PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-26-2022, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Paper vs Plastic

I started with this Renova model over six years ago on this forum. In the intervening years, it suffered damage, competed in numerous IPMS/USA contests throughout the SE, placed in every contest all the way to First and even a Best in Show....all against plastic models.

Most recently, the Hunley placed first in its class at the IPMS/USA National Convention in Las Vegas.

I have seen quite a few paper models over the years at local IPMS/USA contests. Most don't fare well against their plastic counterparts due to a number of limitations inherent to the paper model hobby.

On the other hand, naval subjects, armor/AFV, and Manga subjects are uniquely suited to compete because of the limited use of compound curves.

Check out your local IPMS/USA Chapter, (ipmsusa.org) and learn how to turn your paper model into a masterpiece!
Attached Thumbnails
Paper vs Plastic-hunley-small.jpg  
Old 03-01-2022, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
I've built paper, plastic and wood models. They each have their own charm. I do think that most model contests allow paper models and we really need to put more of them out there. Paper offers subjects you will never see in plastic. The skill I see in some of the models on this sight are testament that it is the builder more important than the material that make a great model.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
I don't fancy myself as a great builder. My models turn out alright, but not fantastic like some of the models that I have seen on this site and others.

That said, I have found that if I take my models, and hold them up in front of distant scenery to snap a picture, my models have been mistaken for real aircraft - and even by the owner of the real plane. This is probably more due to the people applying textures to the models that I build than to anything that I have done. It has happened several times and it makes me smile.

I never experienced that when I was a plastic modeler.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
As someone who likes to design and scratchbuild, paper offers way more possibilities even in the era of 3D printing. It's cheap and so you don't worry about messing up something because you can just make another one. The obvious advantage of being able to supply the parts as sheets in a book means it's far more widespread in the field of architectural models where plastic would require a huge box.

I have seen videos of contests/shows primarily for paper models in countries such as Poland, but they don't seem to be a thing in the UK and US. I would be very keen to know if the plastic model shows here would accept paper as a medium - or if they even could tell the difference? I do use plastic for glass in my buildings!
Old 03-04-2022, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
It's nice that ipms USA accept paper models in their contests. A few years ago I participated in thelford in the international ipms contest.....paper models were not accepted and put into a category where there was really everything. Instead in the contests in which I participated in Italy I have always competed with plastic models winning gold medals and best of class. The paper is great!!!
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2022, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
In ship modeling, i believe paper offers some advantages over plastic in superstructures. Even at 1/200 scale plastic is way too thick. I'll put my superstructures up against any plastic kit. I have the USS Hornet in that scale from both Merit and in paper. I chose the paper kit and so glad i did, it's posted here. I did steal the B25's from the Merit kit, all other planes I kept paper.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The hypocrisy in IPMS groups here in southern Ontario (that I have experienced) ruined my experiences at various shows.

So-called 'plastic' model builders use every other material they can find to augment and complete their 'plastic' builds...
they even have "vinyl", "resin" and "wood" model categories at their events.

And yet, when it comes to actual "paper models" they shun, ignore and refuse to judge.
At least, thats the experience I had at three different IPMS meets.

I must give credit to one IPMS club in London that was very inviting to me at two of their events.
Member after member took an interest in the paper stuff I displayed.
Granted, my competition entries were stuck in the 'non-plastic' category and did not receive any honours.

I agree that paper/card has worked well for building my own AFV kits.
As said, the lack of curvey things helps.
Lots of flat panels on those types of vehicles.

It seems like 'seams" are the undoing of many paper models.
Having to seam long lengths of smooth panels, like on a aircraft.
Or having to build a curvey thing, with lots of parts and lots of seams.
Thats when I wish for a 'molded' assembly.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
My experience over the past ten years in IPMS Region 2 (Eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia) has been that paper models have been very much welcomed.

One of the famous stories among those of us who participate in both paper model events (IPMC and Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days) is my experience of attending an IPMS meet in Silver Spring, PA, standing behind two plastic modelers who were looking at an array of models that included Greg Perry's Modelik Ford GPA amphibious jeep and arguing over whether it was a Fujimi or a Tamiya model.

Don
Old 03-05-2022, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
My experience over the past ten years in IPMS Region 2 (Eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia) has been that paper models have been very much welcomed.

One of the famous stories among those of us who participate in both paper model events (IPMC and Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days) is my experience of attending an IPMS meet in Silver Spring, PA, standing behind two plastic modelers who were looking at an array of models that included Greg Perry's Modelik Ford GPA amphibious jeep and arguing over whether it was a Fujimi or a Tamiya model.

Don