PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
NO!

Don,
No, Don I did not know this at the time. (I do now!) I picked the Jaccard, cause it was the only USS DE that I could find in paper. Again, thank you kindly for the historical information! I used to have the SEM collection of books...but gave it to the library in Bloomfield, MO, before we moved from a job in that area many years ago.:(
Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Thumbs down On Inkjet Printers...

Don,
On the Printer...I am currently using a generic HP Photosmart 8250...I think cost about $80 or $90 dollars:p ...previous to this I have had the higher end Epson Stylus Photo R800 and the Canon S9000 ink jet Printers both of these with the vaunted "micro head jet nozzles"...but have found that all of the printers with this feature clog up...and eventually break down...so though the initial prints with these upper end printers ($300-$400) was good...they were a failure in the long run! This is totally my take on printers:o and should not be confused with other more intelligent and technically minded opinions!...Bob out
Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up Jaccard and Hodges hull progress....

I have pretty much finished the hulls up to the main deck line on these two little ships....they were sanded as above and then painted with the Tamiya hull red paint and then again sanded with a fine grain and then sprayed with a clear flat acrylic spray to set and protect the color...The Hodges in in the forefront and the Jaccard in the rear on the deck up shots...now to begin working on the decks....will keep you posted on my progress....Happy Columbus Day!
http://www.clarksvegas.com/bob/galle...ished.JPG.html
http://www.clarksvegas.com/bob/galle...tside.JPG.html
http://www.clarksvegas.com/bob/galle...board.JPG.html
Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the info on the printer, Bob.

I'm enjoying watching these little ships take shape and am looking forward to your Matsu project.

Don B.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 AM

Sweet looking hulls, Bob!
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Bob - In one of the photographs, the dark color on the Hodges hull appears to have a purplish cast.

The dark color would be Navy Blue (5-N) in Measure 33 and dull black (BK) in Measure 32.

Of course, since Jaccard and Hodges had each side painted in a different measure, I would expect to see a difference in the dark color of the two hulls, but I would have expected the Navy Blue to be less purplish.

I notice in some wartime color photographs that there is considerable variation in the appearance of the Navy Blue -- varying from a chalky lighter color to a deep purple. Some of it must be due to weathering of the paint at sea, some due to different lighting conditions, and some perhaps due to different types of film.

Does the Navy Blue on your hulls actually have a purplish cast, or is it just a trick of the light in the photograph (or my computer screen)?

Don
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 PM

Question Navy Blue

Don the actual color as given on the kit is distinctly purple....the color on my ships is darker and more blue...but still distinctly purple...5N Navy Blue should be more like this, I believe...
Attached Thumbnails
Next project Fly USS Jaccard-IJN Matsu!-5n-navy-blue.jpg  
Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Interesting! The Sowinski/Walkowiak book on Navy camouflage that I have been referring to (United States Navy Camouflage of the WW2 Era) does not include color chips, but says that "The most often used USN color (in WWII) was the purple tinted blue-gray range." So we would expect there to be some purple tinge as in the sample you provided.

I have ordered a set of color chips from Floating Drydock and look forward to seeing what these colors look like in the chips.

In a posting to Barry's thread on his re-colored Gearing class destroyer, I mentioned a Navy camouflage forum. I just "discovered" it and haven't had a chance to poke around in there, but I've seen enough to judge that the participants know a LOT about the subject and are very serious.

More later,

Don
Old 10-14-2007, 06:21 PM

I have redone and re-skinned the color on the hulls to more closely reflect the 5N Sea Blue more closely than previous...much more blue now...and have began construction on the superstructure...
http://www.clarksvegas.com/bob/galle...egins.JPG.html
http://www.clarksvegas.com/bob/galle...egins.JPG.html
Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM

The Jaccard looks great, Bob! I'm really enjoying watching these ships take shape.

Don
Google Adsense