PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-13-2021, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thank you Joe for the welcoming and and your kind comment. I must confess that during my absent years your thread ’Harbour 1800’ was one of the builds I followed silently. It offered a strange comfort and solace I needed during those years.

Best regards

Tappi
Old 11-13-2021, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work Tapcho.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Hello Tapcho.

Nice to see you appear again - and already into an interesting build! I still remember some of the advice you gave me!

I will follow with interest!
Old 11-13-2021, 11:39 AM

Good to be back and see/hear/read old friends Kevin and David. Today I got all three decks in place without any major hickups. Delt with all the aforementioned issues and I'm good to move on plating the upper sides of the hull. All the pieces are already cut.

It's suprising how solid and stiff these hulls become with only glue, cardboard and paper. Rock solid almost.

While waiting the glue to set there's time to do little tests. I detailed the little hatch a bit and did a test on how to present a fixture for the deadeyes. Made the mock up deadeye fast and the tried abhovi's clever trick to twist a copper wire to imitate the chains used at that time to attach them to the hull. I think it will work nicely. After I practice a bit more.

BR Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-img_8522.jpg   His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-img_8523.jpg   His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-img_8524.jpg   His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-img_8519.jpg   His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-img_8511.jpg  

Old 11-14-2021, 02:16 AM

This post is a test of how to apply pictures on posts. I don't like the way the picture thumbnail orientation and picture re-scaling works with iPhone pics and iCloud storage. These are taken with Nikon D700 and downloaded straight to my hard disk. All under 5Mb when uploaded to PM server. Everything looks fine after the upload. Let's see what happens when I post this comment.

BR Tappi

PS So this is the way to go, problem solved with workaround solution. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-_dsc6157.jpg   His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-_dsc6158.jpg   His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-_dsc6159.jpg   His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-naeyttoekuva-6-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2021, 03:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
This build, apart from admiration of your handiwork, is of special interest to me. It was in this ship that Lt. (later Captain) James Cook and his crew were the first known Europeans to visit and chart the East coast of my country, Australia.

Will continue to follow your build with interest!
Old 11-14-2021, 06:58 AM

Thanks Rata and you are very welcome to join. Yes Terra Australis was at Cook's time only an assumed landmass needed to explain earths astonomical behaviour and not discovered yet. it was calculated that there must be a missing continent in that area. These explorers had seirious tasks upon them.

BR Tappi

Last edited by Tapcho; 11-14-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am checking in belatedly to your build thread of this excellent model.

It is very good to see you back on the Forum and build, Tappi!

Don
Old 11-16-2021, 01:58 AM

So very good to see you too Don! And your not late, these are just first steps of a long walk by just looking at the part count and many subassemblies ahead not to mention the daunting rigging.

One problem I have is that I haven't been able to find build threads of this particular model anywwhere. There's one here and it helped me to go through some issues with the first layer of plating the hull. I've looked through the German, French and Mediterranian forums that I know but no luck so far. If anybody stumbles on a build thread of this paper model I'd be very happy to know.

One question for shipmodelers: should I seal the hull at this stage with lacquer. I would think that would protect the first layer from warping when the planking (final layer) is installed. So far I've just lightly sanded the hull and done some minor surgery to smoothen her a bit. Any advice is much appreciated.

Third question is what point/line/height should be chosen as a reference level when starting the final planking. I'm not too confident of the parts fit because I noticed a small verping in the hull when workin wit the first plating. I have been thinking that I should first work the inward sides of the hull at deck level first and then turn to work on the outside and drop everyting in palace downwards to the keel. Does this sound right or am I just over thinking this issue?

I post few pictures soon.

Thanks in advance...

Tappi
Old 11-16-2021, 02:19 AM

Here's one picture to explain the last question.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
His Majesty's Barque Endeavour 1768 - 1/96 model by Shipyard-img_8602.jpg  
Google Adsense