PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-10-2021, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCoatney View Post
Well, I obviously didn't get as far as I wanted or should have, this evening - politics online - but here she is waiting for me to do her hull all at once.
Very fast, although scissoring out, around crowded little parts, was not easy.
Note also how, to fold down and under the thin edge of the flight deck, I use the whole pieces it is attached to, before I scissor them off, to help avoid warping.

You can see all the side decks ... and little sponsons ... but there are also the stanchions to hold up the flight deck at its extremes.
(Just love these (naval) architecture terms. )

BIG disappointment, though: No BIG RED MEATBALL on the flight deck.

After she and Mikuma/Mogami are assembled, I figure 6 Kates and 3 Zeros should be enough for photos. Then there is that 1 Jake floatplane that Tone and Mikuma have to share ... Doug.
For big red meatballs Kaga, Akagi, Zuikaku or Shoukaku. I dont know of any of the smaller Carriers had a Rising Star on their Flight Decks.. except maybe the Unryu but not certain
Old 11-11-2021, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Shoho/Zuiho TestBuild Stage 2

Well, this has been more difficult than I expected, but there are no insoluble problems. For the most part as far as dimensions it has been excess rather than lack, and that can be trimmed down (and pixel adjustments made to the plan).
Here she is with the hull constructed (although not finished at the ends). The walls of the conning "tower"/bridge need to be lengthened to get that out past the support columns next to it. The side smoke stack may need to be lengthened. And I think the side stack needs to be lengthened.
There is some slight hogging/humping of the hull, but I am hoping when I glue on the flight deck - hull upside-down - and put some weight on that it might help the hull.
In the photo note the BEAUTIFULLY kit-bashed USS Ranger CV-4 which holds a special place in history for Norwegians because when it raided Bodø in 1943 a Norwegian officer rode in one of our planes and helped us avoid hitting civilians.
We lost 2 Dauntless divebombers and sank a lesser ship or two. One of the planes' crew was killed, the other survived and were given warm tea and food until the Germans arrived to pick them up before the Norwegian Resistance could get to them to get them across the border into Sweden.
Mysteriously, the one Dauntless's machine guns and their ammo had completely disappeared when the Germans were finally able to get to the wreck.
Operation Leader - Wikipedia
Behind Ranger is a built USS Enterprise which was included in my eBay purchase ... for a pittance.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1:1200 IJNSs Shoho & Zuiho light aircraft carriers-zuihobldg2.jpg  
Old 11-15-2021, 11:37 PM

Gluing the hull down onto the bottom of the flight deck. B-)

Ensuring a flat flight deck ... and keel ... with the help of an American national resource. 🙂

I've got the 1:1200 plastic Pyro now Lindberg Shokaku and Zuikaku carrier kits, and in their sickly pastel green and far less detailed than even my abbreviated 1:1200 Shoho/Zuiho ... and they don't look complicated to design at all. Hmmm ... 😎
Attached Thumbnails
My 1:1200 IJNSs Shoho & Zuiho light aircraft carriers-zuihobldg3.jpg  
Old 11-16-2021, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Excellent!

I would definitely support Shokaku and Zuikaku, as I will probably not make another plastic ship model again anytime soon. I am so spoiled with cardstock and not having to paint anything other than edges.

Doug
Old 11-16-2021, 02:51 PM

I KNOW, Doug. No more stinky/toxic, messy enamels!

However, COMMA, it is important (for me) to remember to put ARRESTING WIRES and BARRIERS on aircraft carriers.

I'm thinking I may need to do another Shoho, to make sure everything now fits, and to have "minor details" like those.

I've done a Zero and am doing a Kate, to populate my carriers' decks.

Shokaku and Zuikaku would be HUGE, though. They were over 800 feet long! A sheet unto themselves, each.

I'm not finding meatballs on the fleet carriers' decks in reputable sources, Dr77. Sorry.

Last edited by LouCoatney; 11-16-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2021, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Following this with interest and admiration of scratch modelers.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:42 PM

Scratch modeling but more. :-)

"''Oh, stop whining! Can't you just print off another one?''- my wife ca 2018""

Hah!! But she doesn't understand.

A wife so pungent must be very pretty too.

When I get the subs ... and maybe a 3x2 5" gun destroyer ... and maybe Shokaku/Zuikaku ... designed and test-built, this is going up probably on Wargamer Vault to be sold ... for $15? ... as a 1942 task force set, Rata.

2 or 4 carriers, 4 Kongo class fast battleships, 2 Tone class heavy cruisers, 4 Mikuma/Mogami class heavy cruisers, 8+? destroyers, and 8+? subs.

Then I turn to my 1942 USN set, remembering not to leave out the S-class subs and microscopic PT boats.

Thank you for your interest, seriously. The views and comments keep me going.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Prolific! Keep 'em coming mate.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:47 PM

Shoho's arresting wires and crash barrier

Hmm ... I have mounted the flight deck and side stack, but then realized that I had forgotten to put arresting wires and the last-resort landing crash barrier on the deck, and the stack is too short and small.

So here ARE the arresting wires and barrier ... for my SECOND test-built 1942 Shoho/Zuiho and my little Imperial Fleet ... ... and both sides of the barrier standing up will also be provided.

Now back to Shokaku's and Zuikaku's flight deck ... and the hull is yet to be test-built. Also I have to do the little Aichi Val divebombers ... and then there are the submarines.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1:1200 IJNSs Shoho & Zuiho light aircraft carriers-szwiresbarrier.png  
Old 11-26-2021, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
thank you for sharing, looking forward to the completed model.
Google Adsense

Tags
aircraft carrier, japanese, shoho, world war ii (ww ii)