PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-25-2021, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Foute Man,

"One of the Armitage McCann plans I could recommend is a 1/192 model of the USS Texas, published in 5 parts between november 1932 and march 1933 in Popular Science. There's also a 5 part article on how to make Clemson class DD USS Preston (published between december 1930 and april 1931)"

I would like a full set of the USS Texas articles/drawings. I found only a couple of them on the website.
Wayne
Old 11-25-2021, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
BB-35 USS Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemac View Post
I would like a full set of the USS Texas articles/drawings. I found only a couple of them on the website.
Wayne
I hope I've uploaded them all
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-001.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-002.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-003.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-004.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-005.jpg  

Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-006.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-007.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-008.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-009.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-010.jpg  

Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-011.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-012.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-013.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-bb-35-popular_science-014.jpg  
Old 11-25-2021, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
This is real treasure!
Old 11-25-2021, 11:26 AM

Another "famous" set of drawings, published in Popular Mechanics in 1952/1953, was that of the SS United States.
I found a thread about this set of plans here on Papermodelers, with links to the issues of Popular Mechanic with the plans in this post

Attached are the drawings for the Clemson class destroyer DD-327 USS Preston, published between december 1930 and april 1931. The scale is a bit odd, 1/10 inch equals 1 feet = 1/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
Even if one never actually builds any models from these plans, just spending time looking and soaking up the nostalgia is pure joy in itself.
It's indeed great fun to browse the magazines and to view the drawings, not only of the models, but all other hobby projects.
I can imagine that for the "modern modeler", with computer, 2D and 3D software, printer, lasercutter and all other tools available, these models aren't accurate or detailed enough. But imho these drawings are gems, as you've said, soaking up the nostalgia is pure joy in itself....
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-101.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-102.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-103.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-201.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-202.jpg  

Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-203.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-301.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-302.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-303.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-401.jpg  

Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-402.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-403.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-404.jpg   Vintage shipplans from Popular Science magazine and Popular Mechanics magazine-uss_preston-501.jpg  
Old 11-25-2021, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are wonderful articles.

I very much appreciate your posting them.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 11-25-2021, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Foute Man,
Many thanks. I see that #5 is really lo-res (40KB) whereas #6 is hi-res (2348KB). Would it possible to get #5 in hi-res, too? The two pages with the hull lines are fine as-is.

I also have the full set of drawings from Floating Drydock. Cpt. McCann's drawings are better for my purposes, as the FD drawings have some inconsistencies. I can still use the FD drawings for some of the details.
Wayne
Old 11-26-2021, 12:14 AM

USS Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemac View Post
Foute Man,
Many thanks. I see that #5 is really lo-res (40KB) whereas #6 is hi-res (2348KB). Would it possible to get #5 in hi-res, too? The two pages with the hull lines are fine as-is.

I also have the full set of drawings from Floating Drydock. Cpt. McCann's drawings are better for my purposes, as the FD drawings have some inconsistencies. I can still use the FD drawings for some of the details.
Wayne
I see what went wrong, because I get the same error again as when I was uploading nr 5 & 6 earlier this evening/night: the images got shrunk (if that's the expression in english) automaticly.
Archived the images, so see attached zipfile. I archived the files in winrar, but the rar extension has been changed into .zip to be able to upload them here on this forum (.rar is not in the list of accepted fileformats). If you have problems opening the archive, just change the extension back into .rar

Hope it suits your purposes, you've made me a kind of curious

groetuh uit Den Haag

FM

PS: You've got a PM
Attached Files
File Type: zip bb-35 uss texas.rar.zip (3.54 MB, 18 views)

Tags
popular mechanics;vintage, popular sciense, ship plans