PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-29-2021, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Finally got the top of the superstructure figured out. The very top waistcloths are not from the kit. Review of photos and drawings showed it to be this way so I made my own. Overall it has taken quite a bit of time to produce this little assembly.
I have numbered parts in the kit that the instructions provide no information as to where they go and others no information on how to assemble. Hence, I think I may move onto the multitude of small deck items to thin the (known) parts down. At least I'll feel like I'm making some progress.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Iron Duke-img_0149.jpg   HMS Iron Duke-img_0150.jpg  
Old 11-29-2021, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The bridge structure looks good, Bluenoser.

I have enjoyed following your thread, watching the model take shape, and reading your narrative and your dialog with Dave.

I do not know very much about British WWI battleships (although I am interested in the subject), but have looked at a couple of my reference books.

I do not think that the image you posted in Post #61 as "Compare 1" can be Iron Duke. As Dave mentioned, Iron Duke was demilitarized in 1931-32 and the B and Y turrets were removed. The image shows B turret, as well as WWII-era pompoms and other ordnance. In September 1939, Iron Duke was deployed to Scapa Flow and served for a month as an anti-aircraft and depot ship. It might well have mounted modern automatic AA weapons at that time, but would not have had B turret.

Are you building the model as it looked at a particular time (most likely WWI or the early 20s, based on the images)? Or are you just building a good-looking model representing Iron Duke generally? Whichever it is, you are doing a great job and it is going to be a very handsome model of a very handsome ship.

Don

References

R.A. Burt, British Battleships of World War One, Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1986, pp. 208-231.

Oscar Parkes, British Battleships, "Warrior" 1860 to "Vanguard" 1950: A History of Design, Construction and Armament, London: Seeley Service & Co, 1966, revised edition, pp. 545-550.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:13 AM

The realistic image in #61 compare was provided by Dave from his 'World of Warships' game in comparison to the model part. Other images he's provided from that game definitely show the ship from a later time period.
I am now at the point of just making a good looking general representation of the ship in its early history. Every time I check on a component I find variations in it's configuration. I don't normally check every part I'm building but the instructions for this are soooo poor that I am forced or compelled to. Seeing all the variations in configuration is slowing me down but it is interesting none the
less. mostly I'm trying to stay close to the 'as launched' profile.
One error that I made and will just leave is the rear mounted secondary gun. My research tells me that this gun was mounted too low to be effective and was a very wet station. It was moved almost immediately after trials and relocated to the upper deck. My model is showing both positions which in reality never occurred.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Iron Duke-img_0152.jpg   HMS Iron Duke-inkedimg_0153.jpg  
Old 11-30-2021, 08:21 AM

This book is my primary reference in addition to the internet. The book is very good and it shows the profile of the ship as launched and in her 1921 configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Iron Duke-img_0154.jpg   HMS Iron Duke-img_0155.jpg  
Old 11-30-2021, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Don, I never assumed the model (in the World of Warships game) was accurate to any one time period,
but the game developers have a reputation of extensive research behind the models in the game.

Unfortunately, there might be blends of different configurations involved in the game version to make it a better playable vehicle.

The images are meant more as another visual reference he might use in his modification of the paper model.
I especially like the realistic texturing in the game...I thought that might be useful.

Some things, like the stern Gallery were obviously more accurate on the game model (versus the paper model).
The advantage to referencing the game ship is that I can move the camera around the model for different views and angles.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Iron Duke-ironduke-midship-guns.jpg  

Last edited by airdave; 11-30-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-30-2021, 10:37 AM

All good. I have enjoyed seeing the World of Warships images (I have been pouring over the image you posted in #75, Dave) and Burt is a really excellent resource.

This thread, and the model, have been a source of great pleasure, and I am learning a lot in the process.

Don
Old 11-30-2021, 11:14 AM

I really like the World of Warships images too.
They have already proved invaluable and have shed some light on serious errors/deficiencies in the model.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:35 AM

Progress has slown down. I have moved away from the building of the superstructure to populating the deck with the plethora of boxes and equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
HMS Iron Duke-img_0177.jpg  
Old 12-10-2021, 10:47 AM

It looks outstanding so far.

Don
Old 12-10-2021, 03:47 PM

Thanks. I have other big battleships I’d like to tackle. They look far more intimidating than this one but I’m sure they won’t be fraught with the issues this one is presenting.
Google Adsense