PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-30-2022, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello,

As you may well understand I am building the same SD14 and approx. am in the same stage of progress. ( I hope I succeed in attaching a picture with this message)
I allow myself to make some remarks: I do not know how you managed to fix the after part to the middel section. But you still have to fix the front part to the middle section. I did that a couple of weeks ago. I found out that by following the manual this causes some difficulties. Therefor: please keep free the last couple of centimters of the bottom plates of both parts of these sections free from glue. And also take care that the longitudial beams can freely and easely move into each other.

Something else: I like the idea of putting cargo into the holds. But do you realise that the bundle of pipes might weight a lot more than the 5 Tonnes the derricks were able to lift? And your load of bricks: you put the bricks on pallets. How to get them out of the hold?

Regards,
Gert Vlaanderen

( Attaching a picture did not succeed )
Old 05-30-2022, 09:00 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Hello,

As you may well understand I am building the same SD14 and approx. am in the same stage of progress. ( I hope I succeed in attaching a picture with this message)
I allow myself to make some remarks: I do not know how you managed to fix the after part to the middel section. But you still have to fix the front part to the middle section. I did that a couple of weeks ago. I found out that by following the manual this causes some difficulties. Therefor: please keep free the last couple of centimters of the bottom plates of both parts of these sections free from glue. And also take care that the longitudial beams can freely and easely move into each other.

Something else: I like the idea of putting cargo into the holds. But do you realise that the bundle of pipes might weight a lot more than the 5 Tonnes the derricks were able to lift? And your load of bricks: you put the bricks on pallets. How to get them out of the hold?

Regards,
Gert Vlaanderen

( Attaching a picture did not succeed )
Read this to help with posting pictures >> How To: post pictures to a thread
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-30-2022, 01:15 PM

good evening Gert
thank you for your comments, very much appreciated

the cargo is still very much WIP and i may change it, the pipes are a bit too long and the pallets for the bricks need redoing, or need strapping and more depth for realism
i never followed the instructions very well and added the after section a lot earlier than expected, and then had a few issues fitting the forward section, so i cut the tanks tops back a few frames and slotted it in
i think the biggest problem i am going to have is the hull plates, must admit i am dreading that job, and even today toyed with the idea of not putting any on,

for the phots i do it this way
on my computer where i keep my phots i also have temp folders with all my build logs, i post to quite a few sites
in my temp folder i resize all my photos to large 1620x1080
on this site
go Advanced
attach files Manage attachments
select your 5 images then make that section wider and you will find the upload files icon
submit reply

it was the Upload files icon i had issues with LOL
Old 06-02-2022, 12:06 PM

Hallo,

My attempt to create some pictures of my SD14 Build.

Gert Vlaanderen
Attached Thumbnails
SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-03-mei-2022-tweendeck-midship-connected-front-3-.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-04-mei-2022-tweendeck-midship-plus-front.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-029-boven-aanzicht-dek-okt.jpg  
Old 06-02-2022, 12:19 PM

Gert she looks fantastic
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2022, 11:10 PM

Good morning everyone
the build continues. without any real problems, any issues were caused by me, doing things the way I do
My mojo drifted any for a couple of days over the cargo layouts, at the same time my thoughts were were on conversations with a model producer wrt to my next build, which will not be on here as its not card, going back to my wooden models and another long term build, as much as i have enjoyed this. paper is not my favourite medium to work with, respect to those who produce some stunning work

anyway day 76 of my SD14
top deck girders for midships and the forepeak being lined up, just some deck plates, lighting, ladders, vents etc to be made up before they are fixed in
Attached Thumbnails
SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3668.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3684.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3687.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3688.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3689.jpg  

Old 06-06-2022, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin 547n View Post
good evening everyone

i think this is my first post, even though i joined many years ago

i am about to do the full SD14 kit and wondered if anyone would be interested to follow me along, i have ordered it today and hope to start as soon as it arrives
i already have a semi completed bow and midships section, they have been is storage for years
at the start of this year i began the stern part, as a 90 day group build, and was doing very well, even added part of the midships section as it was going to be in a diorama setting, but disaster this afternoon when i fell on it and destroyed it

Destroyed meaning start again?!
I’d have collapsed from the shock.
So did you really buy another and start from scratch?

Regards,
Alan
Old 06-06-2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Destroyed meaning start again?!
I’d have collapsed from the shock.
So did you really buy another and start from scratch?

Regards,
Alan
i had the full kit of which i had a bow section 50% complete, midships 20% done, they had been hanging around for a long time the after section remained still boxed
In Jan this year i started the stern section for a 90 day group build, and took a large segment of the midships section to add to it
30 days into the build i fell over it, and it went to landfill leaving me with just the bow, this set me back a couple of weeks, and i tried to start something new for the group build but me heart was not in it

i rebought the whole kit again and started it in March this year, and was going to use the previous bow, however using a different paint scheme this time, it was going to be to much work to repaint the bow so that also went to land fill

here she is as off last night, i did the right thing by restarting it all
Attached Thumbnails
SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3698.jpg  
Old 06-24-2022, 11:00 PM

Good morning everyone

i am on day 96 of the build now, and at last she is starting to look like a representation of a 1960's cargo vessel
i should have taken note of some things though
1, follow @Marco build a lot closer
2, remember to draw the bilge plate lines on the bottom plates right at the start
3, stop being so dam ambitious and take on a 7 foot build for a card model

rightly or wrong i went down the route of preplating the hull with tape, to ensure a good bond, i dont think i needed to but did
i am using a sticky tape to cover the butt joints, this seams to have settled down quite well after a varnish
Attached Thumbnails
SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3741.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3840.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3857.jpg   SD14 Full Build-1/70-Marcle-kevvin 547n - Jan2022-img_3864.jpg  
Old 06-25-2022, 03:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
awesome just awesome
Google Adsense

Tags
1/70, card, kevin 547n, marcle, sd14