PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
CSS Palmetto State 1/72 scale test build

I have recieved 11 sheets of part thus far for this impressive model designed by CT Ertz and today I began by laminating the first few sheets of parts in order to begin construction. After looking over the parts pages carefuly, it becomes readily apparent how large this model really is!

I started by laminating the base pieces along with the subdeck and framers:

Then I started to cut out the base and framework. Once I had the complete base cut out and on my mat, the true size of this model came into focus:

Here you can see that the laminated base is well over the 24 inch length of my cutting mat. I am indeed impressed by the size and scale of this design!

Tomorrow, I hope to continue cutting out the frame work and actually starting construction of the of the hull base....
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Impressive! I'm looking forward to watching this come together. I've got a couple of CT's small-scale ironclads and I'm very impressed with him!

Wyvern
Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I am glad to see that those pieces went together! So far so good.I hope they fit, I hope they fit..
Old 09-24-2009, 06:45 PM

More progress today. It took some time to cut out the framework due to the sheer number of them required. After a few hours, I had them all cut out and ready for construction. I also managed to get the sub deck cut out and ready for assembly as well. The process may have been slightly slowed by the laminating material I chose to use for this project, which appears to be slightly thicker than 1mm. Should be ready to start assembling all these parts soon!

I also discovered after cutting them out that 2 frame pieces did not have numbers on them, but after studying the parts sheets, I discovered that these were parts 25 & 26....

More to come soon!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 PM

OK, I will see if I can shrink the print a bit and mark those parts as well!

Wow, that looks wierd seeing the parts like that. I have been playing with them over and over on the computer...but they sure lok big in real life!

CT
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 PM

Ok, finally got to the building part. Started by laying the keel pieces. Had a momentary lapse of confusion on my part since it appeared parts "c" were not labled. Process of elimination made it clear where they went...

The keel pieces on the base of the ship. Had to lay the center pieces upside down due to the printing error previously discovered:

Everything to this point seems to fit well. Only minor trimming to do to make some pieces fit, but I attribute that to poor exacto blade cuts.

Now I start of the frame pieces, starting with frame piece number one:

Frame Pieces again only require minor trimming, again my skill with the exacto weren't on the ball this time around.

Up to frame number nine in this photo:

As far as I made it for tonight. I managed to get to frame 18 out of 26 total. Process seems to slow as you get to the frames requiring 3 holes to fit, but still only some trimming here and there and everything fits nice and snug:

More to come soon!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Wow, your moving right along. I better hurry up on those guns! Looks great.

CT
Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 AM

More progress today. Some limited confusion on my part, but I want to make sure I get the build right. I am certain I am driving the wonderful designer of this kit batty with all my questions/suggestions!

Started by finishing the framework and the keel pieces:

The frame pieces fit very well and needed only minor editing for hasty or poor cuts on my part. Now I moved on to the sub deck assembly:

Subdeck went on the keel and frame pieces with only some minor trimming and moving to get a precise fit. Now I moved onto adding the wooden deck pieces and convering the frames with the initial hull pieces:

Added the stern wooden deck piece and started with the hull pieces on the opposite side as well:

No major problems thus far other than some minor labeling issues. Only suggestion thus far, although it is probably already in the works, would be a hull piece that covers the seam at the bow and the one I assume I will have at the stern. Other than that, this has been an enjoyable build thus far!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Actually, those spaces should be covered with the iron bar armor. We will see how it works out.

How about the decking color. i was not sure how the yello pine would look on a large scale. Too bright, or about right? Let me know.

This is just too cool to see this monster start to come to life. i see it everyday on the computer but dang...your doing a great job!

CT
Old 09-27-2009, 12:53 PM

I think the yellow pine came out pretty good. Prior to printing I went into my photo editor and gave it a 10% darker tint to make it look more like the pine I am used to seeing. What do you think CT? I think it came out just fine!
Google Adsense