PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 05-29-2022, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Sorry to see this kit is not working out. I may have to put the Archerfish to the bottom of the pile. I wonder though if the 1/200 version that I have would build better?
Old 05-29-2022, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Dunn View Post
This should be fun to watch!
I agree cause I have a soft spot with subs too. But for another reason aswell - the workbench. Nothing short of a miracle to see it appear from that surrounding (my bench looks like that occasionally too). :D

Tappi
Old 05-29-2022, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
Sorry to see this kit is not working out. I may have to put the Archerfish to the bottom of the pile. I wonder though if the 1/200 version that I have would build better?
I wonder that too. I think if it fits better at the smaller scale, the glossier paper may add its own issues.

Greg
Old 05-29-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
I agree cause I have a soft spot with subs too. But for another reason aswell - the workbench. Nothing short of a miracle to see it appear from that surrounding (my bench looks like that occasionally too). :D

Tappi
I know my bench is a mess. If I clean it, I might not be able to find anything though.....

Greg
Old 05-29-2022, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Greg I'm too familiar with the messy workbench symptom too. About the boat , sorry to see ypu run into trouble with it. Blame the kit not yourself. Abhovi's testimonial backs you up. On with another one.

Tappi

PS I posted my comment having read the first page and was not noticing there was more to read. Sorry.
Google Adsense
Old 05-29-2022, 11:35 AM

No need to apologize Tapcho, I take no offense.

Greg
Old 05-30-2022, 10:42 AM

I have decided to suspend this build at this time and work on something else. Not sure when I'll pick it back up, someday maybe. Sorry.

Greg
Old 05-31-2022, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Would you (or anyone else) be interested in redesigning the hull? I think I can do pretty good with getting a shape. Take a look at the Yellow Submarine. The shape is pretty curvy (curvier than these guppies), but I think it is smooth enough to enjoy.

There was a technique posted for hulls, that used very wide nailers (glue backers), that I have wanted to try. Can't find the post, of course. Created what looked like a very smooth hull.

texture takes me way more time than it should. I seem to get the details to almost match up then spend ten trial builds adjusting.

I have wanted a guppy (not a class, I realize, but post war refit of the gatos and lionfish classes) for a long time, I was sorry to see discouraging posts about this model.

al
Old 05-31-2022, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
here is the post with the technique I want to try.

1/144 HMAS Wallaroo [Bathurst-class corvette]

al

Last edited by aansorge; 05-31-2022 at 09:44 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 05-31-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
Would you (or anyone else) be interested in redesigning the hull? I think I can do pretty good with getting a shape. Take a look at the Yellow Submarine. The shape is pretty curvy (curvier than these guppies), but I think it is smooth enough to enjoy.

There was a technique posted for hulls, that used very wide nailers (glue backers), that I have wanted to try. Can't find the post, of course. Created what looked like a very smooth hull.

I have wanted a guppy (not a class, I realize, but post war refit of the gatos and lionfish classes) for a long time, I was sorry to see discouraging posts about this model.

al
Sorry to disappoint with discouraging posts. Some stuff is just not designed well.

I however, have no inclination to design myself, so I just try to build stuff and opine about my experience. This is not the first thread I've started that I never finished....

As for the wide joiner strips, I used joinersbetween each and every lower hull plate and each and every upper hull plate. If I had known, I would have used different approach to add joiner strips between the the upper and lower hull parts, although I'm not sure the results would be markedly better.

Greg