PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Hey, this looks like the start of something very impressive!
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Moshe ! This is my all time favourite Aircraft Carrier, and the kit you are building looks wonderful {you're doing fine work here } Just one question.... how much was the kit ?. I will enjoy watching this build for sure P.S are there any aircraft supplied with the kit ?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 81.10 MB
Good luck Moshe - looks like you are going to be busy for a long time
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Moshe ! This is my all time favourite Aircraft Carrier, and the kit you are building looks wonderful {you're doing fine work here } Just one question.... how much was the kit ?. I will enjoy watching this build for sure P.S are there any aircraft supplied with the kit ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachil View Post
Good luck Moshe - looks like you are going to be busy for a long time
Thanks Peter & Tzachi. The kit price was $125. That was after a 10% discount for the friends of the Mowe (H&B Precision Card Models' newsletter subscribers) and the $25 s&h. The kit comes with six aircrafts and I also purchased the d/l version of this aircrafts set.

There are four pieces of skin on each side of the hull, and only after gluing 6 of them, I noticed too late that the base plate (made also of four pieces) is twisted, the right rear end, is about 5mm in the air. I was working very fast and completely forgot all the little that I knew about building ships :o I did not have this problem with the 1/160 scale Conti Belgica, which have only two base plate and two skin pieces on each side.
Fortunately, the kit was expensive, and this motivates me to fix the problem. The kit is undergoing a very nasty surgery now. Peeling off the glued skin pieces and re-attaching it carefully. This time MAKING SURE that all the base plates lay flat on the desk. And if it's still not good, I'll look for another solution. I'm not going to give up on it.

The first and second pictures are before I realized I have a problem. The third picture shows the beginning of the surgery and the fourth picture shows my overloaded shelf, completed and some of the in-progress kits.
Attached Thumbnails
1/250 Wilhelmshaven's Aircraft Carrier "Nimitz"-008.jpg   1/250 Wilhelmshaven's Aircraft Carrier "Nimitz"-009.jpg   1/250 Wilhelmshaven's Aircraft Carrier "Nimitz"-peeled_skin.jpg   1/250 Wilhelmshaven's Aircraft Carrier "Nimitz"-009b.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
...and you scanned the parts and reprinted them right?
so this "accident" doesn't really cost you anything but the effort...right?
Google Adsense
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
...and you scanned the parts and reprinted them right?
so this "accident" doesn't really cost you anything but the effort...right?
Yes, I scanned the sheets and I'll reprint the parts only if I have no other choice. I'll reuse the existing parts with some color corrections.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hi Moshe. I'm sure you will fix this without too much headache, on the Titanic i made {35 inches long - and on a thread here - Link below} i pinned the base plate to a long piece of flat timber to make sure i didn't get this same problem - this is the big issue with hulls this length, and marking up a centre line from Bow to Stern helps to keep it all straight and true - but you'll be back on track i am sure - DONT GIVE UP especially as you say, this is a costly piece of kit.

The beautiful TITANIC !
Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Hi Moshe. I'm sure you will fix this without too much headache, on the Titanic i made {35 inches long - and on a thread here - Link below} i pinned the base plate to a long piece of flat timber to make sure i didn't get this same problem - this is the big issue with hulls this length, and marking up a centre line from Bow to Stern helps to keep it all straight and true - but you'll be back on track i am sure - DONT GIVE UP especially as you say, this is a costly piece of kit.

The beautiful TITANIC !

These angrylies are instead of the reply I started typing and Firefox crashed on me, without recovering the halfway unposted reply.

I knew I had to use some rigid flat surface for it and I even have something that I only needed to cut it to the correct width, but from some reason, my mind went blank, and I made another mistake, gluing the skin pieces while the hull is on its side. I pulled the pieces, here and there for them to be glued tight and of course everything got twisted.

I learned(?) yet again my lesson - no shortcuts, must follow correct order of building sequence

Peter, your Titanic looks very good. I felt a little cold, looking at the ice there
Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
not been a huge builder but I seen someone on here that does seem to build a lot of ships mention something about building on a mirror or glass to keep things from twisting.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
not been a huge builder but I seen someone on here that does seem to build a lot of ships mention something about building on a mirror or glass to keep things from twisting.
That is correct, when building the frame for a ship, a piece of glass with the base plate rubber cemented to hold flat until the frame w/deck is completed and the glue has had time to cure out. This has always worked for me and not a single time did I wind up w/a twisted frame. My next questions is this, I have also a Wilhelmshaven AC, the sheets are large, did you have yours copied thru a business, or do you have a copier that will handle these large sheets? It is for this reason I have not built mine, cost more to copy than what I paid for the kit and you got it @ a deal compaired to what I saw this same kit for, about 6 months ago w/ship!Rick
Google Adsense