PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
A similar vessel to the Stonewall, the Huascar, has been modeled by Wir/Kel (reviewed on this site) and by Paper Shipwright.

Wyvern
Old 10-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.30 MB
Smile CSS Missouri

CT,

Attached you will find images of the CSS Missouri. The last ship to fly the stars and bars inside the confederacy. She was surrendered in June 1865.

Lester
Attached Thumbnails
CSN next model design, what do y'all want?-css_missouri.jpg   CSN next model design, what do y'all want?-css_missouri2.jpg   CSN next model design, what do y'all want?-css_missouri3.jpg   CSN next model design, what do y'all want?-css_missouri4.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
The CSS Missouri is doable, and I found a page giving measurements of boat the hull and the casement. So, was the casement squared off, or slightly rounded at the front? The info I found last night claims that the casement was armored with interlocking T-rails like on the Arkansas, set on a diagonal pattern to avoid cutting the rails anymore then needed. I still ned more info though.

I like the length and general design, so this may work.

CT
Old 10-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Very similar to the Eades gunboats (on the Union side).

Wyvern
Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
How about the USS Cairo, interesting design and has been in parts recovered. Just a thought. Oh yea, 1/72!
I've got drawings from the museum - several pages long...

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
I'm actually working on a 1/250 Cairo, and plan on a 1/72 Carondelet. Just fyi...

I concur with those who have said CSS Missouri, I'd really like to see that one done.

[email protected]
Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Cool Avery, I knew you had something planned. The City Class ships are cool.
CT
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Here is what I found on the Missouri from
Missouri

Missouri

(IrcRam: l. 183'; b. 53'8"; dph. 10'3"; dr. 8'6"; a. 1 32-pdr., 1 11" Dahlgren, 1 9" Dahlgren)

CSS Missouri, a centerwheel steam sloop was launched at Shreveport, La., on 14 April 1863. Her commanding officer was Lt. J. H. Carter, CSN. Missouri never saw action but engaged in transport and mining details between Alexandria and Shreveport, La., above the Red River obstructions. At the end of hostilities Missouri came down to Shreveport and surrendered to U.S. naval forces on 3 June 1865. She was taken into the U.S. Navy and sold at Mound City, Ill., on 29 November 1865.

Missouri's casemate or citadel was 130'6" by 53'8" at base, but only 105' by 29' at the top, creating a slope of 30°. Railroad T-iron, 4½" thick, was laid diagonally (to avoid cutting) over this structure, with rail crowns facing alternately inward and outward in order to interlock when spiked to the 23" yellow pine backing. The pilot-house in the forepart of the casemate projected 19" above its deck, which was not armored at all, although the exposed 50-odd feet of the ship's main deck was plated like the citadel's sides. No time having been available to build a wheel-box, the big paddlewheel, 22'6" in diameter, projected for 8'4" above any protection out of a recess at the after end of the casemate. Three balanced rudders were located under the fantail; her steering wheel on the gun deck beneath the pilothouse.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by APA-168 View Post
I'm actually working on a 1/250 Cairo, and plan on a 1/72 Carondelet. Just fyi...

I concur with those who have said CSS Missouri, I'd really like to see that one done.
Do you have enough information for the project? I have something like 15-20 pages of drawings I requested at the museum.

Ryan
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.30 MB
CSS Missouri

CT,

I had a conversation with Robert Holcombe several years ago about the Missouri and the Mannassas. With so little info available on the two ships I just mentioned, he said that whichever way you go will be correct because there is no information to prove you wrong. We had a long correspondence about the Mannassas in regards to the number of stacks. Some drawings and paintings show one stack while others show two. Robert told me that he thought I would be correct building it either way because he thinks it was built with two stacks originally and after being damaged at the battle of the Head of the Passes at the mouth of the Mississippi it was rebuilt with one.

I hope this solves your problem as far as the casemate is concerned.

Lester (fishjay)
Google Adsense