PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-23-2022, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.69 MB
I've progressed some

I finished cutting out the second round of wheel disks. (Just so everyone knows, I've decided that good enough is if it looks good at arm's length.) I made an axle by wrapping white paper around a bamboo skewer until I got a 4 mm shaft. The disks fit on it fine, so the next step is painting them.

Some random Youtuber, industrial engineer says you're supposed to paint cardboard with shellac before painting. I assume this is to make sure the cardboard is sealed so that whatever you put on next covers evenly. I didn't have shellac, but I had some acrylic varnish, so I used that undiluted. I've started putting primer on top of the varnish, again undiluted.

One side of the disks now has two coats of primer on them. The corners are filling up again. But, the varnish under the primer has made sanding a much more viable process. I've finally got it in my thick head that diluting acrylics is done, not to increase work, but to preserve details....i.e. corners. I'll be diluting everything from now on.
Attached Thumbnails
The Delta Queen-wheel-unassembled-unpainted.jpg  
Old 05-14-2022, 10:58 AM

The Wheel is finished

To achieve a completed wheel I needed to cut out two sets of disks and two sets of 28 floaters. The reason for all this cutting was using cardboard and paper that were too thin. Everything got a coat of varnish, two coats of primer, and at least three coats of paint. The white rings on the wheels were drawn on by hand with a gel pen. The axle is a bamboo skewer wrapped with white paper to get the required thickness, and the white center disks are just paper.

This wheel has its problems, but I learned a lot. When doing things like floaters, the horizontal pieces that move the water, if you need 28, start with 40. Through one accident or another I lost a bunch and only finished with 1 extra floater. Also, I made the floaters something like 10 mm too long. This allowed me a bit on the end to hold on too while I was painting, and it allowed me to cut them as needed to get the correct overhang outside the wheel.

The wheel disks are 1 mm after painting, but they are still a long way from rigid. A big problem when assembling the wheel was how to keep the disks parallel. If I build another wheel, I'll have to work on that problem some more. I figured out how to keep the disks from getting too close to each other, but not how to keep them from being too far apart. A further problem is that the disks were cut out by hand. Laser cutting would go a long way towards making things symmetrical and therefore easier to align. The saving grace of the axle is that I didn't put glue on all the paper when I wrapped it. I only glued the last half inch or so. This allowed the disks to move by tightening, or loosening, the wrap as needed.

It's not perfect....not even close. But, by the standard I use, how does it look at arms length, I'm pretty proud of what I've done.
Attached Thumbnails
The Delta Queen-20220514_100632.jpg   The Delta Queen-20220514_100642.jpg   The Delta Queen-20220514_100654.jpg  
Old 05-14-2022, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That looks like it took a tremendous amount of determination!, the paddles look remarkably straight...
Old 05-14-2022, 07:18 PM

Some of the floaters/buckets are straighter than others, but from arms length it looks fine. It's a static model, so I don't have to worry about wobbling when it rotates. What are you working on these days?
Old 05-15-2022, 04:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm working on the DD 886-> DD 886 u.s.s. Orleck design process

Tags
delta queen, paddle wheel, river boat, scratch built, steamboat