PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wak 1:200 dunkerque

Here is a project I have been working on for awhile. It is WAK's 1:200 scale French Battleship Dunkerque. This was released 1/2007, and is in keeping with their current work. Looking over the pages you will notice the art work is crisp and the colors remain consistent. This is a big ship of the line and is well represented by WAK. Using a set of drawings from David Marlowe, the kit scales out well and the detail is true. I will not be knocking this out as fast as I did the Ironclad, but will enjoy and take my time. I for one happen to believe this was a beautiful ship and the design of, has always interested me. In the photos you will notice I have assembled the laser cut formers into a waterline ship. It is in this form I intend to build. The formers are just excellent and go together with ease. You will notice I have rubber cemented the base of the hull former to a sheet of heavy glass. I will leave attached thru the build of the hull. My next step is to prepare the deck for attachment to the hull. I hope you enjoy this build.:DRick
Attached Thumbnails
Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-001.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-002.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-003.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-004.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-005.jpg  

Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-006.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-007.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-008.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-009.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-french-battleship-dunkerque-010.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Rick, needless to say, that ship is absolutely HUGE!! I've always wondered about WAK quality. Thanks for starting this off with us. It's always so nice to see a ship of the line start from the water up

Ron
Old 09-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Looks nice an clean, Rick.
It is a big one! Always amazed at how big some of the models are compared to the size of the package.

Smart use of the rubber cement and glass.

Even though you're just starting the thread, I already know it will be one to archive (for me anyway).

Are the laser cut formers part of the model package itself, or were they a separate purchase?

I wonder what custom cutting formers would cost? There is a railroad building model manufacturer locally that has laser cutters.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:12 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Yes, a 1/200 Dunkerque is big. You can see that as it sits on your table. That frame looks straight and true. Nice work. Neat to see the blueprints as well.
Mike
Old 09-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Looks nice an clean, Rick.
It is a big one! Always amazed at how big some of the models are compared to the size of the package.

Smart use of the rubber cement and glass.

Even though you're just starting the thread, I already know it will be one to archive (for me anyway).

Are the laser cut formers part of the model package itself, or were they a separate purchase?

I wonder what custom cutting formers would cost? There is a railroad building model manufacturer locally that has laser cutters.
Laser cut formers are a sep. purchase item. The kit and laser formers came from Paper Model Store. Ordered a set of barrels from him as well, they are GPM. I have to admit the formers are not cheap! :DRick
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Yes, a 1/200 Dunkerque is big. You can see that as it sits on your table. That frame looks straight and true. Nice work. Neat to see the blueprints as well.
Mike
Michael the blue prints came from a fella named David Marlowe, from Largo, FLA. I ordered a set of blue prints from CA of another ship and was very disappointed in what I got! But this fellas is some of the best work I have seen, and his catalogue is just full of the ships/vessels we build here on the forum. I have his address, but I do not have his web address. I ordered from EBay the 1st time. I recommend these blue prints to anyone looking for that extra detail and to verify that the kit is drawn correct. I got this from following docrox's builds.:DRick

Last edited by Papercut; 09-12-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron0909 View Post
Rick, needless to say, that ship is absolutely HUGE!! I've always wondered about WAK quality. Thanks for starting this off with us. It's always so nice to see a ship of the line start from the water up

Ron
Ron, for some reason, I am one of those builder's who likes to see the ship as she sets in the water. Now do not get me wrong, I enjoy a full hull build too, but I find I get easily bogged down during this and have been known to stop working on a project because of the problems I have covering the bottom. I guess old habits are hard to break, started building while stationed in FRG during the 70's and the designs were 1:250 waterline. So that has stuck with me. Thanks for the reply.:DRick
Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM

You may have noticed the hull overhangs the sheet of glass. The pane of glass is 38 1/2" long, 10" wide, 1/4" thick, cost me $25.00, tempered glass. The hull frame is 42 1/2" long, 6 1/4" wide. I purchased this for another build, now I wished I had of ordered cut a bit longer!Rick
Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Todays progress.:D
Attached Thumbnails
Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-001.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-002.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-005.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-007.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-010.jpg  

Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-012.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-013.jpg   Wak 1:200 dunkerque-dunkerque-016.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Eternal Member

Good looking hull

Google Adsense