PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Royaloakmin, I'm thinking of possibly building it up from sprue, I just can't say that P word yet. I do have a better printed version of the thing. Same goes for the "bedspring" radar thingy. I may build that up from wire though. Steel and brass sounds better than P------ at least!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Abandon ship!

Thus next little installment is a small rework of the liferafts that festoon the flight deck sides. The kit gives you a flat drawed on top layer laminated with 4 layers of card stock. I recolored them, laminated the top 3 used the handy hole puncher from Japan, the glued them to a printed surface with oar details and small deck boards. It gives a better 3D effect...
Attached Thumbnails
JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0592.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0593.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0594.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM

The Business end of the carrier, pt1

The businees end of any carrier is the flight deck. I've started folding the big aft section and the fwd section. The very front part of the flight deck on the kit is rounded and so to fit it better I've coated the under surfaces with a light touch of the wood glue I've been using, I've hit both mating surfaces allowed them to dry then final glued the pieces. The arrows show the preglued coatings. The front and back sections are then lued on on top of the other, in retrospect I might've butt glued them so they didn't overlap and create a small detectable seam. I should've remembered from 7 years ago... the final pic is the deck sitting on the inner hull area just waiting to be skinned with the color parts. This is only part 1, the deck will be a little better detailed towards the finish of the kit, er someday....
Attached Thumbnails
JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0586.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0588.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0587.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0596.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Inner hull prelimanaries con't...

JSC uses some unique box like structures and laminated bulkheads of a sort to give some support to the outer colored skinning parts. The central piece is a rectangle like thing, then the fwd and aft sections are then glued. I finished the inner structure, glued the aft section but am waiting to put the fwd section on....
Attached Thumbnails
JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0583.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0585.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Nice fiddly bits CMDRTED! I really like the tiny planes...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am really enjoying this build. Your skill is infinitely greater than mine, Ted, but I hope to take advantage of the techniques you are using for the rafts and flight deck to make another attempt at this kit. One of the reasons I stopped work was the realization that any pilot attempting to take off from my flight deck would get seasick. Next time, I contemplate a cardboard liner under the deck to insure a smooth, flat surface like yours.

Don
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Well Don, it isn't actually that flat. If you fold up the edges and place the bottom edge to the flight deck that surprisingly stiffens it up quite a bit. The original wood colored deck is 7 years old and has held up its shape very well. It wasn't delicately treated either!
Anyways todays nmodest installment is the foredeck redux. The kit parts are printed on deck bollards and anchor chains. Also a small pitfall is the foredeck is rounded in the kit but when you mount it to the inner skin as per instructions it has a very large gap towards the front. See the arrows...
Attached Thumbnails
JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0579.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 PM

my fix for this was to leave a sharp pointy part of the deck then trimm to fit. I rolled up some thin paper for the bits and glued them to deck blue rectangles corresponding to the printed on bits. I also made separate chains and hawser lead holes and redid the anchor winch. One pic shows a technique I developed to make all those dozens of similar rounded parts. After rolling the tube and it dries you take the edge of a new/sharp xacto blade and roll the blade over the tube which has a bit of rod thru it and kinda slice it like a salami. This is good for repetative parts like depth charges plane cylinders etc. The trick is to draw the parts so they touch each other along a rolled tube. The pics show the original foredeck and the redone one. That's it for tonight, I have a long weekend in the trenches so this'll be it for a few days...
Attached Thumbnails
JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0602.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0600.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0598.jpg   JSC's USS Card CVE11 1/400 scale repaint-img_0601.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Looks great. Don't forget to double up the watertight doors.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Fascinating, you are building in a scale beyond my skills, and the attention to detail puts this build @ a level as seen in 1/200th. Looking forward to more.:DRick
Google Adsense