed. I will post again when the hull frames are complete.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Jahre Viking-img_1097.jpg  
Old 08-28-2021, 09:48 PM

Hi

Some more progress. The hull frame is done so now we work on the skin. I just overlayed the deck parts (3rd photo) to see how it all fits. I am a little apprehensive that the smallest gap in creating the frame is going to create some gaps in the skin. I tried had to get the joints as close as possible. We will see...

All tankers have a cambered deck, all ships share, Tankers have an additional camber for most of their length, the place where the deck meets the hull is curved. Simple reason. They sit deeply drafted when loaded and the sea often washes over the decks. The rounded deck edges allow the wash to sluice off.
JSC has created all these features and I need to make sure I get these right.

Overall, as a newbie to paper, this level 4 difficulty build has been first-class and not too scary! The bow and stern sections need some serious attention from the builder. I made a few mistakes but I figured out a solution/workaround. The build instructions have been overall excellent.

I think I have figured out the glue hierarchy!

Gorilla Super Glue
Dries instantly. Useless for anything but laser cuts and tiny parts.

Scotch Multi-Purpose (probably similar to UHU)
Dries in 20 seconds. Bonds immediately but you can maneuver.

Elmers Stronger Formula
Great for large areas. A little more time for maneuvers but bonds in about
45 seconds.

Alleen's Tacky Glue
No idea where I got this but it works and it takes over a minute to bond. Very maneuverable which tests my patience a bit. May be useful.

Sunday off tomorrow so more progress hopefully.

I am enjoying becoming a paper modeler!

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Jahre Viking-img_1103.jpg   JSC Jahre Viking-img_1104.jpg   JSC Jahre Viking-img_1105.jpg  
Old 08-29-2021, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Hi Peter,

Looking impressive already! I enjoy working the structure such as what you are doing now. Making solutions/workarounds for our little misalignments is pretty much a standard part of the hobby, I think... At least, it is for ME!

By the way, I use Aleene's Tacky Glue almost exclusively. I tried some UHU glue on my current kit but I'm so used to Aleene's that it was hard to change technique (parts have to be held in place for awhile with UHU). I'll probably use UHU for long joints that are prone to warping, in the future, but Aleene's will remain my main glue -- I'm too set in my ways.

Best regards,
Kurt
Old 08-29-2021, 05:44 PM

Hi All

Thank you Kurt for your input. I decided to use Elmers for the deck just because it's easier to apply. Sparingly is the word because it can warp the paper using too much.

As I had anticipated the deck was too short for the base hull. Just a few centimeters. So as the instructions mention, I had to cut my model in half and reduce the size of the hull. Like cutting your own arm off! Bite the bullet. It worked out fine!

I will work to improve the photos. I have an idea to stage it.

I got bored with all the big pieces so I started on some of the deck detail.

I need to find some deck-colored paint since there are some card edges that need to be fixed.

Overall I am happy with the result. The bow and stern came together nicely.

The raised deck was a result of the builders being concerned that the lengthening (or jumboizing) could contribute to the sagging and hogging of the ship at sea so they built this massive structure on deck to help. Remember nobody had constructed a ship of this size before.

OMG, the small bits are tiny! I purchased magnifying glasses which are going to be very handy!

Until next time..Thank you for participating.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
JSC Jahre Viking-img_1106.jpg   JSC Jahre Viking-img_1107.jpg   JSC Jahre Viking-img_1109.jpg   JSC Jahre Viking-img_1110.jpg  
Google Adsense