PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 02-25-2022, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
My pizzabox boat

This started from a notion that many ship builders that build from scratch use frosen pizza boxes as their favorite building material. Since I haven't tried it I decided to give it a go. No trouble finding those boxes in this household so I was good to go. For my subject I chose a leisure yacht drawn by famous naval architect Fredrik Henrik af Chapman. I some of his collections this hull is identified as number eight. Pleasant looking vessel that has many characteristics of a typical nordic coastal boat so why not.

I traced the keel line and fabricated the frames and started plating her. Did some pleminary sanding and showed to my wife who liked it and said it reminded her of those soda/beer can models. That changed the course of the build. I decided to finish the boat to that look, no paint and no adhesive planking as planned earlier. I also simplified the desing and some details too (stern structure mostly). I also modified her to a half hull model and stripped the other side away - and here's the result. Me and pizza boxes in the future? A definite match I say. Hope you like my pizzabox boat.

Cheers,

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
My pizzabox boat-chapman-frames.jpg   My pizzabox boat-chapman-side.jpg   My pizzabox boat-pizzaboxboat.jpg   My pizzabox boat-bowview.jpg   My pizzabox boat-sternview.jpg  

My pizzabox boat-hull.jpg   My pizzabox boat-half-boat.jpg   My pizzabox boat-framed.jpg   My pizzabox boat-pizzaboat.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2022, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
looks great. I've always been intrigued by making a boat from plans like this but I get confused. Do you have any WIP pics of the translation from the drawings to actual parts and skinning?
Old 02-25-2022, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 745.93 MB
That is really cool!
Good use of resources. I use food carton boxes too.

I like that you kept the "raw" look. Makes it that much more interesting.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
Nicely made and interesting model. Yes, the "raw" look is intriguing. Well done!
Old 02-25-2022, 01:06 PM

Thank you all. The 'raw look' pleases me too. I think I use it some other time too.

@jleslie48, no I don't have. Those would anyway been useles to other because I improvise as I go and those drawings I used weren't that good either. But the priciple is as follows (or at least how I understand it):

Trace from the sideview the overall outline of the vessel and to it mark the vertical lines of the drawing. Those are your 'stations' where you attach the frames. Frames you trace from the other drawing you need in this case mounted on top of the sideview and at the centerpoint of the vessel. Left side shows frame outlines from stern to centerpoint and right side from centerpoint to bow. Then you just glue the frame halves to their respective stations on both sides - you have to do to set of frames. Or you can mirror each frame and then join them to the stations using half lap joints.

What you don't get from these to drawings is the curvature of the deck, what are the cockpit and cabin arrangements - those have take under consideration when designing the frames.

I don't know if this made things any clearer to you. But there are a lot more experienced shipbuilders in the forum ready help if you ask.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
My pizzabox boat-henriette_marie-1847-rajattu.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2022, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
That's very elegant, Tappi.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:03 AM

Thanks Philip, appreciated.

Tappi
Old 02-26-2022, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Hi there!

You are awesome, Tapcho! This is great!

Especially the frame. This is not paper modeling anymore, this is the next level! This is art!

Bravo!

-R
In the Garage: PANHARD AML20
Old 02-26-2022, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
cool thanks. I think I'm gonna just have to jump into the pool.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Very nice. I was unaware of using frozen pizza boxes as a material. I've only used cereal boxes in the past but the pizza boxes look a bit thicker.
Google Adsense